Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #1
jasin1

Blackstone grill

I have a small tabletop magma grill that I use on boats but I’m thinking of getting a 17 or 22 Blackstone.

For those that own one, how do steaks taste on a black stone…is it like frying a steak in a frying pan? I prefer a grill style and not a flat griddle but looking for something a little bigger and easier to light.
Also want to get a bag for it so I don’t have to deal with a grease getting on things.

It’s just me and my wife so I’m thinking the 17 would be big enough
Old 03-13-2022, 02:15 PM   #2
Javi

I cook steak, fajitas, and breakfast on mine. However it is not a grill and is not flame kissed.

I will state that I grew up eating steak and taters cooked on a flat top.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:26 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I cook steak, fajitas, and breakfast on mine. However it is not a grill and is not flame kissed.

I will state that I grew up eating steak and taters cooked on a flat top.
I like the idea of cooking everything else except steak and burgers on the flat top.
It would be nice to cook breakfast on a griddle

I may just get one and use my grill just for steaks

I really like their combo grill/ griddle but it’s pricey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5F7A6560-C32F-444D-96C6-9A702392912C.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	38734  
Old 03-13-2022, 02:58 PM   #4
ADQ K9

We have a 22" Blackstone and cook everything on it. It replaced a 30 year old Weber Go Anywhere Grill. I think how one seasons the Blackstone effects the taste and also. We cook rib eye steaks and they turn out pretty good IMO it all depends on how one likes their steak. I don't have room for a grill and flat top and I can cook more meals on the Blackstone (Pancakes etc. ) I was so impressed with the 22" that we are looking at one for the home deck. The only issue I have found is that it does not really keep the heat in windy conditions.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 03:37 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
We have a 22" Blackstone and cook everything on it. It replaced a 30 year old Weber Go Anywhere Grill. I think how one seasons the Blackstone effects the taste and also. We cook rib eye steaks and they turn out pretty good IMO it all depends on how one likes their steak. I don't have room for a grill and flat top and I can cook more meals on the Blackstone (Pancakes etc. ) I was so impressed with the 22" that we are looking at one for the home deck. The only issue I have found is that it does not really keep the heat in windy conditions.
Thanks I am gonna research them a little more
Old 03-13-2022, 03:39 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I have a 22 with the RV and another at home. I don't cook steaks on them generally, those go on a grill. They are so versatile though I always have one with me. Whether fajitas, bacon, eggs, pancakes, chicken, stir frys, hash brown, burgers or whatever it comes in really handy.

About those steaks; I haven't gotten it down on a flat top because I've always used a grill for steaks but I'm working on it. I used to go to San Angelo, TX all the time and they had some really great steak houses, nearly all cooked on a flat top. I LOVED those things and ate my weight in them (along with everyone else). A place called Zenter's cooked their steaks with a light garlicy crust that I loved, and haven't mastered - as mine always stick. I figure they use more oil or whatever. If I can get that mastered I will eat more steaks on the flat top but.....just can't do without my grill.

I have the carry bag for the 22 and it works great; no mess, no muss, no fuss. Obviously a seasoned grill is a bit oily but you flip it upside down on top of the bottom, slide it in the case, zip it up and put it wherever. Mine rides in the truck between the tailgate and the front edge of the Andersen.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 04:28 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have a 22 with the RV and another at home. I don't cook steaks on them generally, those go on a grill. They are so versatile though I always have one with me. Whether fajitas, bacon, eggs, pancakes, chicken, stir frys, hash brown, burgers or whatever it comes in really handy.

About those steaks; I haven't gotten it down on a flat top because I've always used a grill for steaks but I'm working on it. I used to go to San Angelo, TX all the time and they had some really great steak houses, nearly all cooked on a flat top. I LOVED those things and ate my weight in them (along with everyone else). A place called Zenter's cooked their steaks with a light garlicy crust that I loved, and haven't mastered - as mine always stick. I figure they use more oil or whatever. If I can get that mastered I will eat more steaks on the flat top but.....just can't do without my grill.

I have the carry bag for the 22 and it works great; no mess, no muss, no fuss. Obviously a seasoned grill is a bit oily but you flip it upside down on top of the bottom, slide it in the case, zip it up and put it wherever. Mine rides in the truck between the tailgate and the front edge of the Andersen.

I’m leaning towards getting one ,price isn’t much difference between the 17 and 22 so I will probably get the 22..thanks!
Old 03-13-2022, 05:19 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’m leaning towards getting one ,price isn’t much difference between the 17 and 22 so I will probably get the 22..thanks!

Get one and give it a whirl, be creative. They don't cost much of nothin but it's space and the ability to use it.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:35 AM   #9
spade117

I have the 17" for the camper and I have 28" (added wheels) for home. I added the folding lid for the 17. I do not place in a bag or anything, just make sure I wipe the feet well. It goes in the front pass thru.

Any and all food (especially steak) can be cooked on the flat top. All of our meals are either cooked on the blackstone or in/over the firepit while we camp.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:22 AM   #10
BigBobIa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I used to go to San Angelo, TX all the time and they had some really great steak houses, nearly all cooked on a flat top. I LOVED those things and ate my weight in them (along with everyone else). A place called Zenter's cooked their steaks with a light garlicy crust that I loved, and haven't mastered - as mine always stick. I figure they use more oil or whatever.
Sitting at the RAM dealer in San Angelo and asked about Rinters and where it is. My mouth watering. Covid closed it.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:09 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobIa View Post
Sitting at the RAM dealer in San Angelo and asked about Rinters and where it is. My mouth watering. Covid closed it.
Yep, COVID and "retirement at 72"...

https://ktxs.com/news/san-angelo/zen...d-of-the-month

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobIa View Post

Man that's a shame. I first went to Zenter's (the original with mom and dad) in the 60s, then it was Zenter's Daughter (the last one to close). The original was kind of out of the way, smaller and sort of "old timey cafe" feel. Daughter's was much larger, different open spaced layout and service just felt different. Steaks were still good when I last went there. I forget how long they were in business so yep, I'm not surprised they decided to hang up their spurs.

San Angelo used to be a steak lovers mecca but looks like they've sort of melted away over time. Twin Peaks used to be pretty good and we always ate their "scraps" which was just the way the steaks were cut up and served on big platters. It says it's still there but some sort of "sports bar" with scantily clad servers.. Looks like Western Sky is still there but I don't know what it would be like. Their steaks used to be very good and it was owned by a little German lady that just wandered around making sure everything was top notch - she always made sure I had a full beer. Had a week long seminar there and took DS with me to Western Sky - he ate until I thought he would pass out. He's 54 now and still talks about it. Not sure what it would be like now. Sorry Zenter's Daughter was closed.

Looks like I've got to make some reservations there and spend a little time getting reacquainted, it's distressing to think those places have closed and/or changed so much.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:10 PM   #13
jxnbbl

I have the tailgater so it is the griddle and grill combo. I additionally have a cast iron grill pan with a 'press' so that it can be used on the grill or the grill burners.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:21 PM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
I have the tailgater so it is the griddle and grill combo. I additionally have a cast iron grill pan with a 'press' so that it can be used on the grill or the grill burners.
I like that model, I wish it wasn’t $400 more then the single version…I’m having a hard time justifying the extra cost. Be nice if they sold a 17 grill model and 17 griddle model ..still only be about $400 instead of $600
Old 03-14-2022, 01:36 PM   #15
jasin1

Wait a minute lol I didn’t realize that the tailgater was only around $200. I’ve got so,e more research to do
Old 03-14-2022, 01:46 PM   #16
jxnbbl

Quote:
I like that model, I wish it wasn’t $400 more then the single version…I’m having a hard time justifying the extra cost. Be nice if they sold a 17 grill model and 17 griddle model ..still only be about $400 instead of $600

I wouldn't have bought it for that price. I just checked. I got it on sale at BJs in sept of 2020 for $209 with a "bonus cover". I additionally went out and spent probably about 50-70 for a carrying case for the grill/griddle and the stand/burners.

Maybe your looking at something else? Here is what I have

https://blackstoneproducts.com/colle...-griddle-grill
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:48 PM   #17
Lnm6170

I have 2 blackstones one for camper and one at home had for years cook everything on it . Never had a issue with wind and heat . They sell side shields that cover the gap between grill and cooing serface to block the wind . You can get a grill insert that turns it into a gas grill. And watch the youtube video on them
Lnm6170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:50 PM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
I wouldn't have bought it for that price. I just checked. I got it on sale at BJs in sept of 2020 for $209 with a "bonus cover". I additionally went out and spent probably about 50-70 for a carrying case for the grill/griddle and the stand/burners.

Maybe your looking at something else? Here is what I have

https://blackstoneproducts.com/colle...-griddle-grill
Yeah they must have retired that model. It’s on their website but no price anymore and most places are sold out of that model.
It looks like they replaced it with the more expensive version I post a picture of a few posts above. The new model has folding legs with wheels and covers on both grill and griddle
Old 03-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #19
Camping family

Quote:
I have a small tabletop magma grill that I use on boats but I’m thinking of getting a 17 or 22 Blackstone.

For those that own one, how do steaks taste on a black stone…is it like frying a steak in a frying pan? I prefer a grill style and not a flat griddle but looking for something a little bigger and easier to light.
Also want to get a bag for it so I don’t have to deal with a grease getting on things.

It’s just me and my wife so I’m thinking the 17 would be big enough
I have both the 17 for camping and the 36 at home. Love it and cook everything on it. Love steaks on it. Trick is dry steak then season with your favorite seasoning. Heat griddle up but done some butter lay steak on griddle ones seasoned just long enough for the season to get crisp them flip. Use a good spachala and scrape up the crust when flipping. Cook to your desired temp when done let rest to room temp and serve. Will be the best you ever had. Will never go back to an open flame grill.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 02:01 AM   #20
notanlines

Steak on a Blackstone is EXACTLY like a frying pan or flat grill. We have access to a large Blackstone for the summer in Wisconsin and use it plenty but not a chance burgers and steaks can be done on anything but charcoal and a little hickory. Chicken just over charcoal. Now, if we're talking fajitas or stir-fry? A BIG difference!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote