Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Don’t like their rules? Don’t plan on going. They’re doing what they feel is the best course to protect their citizens. I work with enough Canadiens to know they don’t give a flying F what you think about their policies, government or traditions. They’re good folks, and they’ll take care of their best interest, as they should.

Please refer to my post #12. The original question was about how long covid would keep the Canadian border closed as the OP had a vacation planned next year. Keep the discussion relevant to that question vs commentary on politics or how either country chooses to enforce their covid protocols. Further remarks unrelated to the OPs question will result in the thread being closed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:04 AM   #22
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by curthens4 View Post
I am going to agree. But the new strain I hear is no worse than a sniffle like a cold. Government scare tactics.
Just wanted Mr. Trump out and Sleepy Joe to ruin our country.
Not the forum for politics.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:06 AM   #23
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by curthens4 View Post
Wondering how long this Covid issue will keep the Canadian border closed so we can't drive to Alaska???
Was planning a trip for June once we retire, but doesn't look good.
Canada during the border closure allowed transit through Canada-BC and AB-to Alaska. But there were restrictions on transit time and allowable stops.
Should the border close again there may be the allowances for transit to Alaska and back to the lower 48.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #24
CaptnJohn

We found the theater in Toronto much better than NYC and went often, used to go there to hunt too. All that stopped when Canada began various restrictions in the late 80s and earlky 90s. If going back to Alaska we will fly. A lot of Canadians in FL where we winter, those from Ontario and all provinces are always good, but not all from Quebec. Their country their rules but I don't miss going there.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:32 AM   #25
Hodgy

This group up here couldn't plan a drunk in a brewery. They just changed restrictions again including the border between the US and Canada. Plan on not planning to come North. Even if you hit a "clear window", they change their minds like I change socks.

From the foothills of Alberta.
2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #26
Madmax07

Obviously, the original poster has asked a question that is hard to answer, as the answer involves speculation. Hopefully the border will be open both ways, as it is now. My daughter and son in law live in the U.S. and come to Canada to visit us occassionally. They have no problems here whatsoever.

When you look at the rules and restrictions, they seem overwhelming and over the top. I think the thing to remember is, whether traveling to the U.S. or Canada, governments want visitors to be respectful of the rules and with people from that country in terms of how you interact and go about your business.
I can guarantee there won't be any Covid police watching what you're doing, unless what you're doing is drawing attention.

As Canadians, we welcome visitors from our southern neighbors!
Madmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:04 AM   #27
curthens4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax07 View Post
Obviously, the original poster has asked a question that is hard to answer, as the answer involves speculation. Hopefully the border will be open both ways, as it is now. My daughter and son in law live in the U.S. and come to Canada to visit us occassionally. They have no problems here whatsoever.

When you look at the rules and restrictions, they seem overwhelming and over the top. I think the thing to remember is, whether traveling to the U.S. or Canada, governments want visitors to be respectful of the rules and with people from that country in terms of how you interact and go about your business.
I can guarantee there won't be any Covid police watching what you're doing, unless what you're doing is drawing attention.

As Canadians, we welcome visitors from our southern neighbors!
Thank you Madmax07.
We are hoping everything works out for the best. Have been looking forward to this trip for many years.
God bless.
curthens4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #28
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
.... they change their minds like I change socks.
From the foothills of Alberta.
Oh dear! You are supposed to change your socks?
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #29
Jerry S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Well with that attitude we don't really want you up here.
Thank you very much!
And with that attitude I would not go there anytime for any reason. eh
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #30
jim1

We probably won't miss you then, eh!
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:20 AM   #31
TN Traveler

You can take your RV to Alaska without going through Canada - take the ferry!
It is expensive, but very doable and enjoyable.
B&W Companion

TN Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #32
KeystoneKal

Did anybody say you need a passport?
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:53 PM   #33
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Vaccination requirements are established by the "host country" not by the views or beliefs of the traveller. In other words, if you're visiting my house and I ask you not to come through the front door with muddy shoes, don't expect a warm welcome if you track up DW's floor ........

It's been that way, at least since I went to Viet Nam in 1967 and every country that I traveled to during my military career. I remember when our daughter was born in 1971 and we were in Turkey, we couldn't leave the country until DW had her smallpox booster and a "current typhoid shot". Turkey would not clear us to board a Pan Am flight in Istanbul and the USA would not allow us to process customs without those vaccinations. To complicate the issues, DW could not get those shots while she was pregnant, so she couldn't get them until after our daughter was born. Then, we had to wait 6 weeks after the vaccinations before we were cleared to travel home.

So, nothing's new with a soverign country requiring protection for their citizens from people who travel into their space. It's the same for as long as I can remember and it's been that way since DW has been cleaning our house. Enter with muddy shoes at your own peril....

Choose not to get vaccinated, don't expect "sympathy from a soverign country" and it's nothing new.... Turkey and the USA did it in 1971, long before any Covid 19 was ever dreamed to exist.....
You sure have a way with words. My husband and his brother inherited a cabin in Canada from their stepdad. My BIL and his wife "caved" in and got their shots so they could spent a month up there this summer after not being able to go at all in 2020. It's your choice but you have to play by their rules in their playground.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #34
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneKal View Post
Did anybody say you need a passport?
Used to be an enhanced drivers license was enough unless you traveled by air. That might have changed a few years back because my husband got a passport for his last fishing trip up there.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #35
CBRV

turned away at the border

2 weeks ago a friend tried to visit Canada (at the NY border). He had all his vaccinations, which were the requirements posted online the day before, but when he got to the border, a new level had been added THAT day - he needed a negative covid test showing no virus. After driving 10 hours to get there, he was turned away.
CBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #36
Tom Hudson

Smile Travelling to Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The discussion of the ability to enter Canada and/or any requirements to do so is a discussion pertinent to RV travelers. Comments about personal views on the political situations in any area are......political and therefore prohibited. There are strong, differing feelings among many folks about lots of things. Inflammatory comments only serve to ignite flames. This is an RV forum so let's keep things on track.
Well said, thank you. I was thinking the same. Enough about the personal feeling s about the governments and their policies. This is supposed to be a forum for helping RVers
Tom Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #37
LERD

Out of curiosity I went to this site to see about driving through to Alaska. The Canadian government will NOT let you through if your unvaccinated unless you live in Alaska or work there. I.E. absolutely no non-essential travel through Canada. If it is essential, there's lots of rules to follow, including a less than 72 hour negative Covid test. There's also tons of requirements to be met if you are vaccinated. It's probably best to click on their links to see if your version of fully vaccinated equates with theirs. It really doesn't matter what we think, right, wrong or indifferent. It's their rules, I would expect them to follow our rules.
However, unfortunately for me, I will end up losing out on many wonderful campgrounds at least for the foreseeable future.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/border#transit-alaska-us
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:08 AM   #38
curthens4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Traveler View Post
You can take your RV to Alaska without going through Canada - take the ferry!

It is expensive, but very doable and enjoyable.
I have been looking into that. As you said, it isn't cheap, but sure sounds fun.
Have you done it that way?
curthens4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:26 AM   #39
ExtremeRVing

It is interesting how most of the replies are somewhat correct, but leave out large details.

Rather than relying on 2nd hand information, I would suggest going directly to the source. Here is the link going over ALL the current rules for traveling to/from Alaska via Canada

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ictions/border

As you can see there are a LOT of details.
ExtremeRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:33 AM   #40
notanlines

When perusing the posts on the forum it pays to read what comes BEFORE your comment you're about to make.
Extreme, your information, however correct, is a day late. Lerd already posted this a day ago.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote