Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2022, 05:47 PM   #1
Maximilian

Black tank sensor

We bought a used 2018 springdale 311re
The dealer says the black tank is empty but may have a build up on the sensors. When we check with the push button read out it says 2/3 full. Ive used stuff to brake down any "media" inside but it's still saying g 2/3 full. Any way to physically spray these tanks out?

I'm new to this.
Maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:56 PM   #2
1tenor

I have a "wand" with a rotating spray nozzle on the end. I got it at WalMart I think. You connect it to a water hose and hold the flush valve open on the toilet. Stick the wand in and turn it on (it has a little valve on the wand). Move it all around and see if you can clean some of the goop off. However, in most cases, you can pretty much bet the gauges will never be very accurate. Some people put a bag of ice down the toilet and drive around a bit to try and let the ice dislodge the poo.

Good luck and welcome.
1tenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:04 AM   #3
German Shepherd Guy

Those gauges are notoriously bad. Most likely you will need just develop a "feel" for when it needs emptying. Remember to only empty when it is near full, even if you are in a campground with full hook-ups. That is so you do not develop "build up" inside the tank. You might try filling the tank about 2/3 full with water and a little dish soap and driving around so that the motion acts as an agitator to clean it.
Welcome to the forum.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:56 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

Typically it is due to paper products caught on the sensor pins, probably like cement at this point. I would suggest filling the tank partway, adding Borax detergent, and then go for a drive, then drain, rinse and repeat. The longer the soak, the more likely you are to get the build-up off the sensors. Moving forward, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure….
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:04 AM   #5
Weldon

I try to add 5 gallons of water, borax, and zep concentrate to both tanks, then drive to our destination camp ground. Works really well for smell and sensors. I've used the "swizzle stick" from Walmart as well. I think the reason both worked for us is because the paper on the sensors didn't have a chance to turn to cement. The measurements for the borax are on you tube. Look for the "poo pyramid" from the rv guy. Looks like a 1960's Berkeley resident but really knows his stuff.

https://www.trbowlin.com/bio-geo-method/
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:38 AM   #6
travelin texans

I've NEVER owned a rv that the sensors were worth the stuff they were suppose the indicate. There are a handful the say there's are accurate or "right on", not sure how they can possibly know for sure without physically measuring the level & comparing to the sensors. Mine were ALWAYS "right on", right on 1/3 or 2/3 EVERY time you looked at the sensors even when the shower or kitchen sink is standing full of water. And I've tried every magic potion or method ever mentioned with exact same 1/3 or 2/3 readings afterwards when the tanks are empty.
If your sure you have build up in the black tank I'd work diligently to get it as clear as possible, but wouldn't spend to much time, $$ or effort on the worthless sensors
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:42 PM   #7
Maximilian

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I'm going to try them all. My fear is since it's a used camper that there may be dookie coral like build up. Never know if it was properly emptied either when traded in. Ive been looking for a reason to buy a plumbers camera so I may do that and take a look inside 🤢
Maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:58 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I'm going to try them all. My fear is since it's a used camper that there may be dookie coral like build up. Never know if it was properly emptied either when traded in. Ive been looking for a reason to buy a plumbers camera so I may do that and take a look inside ��
There really shouldn't be a need for a camera. Just turn the water pump and city water off, step on the toilet flush pedal and shine a bright flashlight "down the hole". The bottom of the black tank is only about 7-8 inches below the trailer floor and you can easily see the plastic tank bottom or, if there's a "poo buildup" you'll see the "crusty evidence".... If you see what looks like a dark gray/black plastic surface, the tank is "relatively clean without buildup".

If you have a black tank flush system, you can turn that on, again step on the toilet pedal and visualize the spray patter as the nozzle sprays water into the tank.

Don't expect a lot from your black tank flush. This video will give you some idea of just how "pitiful" the pressure stream is and just how "ineffective" the cleaning capability really is: Take a look at about the 4:30 mark and you'll see the "high pressure cleaning capability".... And remember, in your trailer, the pressure is "reduced further by flowing through the anti-siphon valve" on its way to the spray nozzle.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:05 PM   #9
bsmith0404

One good thing, mine has never showed full when it’s empty. Pretty common for 1/3 or 2/3. The nice part about that is if it ever shows full, there’s a pretty good chance it actually IS full.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
One good thing, mine has never showed full when it’s empty. Pretty common for 1/3 or 2/3. The nice part about that is if it ever shows full, there’s a pretty good chance it actually IS full.
That's how mine works. I don't pay any attention to those idiot lights in the panel. Let my eyes and ears be my guage.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank