Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
EcoboostKev

Towing with EcoBoost & Equalizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan222 View Post
Hey, Nice looking setup. How did the EcoBoost do towing? Hopefully we will be getting the Xlite 28RBS soon. I hope the weather stays nice. Enjoy camping!
I have to tell you im very impressed with this motor! Dont get me wrong I certainly did know the trailer was back there but it pulled the hills great and even on the big hills it never went over 2500 rpm's and the cruise was set between 60-65mph. I know its not a big badass diesel but it is a very impressive motor!! I also averaged 10.6 mpg on the 5hr ride home..
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
dan222

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev View Post
I have to tell you im very impressed with this motor! Dont get me wrong I certainly did know the trailer was back there but it pulled the hills great and even on the big hills it never went over 2500 rpm's and the cruise was set between 60-65mph. I know its not a big badass diesel but it is a very impressive motor!! I also averaged 10.6 mpg on the 5hr ride home..
I have been reading the same about the EcoBoost towing. This reassures me that I picked the right truck. What type of WD are you using with the Outback? The Xlite has limited room in front so I hope the Equalizer will work nicely.
DW,DS,DD and Riley (Goldendoodle)
dan222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
EcoboostKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan222 View Post
I have been reading the same about the EcoBoost towing. This reassures me that I picked the right truck. What type of WD are you using with the Outback? The Xlite has limited room in front so I hope the Equalizer will work nicely.
I am using the Equal-i-zer too. I had no problems on the 5hr ride home except for the 50+ mph gusts of wind every once in awhile! Other than that it towed straight as an arrow
Old 03-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
richf28

I too have the ecoboost and the engine is remarkable for towing our Hornet. The extra torque is very impressive on the hills. I will be leaving Florida on Tuesday and heading back home to Pa. I will be pulling some pretty big hills through Va. And West Va. Will see how it does them. I was using a Reese Dual Cam but had sway problems above 50 or in breezy conditions. I just purchased a Hensley and am excited to see how that works. I too get about 10.5 mpg while towing.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
heatkits

Well, I don't have an EcoBoost engine or a Equalizer hitch, so why am I responding the this thread? Although I have thought about trading in my 2011 F150 HD for one based on all the hype I've been reading. But, I'm not convinced it's worth it, you get less than a half a mile/gal better towing and 4 mile/gal empty (my truck is never driven empty). I'm towing over 9K in trailer (2012 Cougar High Country 321 RES) with the Reese DC. The Reese does a very good job keeping the beast behind me in line. The only problem I had was on the last trip to FL with side gust of over 30MPH, but then everybody was all over the road. Ford's trailer stabilization system would snap the trailer back in to its place in a hart beat.
As far as having enough power; those hills in VA (I77) and Pennsylvania were no problem at all, could easily maintain highway speeds over them.

I guess my problem is that I still remember how costly it was to maintain a turbo and now you're talking two on an engine... what could possibly go wrong??? I know I have to have faith in modern technology, but my last truck lost the cam phaser which cause a horrible engine knock and loss of power. Ford wanted $3K to fix it on engine with 40K on it, so I traded it only to get the recall notice a couple months later.

My next truck will probably be an EcoBoost engine of some kind (I'd like to see it on 5.4L).
heatkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
f6bits

I’m not sure how the anti-sway system on the truck would snap things back. If you have the Reese Dual Cam, then I expect that your truck and trailer were in a relatively straight line. From what I’ve read, the trailer sway control corrects the rear end if it’s not pointing where the front wheels are going. I believe it’s geared for setups that don’t have sway control built into the hitch setup.

I’m with you on the turbo concern. Ford says EcoBoost is designed to last 150,000 miles. That would take me at least ten years to reach. The gas mileage is a plus, but I don’t do much driving, except on trips. I suspect I’ll end up with a V8 unless I find a great deal on a used EcoBoost.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
dan222

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatkits View Post
Well, I don't have an EcoBoost engine or a Equalizer hitch, so why am I responding the this thread? Although I have thought about trading in my 2011 F150 HD for one based on all the hype I've been reading. But, I'm not convinced it's worth it, you get less than a half a mile/gal better towing and 4 mile/gal empty (my truck is never driven empty). I'm towing over 9K in trailer (2012 Cougar High Country 321 RES) with the Reese DC. The Reese does a very good job keeping the beast behind me in line. The only problem I had was on the last trip to FL with side gust of over 30MPH, but then everybody was all over the road. Ford's trailer stabilization system would snap the trailer back in to its place in a hart beat.
As far as having enough power; those hills in VA (I77) and Pennsylvania were no problem at all, could easily maintain highway speeds over them.

I guess my problem is that I still remember how costly it was to maintain a turbo and now you're talking two on an engine... what could possibly go wrong??? I know I have to have faith in modern technology, but my last truck lost the cam phaser which cause a horrible engine knock and loss of power. Ford wanted $3K to fix it on engine with 40K on it, so I traded it only to get the recall notice a couple months later.

My next truck will probably be an EcoBoost engine of some kind (I'd like to see it on 5.4L).
I get 15 around town using it as my daily driver. Next week I will be towing a friend's trailer so I will see how it does. Especially since we will be doing a mix of highway and country roads.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
mjhaa43

Ecoboost

it does a great job i have no problem with my 32res i get 14mpg and with no camper 17 to 18
mjhaa43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
game warden

All of my friends that have the ecco`s love them !Ford hit a home run with this engine, most are getting around 20-22. One buddy of mine is pulling a 25 ft passport with claims of 12-15 mpgs. See you Ford dealer to perform the new re-flash.I have copied the service bulletin for you to read.
FORD: 2011-2012 F-150

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 F150 vehicles built on or before 2/7/2012 and equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) engine may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with various diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) and driveability concerns.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

The calibration update contains improvement actions and enhancements to address the following conditions:

Intermittent engine surge during moderate to light loads at cruise.
Enhancements to misfire monitor detection.
Powertrain control module (PCM) DTC P0430 and/or P0096.
NOTE: INSURE ALL HARD FAULT POWERTRAIN DTCS ARE ADDRESSED PRIOR TO PERFORMING THE CALIBRATION UPDATE.

If the vehicle exhibits DTC P0430 replace the left bank catalytic converter. Refer to WSM section 309-00. Proceed to Step 2.
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 77A.03A or higher. This new calibration is not included in the 2012.1A DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

This really improves the ecco`s ask your dealer to do this flash for you even if the check engine light is on...it will be covered under the 3/36
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
EcoboostKev

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatkits View Post

I thought the HD package didnt come out until 2012?? All you were able to get in 2011 was the max tow pkg. What engine do you have in your truck? If its the 6.2 then you wouldnt notice much of a difference in power compared to the ecoboost but if you have the 5.0 I was told that with the ecoboosts torque curve it towes much better even though the horsepower and torque #'s are similar. Hook that 9000# trailer of yours to a ecoboost and you will become a believer!! If your that worried about the turbos giving you problems then just get the extended warranty to set your mind at ease..
Old 03-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
heatkits

[QUOTE=sdayman;32530]"I’m not sure how the anti-sway system on the truck would snap things back. If you have the Reese Dual Cam, then I expect that your truck and trailer were in a relatively straight line. From what I’ve read, the trailer sway control corrects the rear end if it’s not pointing where the front wheels are going. I believe it’s geared for setups that don’t have sway control built into the hitch setup."

For those of you that either don't have the Max Tow package or haven't been in a situation where it has been activated here's how it works; There are gryo sensors built into the truck, if the back of the truck moves out of alignment with the front, the ABS applies the trailer breaks, thus pulling the trailer back in line. Since it's an totally intergraded system that is connecting speed, steering movements, brake application and vehicles geometry. Once any of these inputs goes out of the norm, the trailer stabilization activated, an alert chime is rung, a message is displayed and the breaks are applied according.

During our recent trip to FL we hit sever cross winds in Georgia and the system was activated 6 times. The first time took me by surprise as I wasn't expecting it and I was thrown forward into my seatbelt, from that point on it was a welcome relief to have help keeping the beast in control. And Yes, it does happen in a hartbeat.

Another great feature of the integrated braking system is that; it recognizes different trailers, I have a five ton dump trailer that I use about once a month and the breaks are getting worn out and I need the gain turned all the way up to 10, my utility trailer that I use every week has a single axel and the gain need to be turned way down to 1 and the 321RES is new and 5 works best for it. It automatically reset the gain for the trailer, I've also notice when the dump trailer is empty and I have set the gain to 4 or 5 it will move back up to 10 when loaded. This is big help for me as I never remember to reset the gain on the old truck and would be thrown into steering wheel each time I used the camper. Modern technology at its best.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
heatkits

Quote:
I thought the HD package didnt come out until 2012?? All you were able to get in 2011 was the max tow pkg. What engine do you have in your truck? If its the 6.2 then you wouldnt notice much of a difference in power compared to the ecoboost but if you have the 5.0 I was told that with the ecoboosts torque curve it towes much better even though the horsepower and torque #'s are similar. Hook that 9000# trailer of yours to a ecoboost and you will become a believer!! If your that worried about the turbos giving you problems then just get the extended warranty to set your mind at ease..
The 8200 GVW package has been around for a long time I had it on my 06 F150. In order to get it the snowplow package you have to get the HD package which comes with the Max Tow, 8' bed and XLT Super-cab trim package. Now I think you can get it in several different packages and cab and bed configurations.

My father had a 1982 F150 camper special, which had 8900 GVW, a 460 engine with 4 speed automatic. He hauled a 38' HR alumalight 5th wheel and put 250,000 miles on it. He crisscross the states for 15 years. Springs, breaks, tires, the seat a transmission and normal maintaince on the engine was all that was ever done on it.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
Katt

28 RBS Tongue weight concern?

Has anybody had problems with leveling the 28 rbs with a 2004 f150 screw. I have the Equalizer hitch and the dealer set it up, but it has way to much pressure on the bars! Hopefully it just needs adjusted, but my big concern is if the water tank is all the way up front and how much worse it will be when filled!
Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

Most people try to avoid, if at all possible, travelling with their water tanks filled. Travelling with them filled and with the resulting increase in weight usually results in lower gas mileage and may place extra weight on the pin/hitch. Would it not be possible for you to travel with a small amount of water in your tank? If you are heading off to a place where you will be dry camping, try waiting until you get to the last place where you can get water before filling your FW tank.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #15
EcoboostKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt View Post
Has anybody had problems with leveling the 28 rbs with a 2004 f150 screw. I have the Equalizer hitch and the dealer set it up, but it has way to much pressure on the bars! Hopefully it just needs adjusted, but my big concern is if the water tank is all the way up front and how much worse it will be when filled!
What is the payload rating on your truck?? I was interested in the same trailer but the dry hitch weight on that 955lbs.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
dan222

Quote:
What is the payload rating on your truck?? I was interested in the same trailer but the dry hitch weight on that 955lbs.
Hi Kev, I am interested in the 28RBS too, I have the Ecoboost with Max Tow and was a little worried about the 950 hitch weight also. I hope Katt replies, I have been trying to get people's opinions on this trailer from a few forums but no luck yet.