Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Mij

I Ball Wireless Camera

Has anyone own or used this for a rear camera system. I like the idea of moving the camera from the vehicle to the rear of the camper.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
2011 keystone

I have one of the cheap wal-mart wireless camara's that I use foe hitching
up it works pretty good. no more being off to one side or the other by an inch or to and needing to pull up and try again.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
michol02

I also have one of those Walmart wireless cameras, but it was out of range to use as a back-up camera on the rear of the trailer, so I bought a wired camera(from Walmart). It came with 60' of cable, which I ran from the inside of rear window of the trailer(where i mounted the camera) through the floor to the tongue of the trailer. I plug it into a cable coming from an old portable DVD player in my tow vehicle. I still use the wireless camera for hitching up(uses the same DVD player). It's not the best system in the world, but it was a heck of a lot cheaper than the back-up systems I've been looking at.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Oscar

I have the iBall.

The lens is so much of a fish eye that it is hard to have any depth perception over a distance. That said it will work all the way to the back of the camper. I use a tractor to move my TT from it's hangar to the staging point, and then through the gate to the driveway where I hook up the truck. There are a few spots where I have less than a foot to play with and I use the iBall to help me stay out of trouble. I've installed a cigarette lighter outlet on the tractor for it. (Should have seen the faces at NAPA when I explained that one... ) For hooking up the hitch it is absolutely awesome.

The 9 volt battery in the camera needs to be very fresh, or the picture quality deteriorates quickly. Also, it appears the thing does it's business on the same band as the bluetooth connection in my truck so especially when I fire up the truck and my iPhone and the truck "shake hands" there's a lot of interference. I can either wait 'till they are done, or turn off the bluetooth in my phone.

For the money I really like the thing.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #5
richf28

I have a Pyle plcm105 backup camera. Has 2 camera ability and comes with one camera. It is a color system with a scale feature to help hooking up. I installed a second camera on the back of my camper so I can see the rear while towing so I know I'm clear of vehicles when passing and helps when backing up. Bought mine from caraudiodeals.com. Great company to deal with and good pricing.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
I have the iBall.

The lens is so much of a fish eye that it is hard to have any depth perception over a distance. That said it will work all the way to the back of the camper. I use a tractor to move my TT from it's hangar to the staging point, and then through the gate to the driveway where I hook up the truck. There are a few spots where I have less than a foot to play with and I use the iBall to help me stay out of trouble. I've installed a cigarette lighter outlet on the tractor for it. (Should have seen the faces at NAPA when I explained that one... ) For hooking up the hitch it is absolutely awesome.

The 9 volt battery in the camera needs to be very fresh, or the picture quality deteriorates quickly. Also, it appears the thing does it's business on the same band as the bluetooth connection in my truck so especially when I fire up the truck and my iPhone and the truck "shake hands" there's a lot of interference. I can either wait 'till they are done, or turn off the bluetooth in my phone.

For the money I really like the thing.
x2. bad fisheye, and the 9v battery must be VERY VERY fresh, and even then I had enough interference from bluetooth and other stuff that it seldom worked even at the back of the truck, let alone the back of the trailer. wasn't impressed and went back to a wired in camera with a regular lense.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Mij

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf28 View Post
I have a Pyle plcm105 backup camera. Has 2 camera ability and comes with one camera. It is a color system with a scale feature to help hooking up. I installed a second camera on the back of my camper so I can see the rear while towing so I know I'm clear of vehicles when passing and helps when backing up. Bought mine from caraudiodeals.com. Great company to deal with and good pricing.
This isn't to badly priced. Where to stick the 10" monitor?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #8
richf28

The Pyle monitor snaps right over your inside rear view mirror. It is a monitor and mirror combo. I like it because it is a dark glass which helps with lights behind you and the larger mirror.....well it speaks for it self. Pictures quality is great.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote