Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2022, 04:49 AM   #1
revrusty

nice campground bathrooms.

Recently there was a thread about someone having a problem/confrontation at a campground bathroom. Got me to thinking, for those of us that do like to take a long hot shower occasionally, that maybe some of us could share some places where we felt the CG bathroom was very nice. I am thinking of the basics like cleanliness, security, and lots of hot water. We travel from Virginia to Montana every fall and occasionally to Kansas to go bird hunting. I will note a few places DW and I have stayed that really stood out to us as having top notch bathrooms.
1. Glacier Mist RV park in Cut Bank, MT. Full hookups in a barren dirt field. Bathrooms are individual use and lockable from the inside. Took a 20 minute hot soaking shower. Bathroom is only nice amenity but suits our activities.
2. Foxfire KOA in Huntington WV. Bathroom not lockable but the showers are nice and hot.
3. Archway RV park, Mount Vernon, Illinois. Great showers, lots of hot water, individual lockable bathrooms.
4. Eisenhower state park and Webster state park in Kansas. Individual locking bathrooms with weird but nice showers. (2 shower heads, one at waist level. Turn them both on and get a nice long hot soak.)

Hope this gives some good info to others as you travel. Note that I am not saying the other aspects of the campground are necessarily nice, just that the bathrooms were nice.

Happy camping to all.

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:42 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a few campgrounds that are "further north than us" that for climate reasons, don't have full hookups at most sites. That means either restricting water use (no way to dump conveniently) or using the campground shower facility. We stay in some of them most summers as we travel the UP and northern "Mini-soda"... We've made it a practice that I sit in a lawn chair at the entrance to the women's shower/bathroom facility while DW cleans up.

So, if it's a warm day, I find a shady spot outside the shower and if it's a chilly day, I find a sunny spot to set up my lawn chair while DW does her thing..... It's been that way for us since a moccasin was in the shower at a campground in Cameron, LA, probably 40 or 45 years ago and DW couldn't get to the door to "run like hell"....

Even in the "nicest of places" things can happen... We've NEVER had an issue, but as crazy as things are, prevention before something happens is much preferred to planning some type of reaction after something happens...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:26 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

We once camped in a Lance truck camper. Wet bath. I learned that campground bathrooms/showers were important to some folks... a lot. Missus would NOT use the wet bath in the truck top camper and used camp ground bathrooms. I am also a contributor to campgroundreviews.com and when we visit a campground, make it a habit to take pictures of the bathroom/shower when possible and include these in my write ups. Campgroundreviews.com is a great place to get a sense of an RV park's facilities.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:56 AM   #4
revrusty

I agree with using campground reviews. I have contributed to that as well.

Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
Old 01-26-2022, 07:59 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are a few campgrounds that are "further north than us" that for climate reasons, don't have full hookups at most sites. That means either restricting water use (no way to dump conveniently) or using the campground shower facility. We stay in some of them most summers as we travel the UP and northern "Mini-soda"... We've made it a practice that I sit in a lawn chair at the entrance to the women's shower/bathroom facility while DW cleans up.

So, if it's a warm day, I find a shady spot outside the shower and if it's a chilly day, I find a sunny spot to set up my lawn chair while DW does her thing..... It's been that way for us since a moccasin was in the shower at a campground in Cameron, LA, probably 40 or 45 years ago and DW couldn't get to the door to "run like hell"....

Even in the "nicest of places" things can happen... We've NEVER had an issue, but as crazy as things are, prevention before something happens is much preferred to planning some type of reaction after something happens...
I have always done the same. Having 2 daughters hieghtened my awareness to a higher level. Not only campgrounds but at rest stops on the road as well. More than once I've cracked open the ladies room door and shouted in asking if my DW was ok if it was taking longer than usual.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:10 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I have always done the same. Having 2 daughters hieghtened my awareness to a higher level. Not only campgrounds but at rest stops on the road as well. More than once I've cracked open the ladies room door and shouted in asking if my DW was ok if it was taking longer than usual.
Yep, me too... Some suggest that me (a strange man in a lawn chair) makes them uncomfortable going to the bathroom... My message to them is "Sorry, but my wife's life and safety are more important than your sense of being uneasy"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:47 AM   #7
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yep, me too... Some suggest that me (a strange man in a lawn chair) makes them uncomfortable going to the bathroom... My message to them is "Sorry, but my wife's life and safety are more important than your sense of being uneasy"....
That ^^^^ is a great answer John!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:22 PM   #8
dutchmensport

Many, many years ago when this 10ish year old boy went into the women's shower room and my wife was taking a shower, and the boy pulled back the curtains from the shower stalls and started laughing at the women taken showers, my wife stormed back to the camper and told me in no uncertain terms would she EVER use a campground bathroom/shower again, and that our camper had a shower in it and I just better accept the fact I'm going to have to dump tanks because she was NEVER going to use a campground bathroom facility again. Our camper had a shower and toilet and SHE was going to use it, and if I didn't like that I could just take a flying leap and deal with it.

Well, she held true to her word. I also followed her lead and we've never set foot inside a campground bathroom/shower facility again. So, I really have no clue about the condition of any campground bathroom/shower facilities.

However, my wife was right. We've got the dang shower and toilet in the camper. Why shouldn't we use it!
Old 01-26-2022, 02:23 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Many, many years ago when this 10ish year old boy went into the women's shower room and my wife was taking a shower, and the boy pulled back the curtains from the shower stalls and started laughing at the women taken showers, my wife stormed back to the camper and told me in no uncertain terms would she EVER use a campground bathroom/shower again, and that our camper had a shower in it and I just better accept the fact I'm going to have to dump tanks because she was NEVER going to use a campground bathroom facility again. Our camper had a shower and toilet and SHE was going to use it, and if I didn't like that I could just take a flying leap and deal with it.

Well, she held true to her word. I also followed her lead and we've never set foot inside a campground bathroom/shower facility again. So, I really have no clue about the condition of any campground bathroom/shower facilities.

However, my wife was right. We've got the dang shower and toilet in the camper. Why shouldn't we use it!
I can see using a nice bath house shower if you have a BATHTUB/SHOWER that is 2" wide and a 6 gallon hot water tank and both of you want to shower one after the other on a cold day. When we camp, I try and shower before going to bed and let the missus shower in the AM. Some folks don't have huge Montana bathrooms in their camper and long for some elbow room. And if that little bugger comes pull the curtain back when I am taking a shower he won't laugh long as he would go blind in seconds and cry all the way back to his momma! bwhahahahaha My wife really likes the bath/showers at the campground in Camp Wood... large showers that are in a single room that locks. No kids coming in. If I were to sit outside one of the showers in a lawn chair my wife would accuse me of being a perv anyway.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:55 PM   #10
revrusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I can see using a nice bath house shower if you have a BATHTUB/SHOWER that is 2" wide and a 6 gallon hot water tank and both of you want to shower one after the other on a cold day. When we camp, I try and shower before going to bed and let the missus shower in the AM. Some folks don't have huge Montana bathrooms in their camper and long for some elbow room. And if that little bugger comes pull the curtain back when I am taking a shower he won't laugh long as he would go blind in seconds and cry all the way back to his momma! bwhahahahaha My wife really likes the bath/showers at the campground in Camp Wood... large showers that are in a single room that locks. No kids coming in. If I were to sit outside one of the showers in a lawn chair my wife would accuse me of being a perv anyway.
I will add that when my wife and I have just spent an entire day out in 20 degree weather, as we did one day in Kansas this past December, we are ready for a long hot shower. We try to stay alert to our surroundings as well. That's why I emphasized the single locking door. Thanks for all the input so far.

Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
Old 01-26-2022, 02:59 PM   #11
Javi

Campgrounds have bathhouse???? Who would of thunk...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:27 PM   #12
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post

Luckily I’ve never had that happen, but I have the same outlook. If I have a camper, it WILL have a bathroom, and I WILL use it - for everything. Hubby (smart man that he is) figured this out when he first decided to broach the subject of getting a camper back in 2013 because he wanted to go trout fishing in SE MN and knew I would not come along without hard sides and a useable bathroom. Tent camping when we were in college sadly taught him that when he had to pack up the tent in the middle of a thunderstorm at night because I have a (probably irrational ) fear of thunder and want to “hide” inside someplace with hard sides. So, both the 2014 Cougar and the newer Paradigm have nice bathrooms, and they are used wherever/ whenever we camp, except when boondocking in the mtns I will use the outhouse, but still use my shower.

So, unfortunately I cannot contribute any info on campgrounds with good bathrooms. But I can say a 2014 Cougar 28RDB has a good bathroom (shower is a little small if we can get picky, but works great) and a Paradigm 340 has a great bathroom and large shower. Both with porcelain toilets, so all is great! Hehehehe!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #13
Northofu1

I have to give Kudo's to the National parks in the Maritimes. In 2018 Cavendish was installing Kohler sinks, toilets, and full ceramic renovations in their washrooms, Kouchibouguac in NB was great, Kejimkujic in NS, Fundy National all had great amenities.

Ontario Provincial parks washrooms are pretty consistent even though they only offer electric only sites and the prices were the same as FHU's at the National parks.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:31 PM   #14
BigBobIa

We are at Picacho State park campground Arizona this week. There is NO potable water available. They warn you at reservation.

So normally I shower at home. But we only have 100 gallons. Used the campground shower yesterday AND still did a navy shower!
Old 01-27-2022, 09:53 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobIa View Post
We are at Picacho State park campground Arizona this week. There is NO potable water available. They warn you at reservation.

So normally I shower at home. But we only have 100 gallons. Used the campground shower yesterday AND still did a navy shower!
Should've stayed next door at Picacho Peak Rv Resort, all the water is RO treated with FHU 50 amp sites with lots snowbird activities & clean facilities. This time of year they usually have a few overnight or a day or 2 sites available.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:04 PM   #16
locomech

We don't use the bath house showers very often since buying our camper, but back in our tent days we did. I remember staying at a few campgrounds where the showers were pay as you go. You had to take roll of quarters with you if you wanted to take a long shower . Nothing worse than being all soaped up and the water shuts off on you . Now you have to fiddle around with soapy hands to drop quarters in the money box, what a pain.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomech View Post
We don't use the bath house showers very often since buying our camper, but back in our tent days we did. I remember staying at a few campgrounds where the showers were pay as you go. You had to take roll of quarters with you if you wanted to take a long shower . Nothing worse than being all soaped up and the water shuts off on you . Now you have to fiddle around with soapy hands to drop quarters in the money box, what a pain.
I don't want to think about HOW (or where) you held that roll of quarters while showering!
Old 01-28-2022, 03:30 AM   #18
notanlines

A clearly inebriated woman, stark naked, jumped into a taxi in New York City and laid down on the back seat.

The cab driver, an old Jewish gentleman, opened his eyes wide and stared at the woman. He made no attempt to start the cab. The woman glared back at him and said, "What's wrong with you, honey? Haven't you ever seen a naked woman before?"

The old Jewish driver answered, "Let me tell you sumting, lady. I vasn't staring at you like you tink; det vould not be proper vair I come from."

I am looking and I am looking, and I am tinking to myself, 'Vair in da hell is dis lady keeping de money to pay for dis ride?"

Quarters in the shower...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:45 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
A clearly inebriated woman, stark naked, jumped into a taxi in New York City and laid down on the back seat.

The cab driver, an old Jewish gentleman, opened his eyes wide and stared at the woman. He made no attempt to start the cab. The woman glared back at him and said, "What's wrong with you, honey? Haven't you ever seen a naked woman before?"

The old Jewish driver answered, "Let me tell you sumting, lady. I vasn't staring at you like you tink; det vould not be proper vair I come from."

I am looking and I am looking, and I am tinking to myself, 'Vair in da hell is dis lady keeping de money to pay for dis ride?"

Quarters in the shower...
A NYC cab ride? Dat vould be a lots of quarters my friend!
Old 01-28-2022, 05:27 AM   #20
LHaven

Three campground bath/restrooms that particularly impressed me:

Madison Bend Campground, Cameron MT. The rest rooms are off a long corridor in the rustic furniture store next to the campground, a beautiful modern log-construction building. True art!

Dory Hill Campground, Black Hawk CO. The shower stalls are hand-welded stainless and very roomy. Lovely and practical engineering. Unfortunately, the entire rest of the CG was a disaster.

Karsten's RV Resort, College Station TX. Several single-user, lockable restrooms and shower rooms, very clean and roomy.

Tags
campground