Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2022, 03:47 AM   #1
RickV

Do I need to anything special

Tomorrow night here in the northern portions of the "Sunshine State" it is supposed to get down to 20 degrees. I keep my 5er in a pole barn and have it setup with the slides out and the water hooked up. I plan to turn the water off and drain the lines today, the hard freeze is only gonna last about 10-12 hours. I am thinking I should be OK, is there anything else I should do? In the 10 plus years we have been RVing I never had to worry about it before.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:59 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Tomorrow night here in the northern portions of the "Sunshine State" it is supposed to get down to 20 degrees. I keep my 5er in a pole barn and have it setup with the slides out and the water hooked up. I plan to turn the water off and drain the lines today, the hard freeze is only gonna last about 10-12 hours. I am thinking I should be OK, is there anything else I should do? In the 10 plus years we have been RVing I never had to worry about it before.
Out of the wind in the barn I would disconnect the water hose and drain it. If it freezes will take quite awhile to thaw. Get a fitting and blow out your lines opening one water tap at a time. You might want to drain your water heater. Pour a bit of antifeeze into the P traps like under sink and bathroom sink. You should be fine. If you have an "all seasons" package perhaps drain the hose and run your on board heater and leave cabinet doors open.

We had a cold front come through awhile ago and I blew my lines out and drained the water heater and added antifreeze to my P traps.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:20 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you "have it set up for use, then I'd just disconnect the water hose, leave it plugged in and either leave the furnace on with the thermostat set for the lowest temperature or with an electric space heater in the main cabin set for around 60F.

If there is no power on the trailer, then disconnect the water hose, bypass and drain the water heater, blow the plumbing lines, open the low point drains, pour some RV antifreeze in each of the sink/shower traps. Don't forget to blow the water out of every outdoor faucet and the black tank flush system.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd just turn the furnace on and not worry about trying to "do and undo" the plumbing for a 1 or 2 day "cold snap"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:54 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you "have it set up for use, then I'd just disconnect the water hose, leave it plugged in and either leave the furnace on with the thermostat set for the lowest temperature or with an electric space heater in the main cabin set for around 60F.

If there is no power on the trailer, then disconnect the water hose, bypass and drain the water heater, blow the plumbing lines, open the low point drains, pour some RV antifreeze in each of the sink/shower traps. Don't forget to blow the water out of every outdoor faucet and the black tank flush system.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd just turn the furnace on and not worry about trying to "do and undo" the plumbing for a 1 or 2 day "cold snap"...

I purchased a heated fresh water hose…do most people use them when camping in cold climates?
Well I guess that’s a dumb question..but I mean do most people bother with them if there is only occasional freezing temps?
I used mine on the way back up from Florida last year because I figured it couldn’t hurt
Old 01-28-2022, 06:40 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I purchased a heated fresh water hose…do most people use them when camping in cold climates?
Well I guess that’s a dumb question..but I mean do most people bother with them if there is only occasional freezing temps?
I used mine on the way back up from Florida last year because I figured it couldn’t hurt
I guess it depends on how often you use it if it's a viable investment. For me, no I'm not camping in cold climates. For an occasional freeze, just fill the fresh water tank and use it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:00 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post

Rick where are you? I'm about 30 minutes S of Tallahassee here in the panhandle. Depending on which forecast you look at it might be something to worry about or maybe not. I will be putting out my heated hose today and pulling the water filters off (become freeze points) until Sunday. In your case I'd feel comfortable with draining the lines and disconnecting and draining the water hose. I'd also leave the faucets cracked open (hot and cold) to allow for expansion if some residual water wanted to freeze. If you can I would also leave some sort of heat on in the trailer to keep things from freezing inside (like the kitchen sink pull out hose). Worst temps I've seen forecasted are lows of about 23 degrees but the entire time under freezing won't be more than 8 hours or so. Much of that time will be in the 27-30 degree range which I don't worry about for such a short time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:03 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I carry mine any time past about mid October. I don't deploy it unless we are about to have a cold snap (winter in FL panhandle) like that predicted for Saturday. Once I put it out it will stay until we leave. I unplug the heating portion once past the cold weather. I've had a water hose freeze on me ONCE and it's a pita. Back then wrapped in heater tape; the heated hose is much more convenient.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:17 AM   #8
rjniles

When you drain the lines, hold down the toilet flush pedal to drain as much water from the valve as possible. See my recent post on this subject.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Old 01-28-2022, 07:33 AM   #9
Roper46

When it is said to drain your water heater, just draining at the low point drains will not do it. To this point living in south Georgia, all I have done was drain at the low points and open all faucets.

However, with the temps forecasted this weekend, I fully drained the water heater. This involved removing the anode rod. Even after low points drain, it was full with six gallons of water pouring out. Do not take a chance of damage to your water heater tank and pull the anode rod.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:47 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I guess it depends on how often you use it if it's a viable investment. For me, no I'm not camping in cold climates. For an occasional freeze, just fill the fresh water tank and use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I carry mine any time past about mid October. I don't deploy it unless we are about to have a cold snap (winter in FL panhandle) like that predicted for Saturday. Once I put it out it will stay until we leave. I unplug the heating portion once past the cold weather. I've had a water hose freeze on me ONCE and it's a pita. Back then wrapped in heater tape; the heated hose is much more convenient.
Will make sure I have mine in the truck
Old 01-28-2022, 08:55 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
When it is said to drain your water heater, just draining at the low point drains will not do it. To this point living in south Georgia, all I have done was drain at the low points and open all faucets.

However, with the temps forecasted this weekend, I fully drained the water heater. This involved removing the anode rod. Even after low points drain, it was full with six gallons of water pouring out. Do not take a chance of damage to your water heater tank and pull the anode rod.
Odd you mentioned the low point drains not draining the water heater!
There was a fellow on another forum telling that the vacuum created by opening the low point drainswould completely drain the water heater? I said the ONLY way to drain the heater was to pull the plug, but he continued to argue that I was wrong & he way was the ONLY way.
Take our word for it, the low point drains WILL NOT drain the water heater if equipped with an Atwood or Suburban water heater, pull the plug or the anode rod. If you have an on demand water heater or some kind of tankless heater they may drain it, I have no experience with those.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:21 AM   #12
dutchmensport

My rule of thumb has always been, (with every camper I've had), it's time to winterize when the outside temperature drops below 32 degrees, 2 days in a row.

So if the temperature at night drops to 22 at night, and then it reaches 30 in the day, then the next night it get's down to 22 again, but the next day it reaches 37, I don't winterize. It has to stay below 32, day and night, for a consecutive 48 hour period. Then I winterize.

But, this year, I winterized when the outside temperature was still in the 40's, because I kind of got tired of winterizing in freezing weather! Water in the winter on hands and cloths in freezing weather is just not fun.

For an over night drop below 32, with the camper under roof, I wouldn't be too concerned. BUT.... there is no guarantee the outside temperature will rise to above 32 any time near soon either.

So, the bottom line is, if you are concerned, just take the time to winterize and have peace of mind.

And oh ... just an FYI! I never worry about dumping RV antifreeze in my P-traps. After I've run the pink-stuff through my faucets, I unscrew the P-traps and remove them completely, dump them and leave them off until spring. I'll place a plastic grocery bag over the pipe end with a rubber band to hold it in place to keep smells out.

I do pour pink down the shower drain as I can't access the drain pipes under there.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:38 AM   #13
roadglide

I’m 130 miles south near Tampa with a 25 foot class B plus Leisure light Labero that’s setting in my driveway sold . Walmart, Home Depot Lowe’s we’re out of rv antifreeze . I did find some at tractor supply supposed to be 24 degrees this weekend. Taking my walks through housing project hills earlier . I have noticed a lot of the tropical plants hit with frost.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:15 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
A "heated hose" will prevent the hose from freezing, but does nothing for the campground faucet or the "exposed fitting on the trailer exterior". Those "heated hose ends" will still freeze as will the pipe from underground to the campground faucet.

If you have a convenience center on your trailer with a "4" port for the hose and shore power cord to enter the convenience center" many people have bought a $2 rubber plunger, unscrewed the wood handle, carved out the center and used it "upside down" to help seal the 4" entry port and keep the interior of the convenience center a bit warmer.

In short, a heated city water hose is nice, but you have to maintain unfrozen water to the heated part and from the heated part to the trailer "insulated plumbing"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:24 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A "heated hose" will prevent the hose from freezing, but does nothing for the campground faucet or the "exposed fitting on the trailer exterior". Those "heated hose ends" will still freeze as will the pipe from underground to the campground faucet.

If you have a convenience center on your trailer with a "4" port for the hose and shore power cord to enter the convenience center" many people have bought a $2 rubber plunger, unscrewed the wood handle, carved out the center and used it "upside down" to help seal the 4" entry port and keep the interior of the convenience center a bit warmer.

In short, a heated city water hose is nice, but you have to maintain unfrozen water to the heated part and from the heated part to the trailer "insulated plumbing"....

For this trailer sealing the entry into the convenience center seems to work fine since the furnace and ducting are just across from it. I also carry a couple of 3-4' heater tapes that I use at the faucet if it appears that will be an issue and just plug it into the 15/20A plug at the ped. I will say that I don't use this trailer in sustained low temp weather. About 22 is the lowest and below freezing for 6-8 hours. I used to stay out in it (very cold weather) a lot but that was back then, now it's....why?
Old 01-28-2022, 10:55 AM   #16
RickV

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will do what John suggested, that was pretty much what I had in mind.

Danny I live between High Springs and Fort White about 50 miles south of Georgia Here is the forecast from Accuweather. They have already started backing off from the forecast of the next Ice Age a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acc..jpg
Views:	79
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	38104  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:10 PM   #17
Roper46

There's an Ice Age ?? Thought we had Global Warming ?? I'm SO confused !!
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote