Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2022, 08:29 AM   #1
Mike 22rbs

Gander RV service

I'll start by saying everyone knows about Camping World, and that Gander RV is Camping World. Or they should.
I had a tire blow out that trashed the side, and popped holes in the floor of my 22rbs. I tried to go anywhere but CW or GRV to get my rig fixed. Travel Camp, General RV, custom shops. Because of Covid these shops were undesirable for different reasons. General RV in Jacksonville FL treated me VERY poorly. I fixed the holes in the floor, and the copper propane lines to the fridge and heater. But the metal siding I wanted a pro to do it so it looked factory new.
So after a year and a half, I succumbed to Gander RV in St Augustine, FL. They actually did a great job and fast. I mean in days fast. I even had them reseal my roof.
Here's the catch. I am a very involved, investigative person. I did the repair walk thru with the technician and service writer. I covered ALL bases and ensured the paperwork was legit. Had a copy of the estimate.....
Cut to picking up my coach. Lol
The work was perfect. The paper work was a complete and total mess. There was two job work orders. No problem except they mixed and crossed parts labor and everything on both w/o's. Nobody, even the service writer could explain the bill and costs.
The estimate was for (using round numbers for ease) $1,100.00.
The bill totalled $1,800.00 lol
I was shocked and had the service writer and manager helping me understand where the extra $700.00 came from. Bottom line, the estimate didn't include any labor costs!
Oh out on the edge of the estimate there was, 2.5....2.0....1.5.....5. No explanation just numbers. So they quoted me parts and no lablor but never communicated that to me.
Shameful scam in my opinion. I paid the bill and left.
I'm not sure how to feel about being scammed. The work was perfect. The time frame was perfect. The overall feel of the transaction was positive. But I can't shake being taken atvantage of. GRV did the job when I couldn't get any other dealer interested.
So thats where I'm at. My camper is ready for a season of fun and camping.
But it grates on my pride to be taken advantage of. Lol
What's y'alls thoughts?
Old 01-25-2022, 08:49 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

A couple days ago, I read, somewhere but can't remember where it was: "I'll spend $997 to get even with someone who scammed me out of $3"....

All I ask of anyone is that they listen to what I want done and, if they agree to do it, great. I fully expect them to do what we agreed they would do. If they're going to change and do something else, then they're scamming/cheating/defrauding me and I don't do business with people like that...

Like what I read a few days ago, I'll spend way more to get even than you got by screwing me......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:21 AM   #3
Mike 22rbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A couple days ago, I read, somewhere but can't remember where it was: "I'll spend $997 to get even with someone who scammed me out of $3"....

All I ask of anyone is that they listen to what I want done and, if they agree to do it, great. I fully expect them to do what we agreed they would do. If they're going to change and do something else, then they're scamming/cheating/defrauding me and I don't do business with people like that...

Like what I read a few days ago, I'll spend way more to get even than you got by screwing me......
I'm like that also, but I have to let it go or it consumes me. Lol
On the one hand I'm so happy to have my camper back, to bad there's stigma attached.
I reflected my disapproval in the survey Gander sent me. We'll see if there's any responce.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #4
Bustinbeards

I feel your pain on the bait and switch surprise bill.

I had to order a new window for my TT. Dealership quotes 150$+ shipping. Which I thought was reasonable, I figured 100$ max for shipping and I did not need expedited shipping.

Part came in and Total cost ended up 415$.

So the window cost 150$ and shipping was 265$!

Needless to say I am convinced I was upcharged once they figured out I just wanted to pick up the window and not have them to Install it.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:39 AM   #5
Mike 22rbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustinbeards View Post
I feel your pain on the bait and switch surprise bill.

I had to order a new window for my TT. Dealership quotes 150$+ shipping. Which I thought was reasonable, I figured 100$ max for shipping and I did not need expedited shipping.

Part came in and Total cost ended up 415$.

So the window cost 150$ and shipping was 265$!

Needless to say I am convinced I was upcharged once they figured out I just wanted to pick up the window and not have them to Install it.
That kinda happened to me also. The metal for the siding was cheaper than the "crate $85.00" and shipping was $165.00. I as shocked to see thoes charges.

I was just reading your post. Looks like you will end up with a nice camper cheap. Great job doing the fixing up.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:16 AM   #6
travelin texans

Had to replace the single bottom door on a past 5er fridge, the door was $85 total delivered to the dealer was $379 + labor that I don't recall the price.
FYI! If ordering anything from Trekwood.com be forwarned their shipping is like these examples.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:31 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not sure where the fault lies with this. If a thorough walkthrough was done and everything was done per request and in a timely fashion we then are dealing with the quote. Did they specifically tell you that the labor was included in the price quote or was that not addressed by either party? To be thorough when requesting work the purchaser has to ask those questions and have it in writing. I have a hard time understanding how the both you and the dealer failed to address the labor charges as they should have been directly listed on the estimate. If they were and they jumped the price significantly for no reason....not ethical. If the quote in fact did not list labor charges, as it sounds like it didn't, the ball was dropped by both parties IMO.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:45 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Something doesn't sound right. I've never seen a quote for anything that didn’t list time and material and a TOTAL. Kida important for any estimate and there should be a stipulation that if the work exceeds the estimate that prior approval is required. In some states the law requires prior approval if the estimate is exceeded by a certian percentage. Finding out this information prior to authorizing work is called doing your due diligence and the responsability for that is the consumer's responsability.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:48 AM   #9
Mike 22rbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm not sure where the fault lies with this. If a thorough walkthrough was done and everything was done per request and in a timely fashion we then are dealing with the quote. Did they specifically tell you that the labor was included in the price quote or was that not addressed by either party? To be thorough when requesting work the purchaser has to ask those questions and have it in writing. I have a hard time understanding how the both you and the dealer failed to address the labor charges as they should have been directly listed on the estimate. If they were and they jumped the price significantly for no reason....not ethical. If the quote in fact did not list labor charges, as it sounds like it didn't, the ball was dropped by both parties IMO.
Hind sight is 20/20
One kinda assumes labor is included specially when my final question is out the door cost is $1100.00 and the service writer says yes.
But I'll stipulate Im at fault if thats what youre trying to say.
I didn't argue with them and just paid the bill. My lesson learned. I've NEVER in my 56 years had an estimate that didn't include labor or "all" the charges. But then the reason I posted this is to ring the alarm for people to check your estimate closely if this is a sign of the times of questionable billing. You know, Covid estimates.....
Actually here recently Ive had alot of work done by different trades, on my house, my truck etc.
Not 1 estimate has stood up. The bill has been more, way more than the estimate.

Question for you.
Would you be thorough enough to ask about crate and shipping of parts not on the estimate?
I wasn't. Lol
Old 01-25-2022, 12:49 PM   #10
jlc

It sounds as if they did not do the estimate correctly. It sounds as if they forgot to add in labor. You can only estimate freight and crate. Those charges are never known for sure until parts are actually received. Also, freight and crate charges are crazy expensive right now. They should have been able to figure out the additional cost and where it came from.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:08 PM   #11
Life-in-Him

Long, long ago in a land far away...
There was no freight & crate it was just shipping...

From these comments it seems the process of getting parts to the work site has become more comple$$$.

Next step: in transit equip storage fees charged for in route equipment use?
I must be getting old🙃🤔
Life-in-Him is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:12 PM   #12
Mike 22rbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc View Post
It sounds as if they did not do the estimate correctly. It sounds as if they forgot to add in labor. You can only estimate freight and crate. Those charges are never known for sure until parts are actually received. Also, freight and crate charges are crazy expensive right now. They should have been able to figure out the additional cost and where it came from.
I'm not opposed to crate and freight, I just didn't think of it, and it wasn't on the estimate, nor did we talk about it.
I'll go one step further and say I provided the fender skirt and they charged me freight for that. Lol
The metal I understand, but they had it on hand, in stock so they knew how much it cost.
I'm not fussing to maybe get a refund or any compensation, I'm just saying look at that estimate closely.

Yes in my opinion, the estimate was not done correctly AND I didn't ask all the right questions to get the full picture. But is that what it comes down to now? Lol

I've decided I'm not having anymore "extra" work done till we get back to normal moral times. When is that going to be? I have no idea. Haha
Old 01-25-2022, 01:19 PM   #13
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 22rbs View Post
I'm not opposed to crate and freight, I just didn't think of it, and it wasn't on the estimate, nor did we talk about it.
I'll go one step further and say I provided the fender skirt and they charged me freight for that. Lol
The metal I understand, but they had it on hand, in stock so they knew how much it cost.
I'm not fussing to maybe get a refund or any compensation, I'm just saying look at that estimate closely.

Yes in my opinion, the estimate was not done correctly AND I didn't ask all the right questions to get the full picture. But is that what it comes down to now? Lol

I've decided I'm not having anymore "extra" work done till we get back to normal moral times. When is that going to be? I have no idea. Haha
I am glad they did a good repair for you but it really should have been on them to figure out the additional charges and explain them to you. There is no excuse for them not being able to figure that out.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:25 PM   #14
Mike 22rbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc View Post
I am glad they did a good repair for you but it really should have been on them to figure out the additional charges and explain them to you. There is no excuse for them not being able to figure that out.
That's my thoughts also. Seems the game is constantly changing and I don't know what to expect until I'm holding the bag. Lol
Old 01-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

As far as I'm concerned a supplier not knowing how much it cost to prep and ship an item is unacceptable. Is this the first time this item has ever been shipped? Is this a new, never before made or shipped item? Sounds like BS to me. If you can't get a reasonably accurate estimate before authorizing work then you are basically giving them a blank check for them to fill in the amount.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:19 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
As far as I'm concerned a supplier not knowing how much it cost to prep and ship an item is unacceptable. Is this the first time this item has ever been shipped? Is this a new, never before made or shipped item? Sounds like BS to me. If you can't get a reasonably accurate estimate before authorizing work then you are basically giving them a blank check for them to fill in the amount.
I got a little surprise today when I mailed a set of carburetors to a customer in Australia. Turns out the USPS has suspended Priority Air International service to Australia; it was either at the behest of the AU brain trust our our Post Office. Not sure. Was forced to ship Priority Express International and it cost an addition $70 or so. They blame it on the China virus. Had to put a note on my website as AU isn't the only affected country with suspended service or disruptions. I recently mailed a set of carburetors to a customer in France and the USPS sent it to New Zealand and the NZ Post Office lost it. Have to file a claim. Covid is the reason I am old, poor and ugly I guess.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:52 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 22rbs View Post
Hind sight is 20/20
One kinda assumes labor is included specially when my final question is out the door cost is $1100.00 and the service writer says yes.
But I'll stipulate Im at fault if thats what youre trying to say.
I didn't argue with them and just paid the bill. My lesson learned. I've NEVER in my 56 years had an estimate that didn't include labor or "all" the charges. But then the reason I posted this is to ring the alarm for people to check your estimate closely if this is a sign of the times of questionable billing. You know, Covid estimates.....
Actually here recently Ive had alot of work done by different trades, on my house, my truck etc.
Not 1 estimate has stood up. The bill has been more, way more than the estimate.

Question for you.
Would you be thorough enough to ask about crate and shipping of parts not on the estimate?
I wasn't. Lol

I wasn't trying to assign blame, I was simply pointing out that by your posts it seemed that all blame wasn't squarely in the dealer's lap. But as you said, that is hindsight.

I think that the hysteria we've ginned up over covid is having an effect on everyone/everything at all levels. The companies don't really know what to expect whether it's material or shipping costs. The consumer is then stuck with the failures on all levels. I learned long ago to ask every question, dot every I or T etc. or I would be sitting in front of a panel, arbitrator or judge. Even these days I don't think of them all and "stuff" happens. Heck if you ask about purchasing some material of some kind you're probably going to be told they won't know the price until they receive it (I've been told that).

As far as "estimates" vs actual costs...I don't recall, ever, having an estimate come in low. I figure they want to make whatever it is sound as appealing as possible and factor that in. Not long ago had a dedicated 50A ped set at my home; estimate was 1600 and I tried to cover all the bases. Actual was 18xx. Explanation? The ground was too hard for digging the trench for the conduit and ped for 50A plug. Warranted? I don't think so.....the ground was so soft you can sink a sharpshooter. I didn't complain.....might want him back for something one day.

As far as shipping; ordered some "stuff" from a business in TX. Ordered the items (talked to the owner) and he advised I would receive the items in about 3 business days (sent 3 day priority mail). 18 days later USPS finally let the package find its way to our mailbox. Sign of the times I guess.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:20 PM   #18
LnS

Just my thought, you asked for it.
I think you should stop at "The overall feel of the transaction was positive." all the other stuff is keeping you from enjoying what you paid for. Using your own words, " The work was perfect. The time frame was perfect. GRV did the job when I couldn't get any other dealer interested. My camper is ready for a season of fun and camping."
There will be many other times you will feel frustrated with no upside to be had, besides what else is your money for but to make you happy.
LnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:03 AM   #19
Hballer21

Gander RV Service

Unfortunately, I learned MY LESSON at Explore USA in Lewisville, Texas. Same deal. Promise something. This is the total price. When it’s done, Oh, well that was parts only. We didn’t know how long it would take to fix it. We put that in at the end.

I think the motor vehicle repair laws have an issue with this. However, you’d be tying up your rig for however long until this was resolved.

Zip ahead. The moron in the motor home next to my trailer, cannot back up. WITH HIS WIFE GUIDING HIM, he crushes our skirting, much like yours. I take it to CW. They’re pretty much the only boys around within an hour of Waynesville, NC.

Bottom line: We can fix it. It’s gonna take 2-3 months. Oh, and it’s going to cost “about $3000-$3500”. WTF? “About”?

I went to a local body shop. Please fix this. Ok. It’ll be the part, plus $500 labor. Ok. So he calls Keystone for the part. Sorry, only authorized retailers can order parts from us. Guess who is the ONLY one around? Camping World. Bottom line, We paid their price for the part ($1000). The body shop had it done in less than a week.

Shop local.
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:16 AM   #20
CaptnJohn

The worst part of a long piece of aluminum being shipped is having the crate built. CW in Myrtle Beach gave me the option of fast shipping but paying for a heavy wooden crate built to ship in or wait until a unit was being shipped to them they could fit it inside. I waited.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote