Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2022, 05:45 PM   #21
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
According to the selling agent, electric and water are to the lot line. I contacted the water company and they quoted me roughly $10K to tie into the water system. $8K fee for tapping into the main, and another $2K for digging the trench, the water meter installation, and 20 feet past the meter and capped off. As far as electric goes, I haven't researched that as of yet. When we get there, I expect to boondock on the property for a few nights. I'm taking my generator with us on our trip. Won't need it at all on the way there, I have reservations everywhere but 2 places so far on our way east. The two places I still need reservations, the window to make them doesn't open until later April. We got a membership to Harvest Host, so I plan on making use of that on our way back west. When we do start to build, we're planning on a modular 2-bedroom home of about 1350 SF. I'm still contemplating the trailer storage unit. I know the size I want is 40X60. Not sure yet if I want to go with a steel building or a pole barn. I do plan on a concrete floor and wired for electric. I want to have a sewer clean out, water hydrant, and a RV 50-amp power pedestal installed in front of the barn. That way, I have a spot to dump my tanks at home, OR if I have friends that want to visit, we have a full hook up site in the driveway.

Check out how this guy builds "pole barns", now called post frame construction. Might help you decide which way to go.

RR Buildings (plural)

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWXEQsK3UiHszjwgGN5HUeQ
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:47 PM   #22
jasin1

Quote:
Yes. I can "Camp" on the property for 2 weeks without being involved in construction of a permanent home. Once I start construction, I can stay in the trailer full time until the house is built. I think what I'm going to want to do is get the barn fully up and wired first. Then start on the house. Once the house is mostly up, I can park the trailer in the barn, lock it up, drive the truck back to California to help the DW get the house packed up and moved. With a barn as big as I'm planning, we can use it to store our household goods until the house is completely finished. We want a modular home, set on a basement foundation. Might cost us a bit more, but we want the storage of a basement as well as being able to use it as a storm shelter.
Well congratulations…looks nice and sounds great
Old 02-07-2022, 06:44 PM   #23
hornet28

JRTJH I just didn't concentrate that far out. You said halfway in the field and that's about all I looked at
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:03 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
JRTJH I just didn't concentrate that far out. You said halfway in the field and that's about all I looked at

Jack I didn't concentrate that far either...heck I can't SEE that far. After John posted his observations I looked, magnified, got my "special" specs and tried to put my newly "modified" eyes to work. I can see something, and I believe John is correct, which makes things better for the OP....but, looking thru my newly acquired "zoom" lenses, to go with my newly "improved" eyeballs, I'm thinking my vision MIGHT, or might not, see that house way "back there". Hopefully it all works out for the new house.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:25 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Maybe this will help see the house and the fence ???

OP, Damn nice piece of property and congratulations on owning a piece of paradise...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FENCE AND HOUSE.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	38272  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:12 AM   #26
JWyatt

Congratulations and what a coincidence!
The wife and I bought 5 acres south of Hot Springs also! Oh wait, ours is in Arkansas. LOL
JWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 05:20 PM   #27
msubobcats

Welcome to winter...

Nice country.
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:23 PM   #28
Bandit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
Welcome to winter...

Nice country.
The geography and climate aren't that much different from what we get here in the Sierra Nevada mountains of northern California. Besides, I spent the first 5 years of my USAF career as a cop assigned to the missile fields of Grand Forks North Dakota. I'm more concerned about the heat in the summer. When it's cold, I can always add a sweater, sweatshirt, long johns underwear, etc. When it gets hot, I can only get so naked before folks start getting sick or I get arrested! LOL!
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:15 AM   #29
Laredo Tugger

We vacationed in that area during the summer of 2020. When everyone else was in "lock down" we decided to visit that area. It was really beautiful in July/August. There is a public mineral water hot springs facility in the city of Hot Springs. You may want to soak your "new home construction" muscles in there a time or two. Maybe consider one of those many available shipping containers to load and store things in on the property while you build the house. When your house is done you can use the container as a "shop" that you can run power to and secure your tools.
Good to hear you have a plan for the cold weather and know what to expect. As for your "hot weather" plans. Well, seeing your photos I had visions of our fair weather trip. With your last sentence that "vision' changed.

RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:21 AM   #30
travelin texans

Quote:
The geography and climate aren't that much different from what we get here in the Sierra Nevada mountains of northern California. Besides, I spent the first 5 years of my USAF career as a cop assigned to the missile fields of Grand Forks North Dakota. I'm more concerned about the heat in the summer. When it's cold, I can always add a sweater, sweatshirt, long johns underwear, etc. When it gets hot, I can only get so naked before folks start getting sick or I get arrested! LOL!
In regards to your heat comment!
We now live in southern Arizona year 'round & am constantly asked by folks from the far northern states visiting "how do you stand it in the summers?" to which I say we have 6-8 weeks of extremely hot weather that you go from A/C to A/C whereas they have 6-8 months of EXTREMELY cold weather that you have to bundle up like the Michelin man to go from heat to heat.
I'll take the heat for a few weeks over months of cold any day. I wear shorts & tee shirt about 11 months a year, 350 days of sunshine, wear long pants & a light jacket for the other month.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:31 AM   #31
hornet28

Quote:
When it's cold, I can always add a sweater, sweatshirt, long johns underwear, etc. When it gets hot, I can only get so naked before folks start getting sick or I get arrested! LOL!
LOL I tell my brother who lives in Phoenix the same thing. But I don't wear long johns
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent