Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2021, 02:55 AM   #1
RickV

Traveling through New Hampshire

We started planning our spring/summer northern migration. We will be going from Florida to Ohio then east into Upstate NY. Our final destination will be northeast Maine. Google maps has us going east towards Massachusetts then north up the coast, we would like to instead travel into New Hampshire if for no other reason then to check it out. Looking for recommendations on what there is to see/do there and some nice campgrounds. Also how are the highways and travel through there in general?

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:27 AM   #2
billsr

We usually take I90 through New York to RT 7 North through Vermont and then go over to New Hampshire, and from there to the Maine Coast. Lots of scenery, especially in the Fall when the leaves turn. Roads for the most part are good. We always have a good time.
If you have the time, take the Cog Railway trip. Last time we were up in New Hampshire, we decided to take the trip on the railway, but it snowed and was icy, so they closed it. We plan on going next year and trying again.
https://www.thecog.com/
Old 12-25-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsr View Post
We usually take I90 through New York to RT 7 North through Vermont and then go over to New Hampshire, and from there to the Maine Coast. Lots of scenery, especially in the Fall when the leaves turn. Roads for the most part are good. We always have a good time.
If you have the time, take the Cog Railway trip. Last time we were up in New Hampshire, we decided to take the trip on the railway, but it snowed and was icy, so they closed it. We plan on going next year and trying again.
https://www.thecog.com/
Thanks for the info. Any favorite campgrounds? I need a place that I can park my 42' 5er at for about a week.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 12-26-2021, 03:20 AM   #4
notanlines

Might we recommend the city of Lancaster, NH right on US 2 and this campground: https://mtnlakecampingresort.com/
Mom and Pop restaurants abound, Mount Washington is a short, beautiful drive away, a summer wonderland.
If you're looking for a resort area similar to, let's say Wisconsin Dells then this area is not for you. The White Mountains area is one of the most beautiful in the country, but you have to make your own fun.
Try Grandma's Kitchen a few miles south on US 3.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:32 AM   #5
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Might we recommend the city of Lancaster, NH right on US 2 and this campground: https://mtnlakecampingresort.com/
Mom and Pop restaurants abound, Mount Washington is a short, beautiful drive away, a summer wonderland.
If you're looking for a resort area similar to, let's say Wisconsin Dells then this area is not for you. The White Mountains area is one of the most beautiful in the country, but you have to make your own fun.
Try Grandma's Kitchen a few miles south on US 3.
I went to the website and put in my dates, said nothing available. I tried other dates and a smaller 5er just to see if their online booking thing was working. Still nothing available I will try and call em tomorrow. I know you have a longer setup then mine by a few feet how is towing through that area verses some of the mountains and passes out west?

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 12-26-2021, 06:03 AM   #6
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I went to the website and put in my dates, said nothing available. I tried other dates and a smaller 5er just to see if their online booking thing was working. Still nothing available I will try and call em tomorrow. I know you have a longer setup then mine by a few feet how is towing through that area verses some of the mountains and passes out west?
I did the same and got no results. Please post back if you talk to them.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:37 AM   #7
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I did the same and got no results. Please post back if you talk to them.
Will do I figure I'll wait until tomorrow since it's Sunday. Here's another place that while not a "Resort" looks like it might work http://www.tmmcrv.com/rvparkrates.html

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 12-26-2021, 08:02 AM   #8
Scttw

Watch out for hunters up there

I think there is something like 93 state parks in NH.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:33 AM   #9
LHaven

Last trip we made to NE, we went through upstate NY and then east through VT, just to avoid NYC and MA completely (highly recommended for the legally-armed traveler). The E-W roads through VT were slow country roads and tedious to drive. but pretty to look at. We spent three quite happy weeks at Woodmore Campground (LINK) right next to the MA border.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #10
gearhead

Quote:
Will do I figure I'll wait until tomorrow since it's Sunday. Here's another place that while not a "Resort" looks like it might work http://www.tmmcrv.com/rvparkrates.html
Looks good, but they only have 30 amp. May not need 50 though.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #11
notanlines

New Hampshire's mountains, albeit beautiful, are relatively small with very few exceptions. Roads are fairly well maintained and travel was not a problem.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 03:08 AM   #12
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
Watch out for hunters up there

I think there is something like 93 state parks in NH.
I saw that there are a lot but, trying to find one with at least electricity is hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Last trip we made to NE, we went through upstate NY and then east through VT, just to avoid NYC and MA completely (highly recommended for the legally-armed traveler). The E-W roads through VT were slow country roads and tedious to drive. but pretty to look at. We spent three quite happy weeks at Woodmore Campground (LINK) right next to the MA border.
That's part of the reason for my route I always try to avoid the "Woke" areas. I will ccheck out Woodmore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Looks good, but they only have 30 amp. May not need 50 though.
That's my thinking It looks like the days at least in early-mid June are in the upper 70's could probably get by running just one AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
New Hampshire's mountains, albeit beautiful, are relatively small with very few exceptions. Roads are fairly well maintained and travel was not a problem.
Appreciate the input. You never know what to expect when traveling to a new area. I hate small rolling curvy hills.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 12-29-2021, 12:16 PM   #13
heat kits

Stay out of the State Parks in NH

Take some advice from a native Vermonter and a resident of NH for 65 years. Our state parks were designed back in the 50s/60s when the biggest camper 20' and towed with the family station wagon and used a 15-amp cord. These parks book up early by people who know how "scam" the system and squat there all summer (we have a two-week limit). Not only are the sites short and narrow, but primitive to today's standards. Sadly, most folks' think the only dangers are on ground and never see the low unkept tree limbs.

Privet CG on the other hand have to make a living catering to today's campers. Thats where you'll find the best sites and people who care about your happiness and needs.

Also, there are no "COE" or "open land" and the Federal campground are just as bad as the state campgrounds.

Every year, I spend weeks camping, make that RVing in New England and upper NY. The campgrounds that I go to are for what there is to do and see nearby and not what's at the CG.
heat kits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:24 AM   #14
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat kits View Post
Take some advice from a native Vermonter and a resident of NH for 65 years. Our state parks were designed back in the 50s/60s when the biggest camper 20' and towed with the family station wagon and used a 15-amp cord. These parks book up early by people who know how "scam" the system and squat there all summer (we have a two-week limit). Not only are the sites short and narrow, but primitive to today's standards. Sadly, most folks' think the only dangers are on ground and never see the low unkept tree limbs.

Privet CG on the other hand have to make a living catering to today's campers. Thats where you'll find the best sites and people who care about your happiness and needs.

Also, there are no "COE" or "open land" and the Federal campground are just as bad as the state campgrounds.

Every year, I spend weeks camping, make that RVing in New England and upper NY. The campgrounds that I go to are for what there is to do and see nearby and not what's at the CG.
Thanks for the info and from my searches you are almost 100 correct about the State/Fed CGs, down here in Florida and in Georiga many State/Fed CGs have some sites big enough for just about anything and at least electricity and water and dump station.
I agree about finding campgrounds that have what I need to camp with my equipment. I don't need any frills like a pool or that kinda crap, I am looking for location, location, location. We don't head out on the road to sit around a campground.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 12-30-2021, 08:54 AM   #15
Schbobby

If you are in northern New York and crossing VT route 302 is very scenic passing through the capital of VT and into the northern side of the White mountains. I would recommend Twin Mt KOA in Carrol NH. I have been going to this camp ground for the last 20 years and staying a week to explore and experience the beautiful White Mountains. Hope to go 20 years more. Sites for every size rig too!
Schbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:59 AM   #16
goodellj

I think you are on the right track to look at RV ratings. RV park Reviews is my favorite. I stay at a lot of KOA's, mostly because the product is somewhat consistent and the reservation system is quick. Campgrounds in New England are a lot different than those in the temperate regions.

Pumpkin Patch RV Resort is my favorite CG in the Northeastern US, and is not to be missed. It is near Bangor ME.

As to the roads, I would consult the Motor Carriers Road Atlas and stick to the truck routes.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:24 AM   #17
mwalter

Lake Forest RV Resort

We love staying at www.lakeforestrvresort.com

Located in the village of East Wakefield just south of Wolfboro in the lakes region of NH. It's on the Great East lake, Maine border and about 30 minutes west of Portland.
Big rig friendly with spacious sites in a hardwood forest and even has a 9 hole Cayman golf course. We're going back because everyone is super friendly and welcoming.
mwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:09 PM   #18
Jorick

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Any favorite campgrounds? I need a place that I can park my 42' 5er at for about a week.
Be advised that New Hampshire requires a special license to tow RV trailers 40 feet and over (and I think is the only state in the US to require this). If you get caught without it, not only will you get a ticket with a hefty fine, but they will call a tow truck and tow your rig out of state. That could end up costing you many thousands of dollars.

I used to live in New Hampshire, and bought my 5th wheel when I was there. I chose a 39'8" Keystone Cougar 368MBI to stay under the limit.

That being said, a trip up I-93 and the Kangamagus highway in the White Mountains is a must, especially in the fall!
Jorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorick View Post
Be advised that New Hampshire requires a special license to tow RV trailers 40 feet and over (and I think is the only state in the US to require this). If you get caught without it, not only will you get a ticket with a hefty fine, but they will call a tow truck and tow your rig out of state. That could end up costing you many thousands of dollars.

I used to live in New Hampshire, and bought my 5th wheel when I was there. I chose a 39'8" Keystone Cougar 368MBI to stay under the limit.

That being said, a trip up I-93 and the Kangamagus highway in the White Mountains is a must, especially in the fall!
As long as your driver's license is legal in your home state nothing else should be required to visit other states.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:26 PM   #20
NH_Bulldog

There is NO special license requirement in NH for any towable or drivable RV regardless of length as long as you are under 26,000 lbs. The only restrictions we have (and licenses have nothing to do with it) are no motor-coaches over 45 ft, no towable trailer over 48 ft and no triple towing.

Oddly enough we have only ever camped in our home state twice, and choose to travel all over the country, so I can’t suggest any places to stay here. But it is worthwhile to spend some time in the White Mountains; drive through Crawford Notch, Franconia Notch and a trip to the top of Mount Washington either by the Cog Railway or the Toll Road. Mount Washington once recorded the highest wind speed on earth at 231 mph, which stood as a world record until a tropical storm in Australia in 1996.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote