Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2022, 10:57 AM   #41
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
We've been looking for them for months. Not frozen, just refrigerated. In a green and white bag. Between the eggs and dairy at WalMart. They have disappeared.
We bought 2 bags of them today. Just above the eggs in WalMart.
Winston-Salem, NC
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:04 AM   #42
Bandit12

We've started buying the dehydrated hash browns in the little milk container looking package. Heat some water, either in the electric kettle if we have hook ups or on the stove if we don't, fill container to the top, let them sit for 10 minutes or so, squeeze out the excess water and griddle 'em up! Tastes great and just like the ones we get at our local breakfast diner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Convict Lake Breakfast May 2019.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	39056  
Attached Images

Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:12 AM   #43
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I like those too but there's just something about those shredded potatoes cooked crispy with my 3 over easy eggs, 4 strips of bacon and biscuits and gravy...or pancakes. That's the only time I eat hash browns but I love them. I might have to eat more bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy...or all of the above.
All correct but 3 sunny and runny ;-)
Old 03-31-2022, 09:54 AM   #44
Life-in-Him

Quote:
As far as "my" hashbrowns

As far as making my own, I can but won't....unless I actually start going into withdrawal. I'll just try to make do until I can find a bag. I'm trying OraIda "chopped/chunked" (square cubes) hash browns right now and they aren't worth a flip....maybe to throw in some potato soup or something but not good for much else.
Must be very very careful & don't forget those "chain male" gloves.
After all these are veggies not beef your seeking...
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:42 AM   #45
skmct

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Good idea. Thanks.
In my area walmart and tractor supply had none. I found it at home depot in the one gallon container.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:08 PM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Well, after over 2 weeks both stores had all kinds of frozen potatoes including the hash browns yesterday afternoon!! Still none of the non frozen Simply Potatoes though. Maybe a ship came in??

I have never seen the dehydrated hash browns before. I will look for them when I'm next in the store and give them a whirl. Thanks for the tip.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:17 PM   #47
Bandit12

Quote:
Well, after over 2 weeks both stores had all kinds of frozen potatoes including the hash browns yesterday afternoon!! Still none of the non frozen Simply Potatoes though. Maybe a ship came in??

I have never seen the dehydrated hash browns before. I will look for them when I'm next in the store and give them a whirl. Thanks for the tip.
I got those at Costco, but I'm sure Sam's, Walmart or even the local grocery store might have them. I like them not only because they are tasty, but I can pack a whole case of them, they weigh next to nothing and take up very little space in the pantry. I admit I was skeptical of them at first, but after trying them, I'm sold.

Edit to add: I'm fairly certain that if all else fails, you could order them from Amazon.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:14 PM   #48
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
We've started buying the dehydrated hash browns in the little milk container looking package. Heat some water, either in the electric kettle if we have hook ups or on the stove if we don't, fill container to the top, let them sit for 10 minutes or so, squeeze out the excess water and griddle 'em up! Tastes great and just like the ones we get at our local breakfast diner.
Have also bought these! IMHO they're better than the frozen ones.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:15 PM   #49
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
We have been buying these from Costco for camping and at home for the past few years. You can’t beat the dehydrated hashbrowns. Start the Keurig. Open top of carton. Stick carton under Keurig. Add largest amount of hot water. Let sit for 12 minutes. Dump in pan and cook. Viola! Better hashbrowns than any I’ve tried from frozen. Dang, now I’m hungry for breakfast burritos.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:26 PM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

I'm about to try them. I didn't want to go to the city to get them so Amazon will have them here Tues. Looking forward to trying them.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:26 PM   #51
BigBobIa

So why are they better than a shredded raw potato?
Old 03-31-2022, 06:35 PM   #52
sourdough
Site Team

As for me, I don't know. A shredded raw potato takes work, rinsing, drying etc. I don't want to spend that much time doing all that these days so look at a quicker option that still tastes good, hopefully these fit that bill.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:36 PM   #53
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobIa View Post
Not sure if they're "better" in the literal sense, but the processing removes some of the starch, which turns to sugar as you eat them, so the "taste" is different. Some people prefer the "less sweet flavor"... Others don't.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:13 PM   #54
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobIa View Post
I’m not sure they are better than a raw potato. But, to me, they taste much more like a shredded raw potato, when rehydrated and before cooking, than the frozen hashbrowns ever have. And, I do like to eat raw potatoes with a little salt on them, so kinda have an idea…. . The main attraction for me is the time saved. I don’t want to/ have the time to shred raw potatoes for hashbrowns.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:19 PM   #55
flybouy
Site Team

Dehydrated foods can concentrate flavors as well making the flavors more intense.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:48 PM   #56
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
I’m not sure they are better than a raw potato. But, to me, they taste much more like a shredded raw potato, when rehydrated and before cooking, than the frozen hashbrowns ever have. And, I do like to eat raw potatoes with a little salt on them, so kinda have an idea…. . The main attraction for me is the time saved. I don’t want to/ have the time to shred raw potatoes for hashbrowns.

Raw potatoes with salt reminds me;

I love raw vegetables and like what I call a veggie plate; raw potatoes, bell pepper, radishes and cheese, I can make that supper.

I got married very young (teen ager) thus had no money. My mom came over to our little one room apt. one evening and I hade a plate of raw potatoes, some slices of bell pepper and some radishes (couldn't afford cheese then). My mom went ballistic with DW for feeding me such garbage and not taking care of me. I got that straightened out straight away but never forgot her take on a veggie plate (my dad hated vegetables). Thanks, your post just made that pop into my head.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #57
gearhead

Oh the memories. I rode with a wrangler transporting climbers to Popes Nose Mtn north of Durango. On the way back down to the trailhead he pulls a raw potato out of his saddle bag and commences to eating it like an apple. It was getting dark and we had at least an hour of riding to go. I'm thinking he will be getting sick before the ride is over and here I will be in the middle of nowhere and not knowing where the trailhead is. Of course the horses knew where we were going and just followed the trail in the dark.
The biggest casualty was my butt. I offered the wranglers daughter my MasterCard for a butt rub. No deal.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:49 PM   #58
sourdough
Site Team

Finally got some freeze dried hash browns! Here's a link to what I bought;

https://www.amazon.com/Idaho-Spuds-P...ps%2C94&sr=8-2

I did not buy the "Idahoan" brand in the 2.2lb. box simply due to size. These are in little milk cartons and each one makes a LOT (more than DW and I can eat at breakfast). I also thought we would have to drain and dry them but the amount of water indicated is perfect and there wasn't a drop left to drain/dry. Figured we can store these much easier BUT, each carton makes more than we need so thinking about that big container and sorting it out someway. Also these have a little different flavor than what I'm used to but nothing bad, just different. Figure since I've gained so much weight on this trip I'll just order the big container and try them too to see which one tastes the best. Just seems like one can't go wrong with hashbrowns however you use them (DW says she's going to throw some into a pot of potato soup).

I appreciate the tip on these as I never knew they existed. My exposure to freeze dried food was packets of various meals I used to buy to go camping - not so primo IMO. Just thought I'd update.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:38 PM   #59
Mboys

My guess is the Hash Browns are floating around with the Saltine crackers. We can't find them anywhere. DW suggested baking potatoes and keep them in the frig. When you want HB's simply shred and heat. Peel if you like em dirty.
Reece 20K
Mboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:49 PM   #60
sourdough
Site Team

Baking takes propane so I keep it to a minimum since it's a pain to get them out and to town to refill. I could nuke them but it's still "work" to shred etc. I love to cook and used to spend HOURS a day cooking and prepping for meals and it was fun. Fast forward a few decades and although I have more time now than I ever did I'm kinda into "easy".