Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2022, 09:59 AM   #1
Stovebolt

Windshield leak

Hi all.

We just bought a Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 25rds. We picked up the trailer May 12th. Up until today, we have had some heavy rain storms but no leaks in the trailer. Today, 5/21 we had a torrential downpour and after it quit, I went out to start loading the trailer with goodies. I was going to make the bed when I discovered that the bed cover was wet on the upper right corner (standing at the bottom of the mattress looking at the front window). I felt all along the windshield, the closets on either side of the bed, the ceiling, under the cabinets across above the windshield and not a drop of water to be found. Anyone else have any issues like this? I was leery of buying a unit with the front window just because of something like this. I haven't done a hose water check yet nor have I checked the caulking on the front yet. I was hoping someone could steer me to an area that maybe someone else has had this problem before I become a monkey and the football trick. LOL.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:51 AM   #2
NH_Bulldog

I would start at the top. Check where the roof meets the front cap, and then check the clearance lights. My parents had a bad leak in the front area because of the lights so when we got ours, I pulled and sealed all of the clearance lights. On the lower rear corner marker lights, I have found lines from where water had filled the lenses. Had I not sealed them, that water could have entered the wall. Solution? Drill a small hole on the bottom edge of my marker lights so that if any water gets in, it will just drain right out.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:17 AM   #3
Stovebolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I would start at the top. Check where the roof meets the front cap, and then check the clearance lights. My parents had a bad leak in the front area because of the lights so when we got ours, I pulled and sealed all of the clearance lights. On the lower rear corner marker lights, I have found lines from where water had filled the lenses. Had I not sealed them, that water could have entered the wall. Solution? Drill a small hole on the bottom edge of my marker lights so that if any water gets in, it will just drain right out.
Thanks for your reply. You'll never guess where I found the leak. This unit has what I call strip lights on top of the cap above the windshield and strip lights below like hash marks. When they installed the strip light on top there was a 1/8 size hole for what looks like the wires to come through for the lights but they brought the wires up through the other side and never filled the hole on the other side. I lifted the end of the lights and there it was, the hole. Thank goodness for silicon LOL. I believe we are all good now.

I am going to check the marker lights too. I might as well go over anything like that just in case. I'd rather find it at home than on the road.

Thanks again for you reply and for giving another place to look.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:11 PM   #4
4Papa

Hey Stovebolt! Same issue here with exactly the same model and year! Picked up my unit in April and didn't notice any interior leaks until later this summer (after probably a few torrential, wind-driven downpours). Checked on the camper in our driveway one day and noticed a dry water stain on the mattress pad near the TOP LEFT corner of the mattress. A few more camping trips and noticed no leaks. Then one night during a heavy rain while camping I noticed a slow drip coming off the bottom left corner of the plastic window frame above the bed.

I love the idea of the windshield as I've always been annoyed at the lack of forward visibility in any of my previous campers, but I too was concerned about potential leaks. Sure enough my fear was justified. Anyway, I'm hoping the source of my leak is identical to yours, simple sloppy manufacturing. I'd love to fix this myself as my dealer is five hours north and in the wrong part of the country when the season is heading into winter.
4Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:15 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Papa View Post
Hey Stovebolt! Same issue here with exactly the same model and year! Picked up my unit in April and didn't notice any interior leaks until later this summer (after probably a few torrential, wind-driven downpours). Checked on the camper in our driveway one day and noticed a dry water stain on the mattress pad near the TOP LEFT corner of the mattress. A few more camping trips and noticed no leaks. Then one night during a heavy rain while camping I noticed a slow drip coming off the bottom left corner of the plastic window frame above the bed.

I love the idea of the windshield as I've always been annoyed at the lack of forward visibility in any of my previous campers, but I too was concerned about potential leaks. Sure enough my fear was justified. Anyway, I'm hoping the source of my leak is identical to yours, simple sloppy manufacturing. I'd love to fix this myself as my dealer is five hours north and in the wrong part of the country when the season is heading into winter.
The OP hasn't been on the site since May. You might want to add a signature per the newest forum rule.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:01 AM   #6
gregrc75

Quote:

Hi, 2022 25RDS as well. Same problem. My windshield did not leak, it was the entry hole for the LED strip lights. Sealed it up good and never had an issue since. I do check it periodically to make sure the sealant hasn’t shrunk or cracked etc.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 10:39 AM   #7
4Papa

Was it the top strip light or one of the lower two lights?
Old 10-18-2022, 03:14 PM   #8
gregrc75

Quote:
Was it the top strip light or one of the lower two lights?
It was the top strip light but I did check the lower ones and add sealant there to be safe.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 10-19-2022, 04:23 AM   #9
4Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
It was the top strip light but I did check the lower ones and add sealant there to be safe.
Makes sense that the reported leaks are coming from the top lights as the bottom strips I believe are below the leaks. Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-19-2022, 05:25 AM   #10
gregrc75

No problem!

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA

Tags
leak