Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2021, 11:04 AM   #1
That Guy Lindsey

Hipcamp

Do we have any users of the Hipcamp program? we just signed up for it with our property and for the first guest that stayed this week, it was SUPER EASY. like AirBNB but for camping. We have a small rural property in TN with some campsites that we have historically only used for friends and our own escape.

we are going to consider using it for our own travels in our Hideout. just curious about other's experiences and suggestions.
That Guy Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Just curious; never heard of Hipcamp but if you rent property, you assume a degree of liability. Is there an insurance that will insure you against this liability? Property, personal injury, etc.?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
That Guy Lindsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just curious; never heard of Hipcamp but if you rent property, you assume a degree of liability. Is there an insurance that will insure you against this liability? Property, personal injury, etc.?
Hipcamp provides and umbrella liability insurance as part of their program. its the only way I would have done it.
That Guy Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

I looked at the Hipcamp website and it is an interesting concept. I know quite a few places will now rent your RV but I find the thought of a stranger using my RV unappealing. I have a full hook (30A only but could upgrade to 50A on the same pole) up slot but keep my 5th wheel parked there when we are not camping but only hook up electricity. I would have to set up another slot for my camper which is a bit of a chore as live on acreage on the side of a rocky hill but it could be done. By the way, take a sec and put together a signature; find it under UserCP at the top of every page on upper left.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy Lindsey View Post
Hipcamp provides and umbrella liability insurance as part of their program. its the only way I would have done it.
This is just an observation. IT IS NOT AN ACCUSIATION.

I've worked at hospitals that provided "blanket liability insurance" for all care providers, from nurses to physicians.

A BLANKET INSURANCE POLICY CAN BE A DOUBLE EDGED SWORD.

With many of "those types of policies" the interests of the entity paying the premiums is the top priority and "blanket coverage comes second". I've seen situations in hospitals where, when something happens and the policy needs to be used, if "throwing the blanket coverage person under the bus" is in the best interest of the "larger group", well, you may not have the "undying support of the insurance company or of the corporate policy".....

I've got NO experience with Hipcamp, and this is not intended as advice for or against their "blanket liability policy"... Rather it's a personal observation of things I've seen with "blanket insurance coverage" when some employee gets sued and the employer doesn't want to get dragged into the legal proceedings.... More than once, the insurance company has settled out of court rather than risk more monetary losses by fighting it in court. What that approach does to the person being sued is set up a potential for future claims because there was no "legal decision of liability" rather "just an out of court settlement" which doesn't prevent future claims.

So, even though there's a "blanket liability coverage" you might want to talk to your own insurance agent and see what is/is not covered in that situation and whether your own "gap rider" will/won't cover anything exceeding a settlement from that policy.

It can get sticky and you could easily wind up a victim of a national "big bucks company" that's more interested in protecting their own pockets than in making sure your pockets are equally protected.....

Again, I've got no experience with this company, it's insurance or how it functions, just making an observation based on similar situations in healthcare "blanket liability".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

As with any contract exercise "due dilligance" and consult with a professional, i.e. attorney, insurance professional etc. I would recommend folks with extensive knowledge where you are located.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote