Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2021, 01:43 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

Oregon Tourist Tax

Go left coast! Another innovation from the left (coast).

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...vs/8369223002/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #2
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Go left coast! Another innovation from the left (coast).

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...vs/8369223002/

Maybe we should have a Sales Tax instead?
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:36 PM   #3
Carl n Susan

Have you been to Montana, Washington, or Idaho?
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #4
dutchmensport

" Oregon imposed a similar surcharge on out-of-state campers who reserved any type of campsite with the idea of discouraging travel to the state. "

They asked for it, they got it. I guess I'm just not welcome there. I'm not going anywhere I'm not welcome.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
Getn off

Sure making it feel welcome for us out of towners. Makes me not want to visit…and I was born and raised there.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:14 PM   #6
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Sure making it feel welcome for us out of towners. Makes me not want to visit…and I was born and raised there.
Troy

One reason for taxing out-of-state RVs is because Oregonians already pay an extra licensing fee to register recreational vehicles with the DMV. The annual cost ranges from $86 for a small trailer to $388 for a mammoth 45-foot motorhome. About half of that money goes to state parks.

I pay this and have never in my 20years of RV life have stayed in an Oregon State Campground.

Trust me, you don't want to be here... they are taxing the living hell out of us. Gotta keep Portland going I guess.... screw the other 90% of the state.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #7
notanlines

"having one of the highest tax rates on personal income in the nation. Oregon counties and cities have the right to impose a sales tax at the local level."
Even in Tennessee, land of no income tax, we still live with 9 1/2 % on everything under the sun. Yes, the sales tax on a $150K RV is $14,250. We are supposed to be appeased because our yearly tags are $35.00.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:43 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

The kind of thinking that drives these types of decisions defies logic. Oh well, I won't be going there. It's already out in the Passport America bulletin which just hit my email - maybe they'll get what they apparently want, zero out of staters.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:49 PM   #9
jasin1

Apparently Oregon has a a ton of places to camp…especially in Portland…my son was out there for work and said there was a bunch of tents in the median strip between the road..seems it’s a camper friendly town
Old 09-29-2021, 03:57 PM   #10
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"having one of the highest tax rates on personal income in the nation. Oregon counties and cities have the right to impose a sales tax at the local level.".

Some places do have hidden tourist taxes to this effect, I lived in Ashland for 16 years and within the city they have a "Prepared Food Tax" which I believe is around 6-7% Targeting out of town diners...
Old 09-29-2021, 03:58 PM   #11
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Apparently Oregon has a a ton of places to camp…especially in Portland…my son was out there for work and said there was a bunch of tents in the median strip between the road..seems it’s a camper friendly town

This is by far the funniest thing I've read on this forum. Its funny because its so true... and very sad.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:52 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Every state that I've visited has "extra fees" for out of state visitors... Just go buy a hunting or fishing license. Most states have "additional fees for places where visitors spend money". Look at your last motel/hotel bill at the "tax/surcharge entries". Some states have been charging out of state visitors an additional charge for quite some time. Michigan has been imposing a "surcharge on non-resident state park campground fees" for the past 8 or 10 years (that I know of, or possibly even longer). There is a thread on this forum that's 3 or 4 years old, complaining specifically about the extra "non-resident fees" imposed in Michigan state parks.

When state parks are funded by tax dollars, it makes sense that the residents who pay the majority of those taxes should benefit from what they already pay and visitors who haven't paid their "share of the tax burden" should be required to help fund what they use while in the state.

I've got no "beef" with Oregon imposing an additional fee on "non-resident campers". They have been imposing a fee on "non-resident hunters and fishermen" since they started requiring a hunting/fishing license.... I left a HUGE chuck of change the last time I fished for sturgeon on the Columbia River. A HUGE, HUGE chunk of change !!!!! And, yes, Washington state got a big chunk of change too.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:25 PM   #13
BandT

I have no issue with paying for service received anywhere. However being a long term Washington state resident and seeing my taxes going up every year and seeing damn little to show for I will oppose any new tax until someone decides to show where all the money goes. I seriously doubt that will happen.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:42 PM   #14
Summergirl

This not really new for there to be a sur charge on a camp grounds for out of state. It just now has hit the state campgrounds. Back in the late 70’s we went to California and were going to stay in a private campground in Oregon. The first thing they asked was were we out of state. We said no we are from Canada and in your state. Being young and naive we didn’t know. They wanted to charge us an extra 5.00 a night because we didn’t live in Oregon. Let’s just say we didn’t stay and they had to fix the grass. Not one of our proudest moments but never had that happen before.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:14 PM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Every state that I've visited has "extra fees" for out of state visitors... Just go buy a hunting or fishing license. Most states have "additional fees for places where visitors spend money". Look at your last motel/hotel bill at the "tax/surcharge entries". Some states have been charging out of state visitors an additional charge for quite some time. Michigan has been imposing a "surcharge on non-resident state park campground fees" for the past 8 or 10 years (that I know of, or possibly even longer). There is a thread on this forum that's 3 or 4 years old, complaining specifically about the extra "non-resident fees" imposed in Michigan state parks.

When state parks are funded by tax dollars, it makes sense that the residents who pay the majority of those taxes should benefit from what they already pay and visitors who haven't paid their "share of the tax burden" should be required to help fund what they use while in the state.

I've got no "beef" with Oregon imposing an additional fee on "non-resident campers". They have been imposing a fee on "non-resident hunters and fishermen" since they started requiring a hunting/fishing license.... I left a HUGE chuck of change the last time I fished for sturgeon on the Columbia River. A HUGE, HUGE chunk of change !!!!! And, yes, Washington state got a big chunk of change too.....
John, thanks for a great response mostly spot on, just a little off on park funding. Oregon State Parks don’t rely on taxes for funding. They have three main sources of funding, user fees, a share of lottery income, and a large percentage of Oregon RV registration fees. Essvar mentioned the Oregon RV registration fees as a range of $38 to $338, he was incorrect in that is paid every TWO year not every year. Our 32’ 5er runs $229.50 not terrible.
Covid hit OPRD hard, no user fees for three months, little lottery dollars, and a registration moratorium, both autos and RVs.
While this should raise income, it also levels the cost funding between residents and nonresidents.
It isn’t like Oregon is the first state to charge extra for out of state campers, many others do also.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:17 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Any facility has to have a fee structure that supports itself, spread evenly across all users in state or out of state.. Because a particular state does not do that is really on them. To say that "Oregonians already paid a fee to register their RV" and they have paid their fair share while out of staters haven't and need to pay is just silly. RV owners in other states pay their fees that pay for their state parks. They are set, and managed, to fit within those confines. Those from out of state, in those locations, visit them without exclusive "out of state" upcharges.

Cities/states have hotel/motel lodging taxes which even extend to RV campsites - everyone pays. States have gas taxes, income taxes and taxes on everything else that tax usage evenly - everyone pays. Deciding to penalize "out of staters" coming to your state to spend money? Sounds a lot like NM when they overreacted to the pandemic and demonized/prohibited "out of staters" - they paid that price and will continue to do so. I'll just stay where people are treated normally....no matter where they come from. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:27 PM   #17
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
Some places do have hidden tourist taxes to this effect, I lived in Ashland for 16 years and within the city they have a "Prepared Food Tax" which I believe is around 6-7% Targeting out of town diners...
In Arizona, it's the rental car tax. If you rent a car within some distance of the airport, the tax is absurd. Savvy air travelers take an Uber out to the suburbs, rent from an office there, and save a ton.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:29 PM   #18
LHaven

Quote:
This is by far the funniest thing I've read on this forum. Its funny because its so true... and very sad.
But in those campgrounds, it's not your dog you have to pick up after.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:59 AM   #19
notanlines

When we stayed at a state park in Louisiana the attendant told us if we were from Maryland we would get a 50% discount, same as local residents. What possible connection could Maryland have with Louisiana other than blue crabs and oysters?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:26 AM   #20
jasin1

Quote:
Oregon is a beautiful state from what I can see from books and pictures..I’ve never been there but hope to make it to the west coast at least once to check it out. I’m not so much into big cities anymore…used to love going into Baltimore, we have some really nice areas, FellsPoint,Federal Hill,Canton that were pretty safe and problem free….I used to work all over Baltimore also…..things change though and it’s not the same city it was even 5 years ago…that’s one of the reasons we decided to get into RV’s….hopefully the pendulum will swing back somewhere towards the middle and life all over this great country will be back to something that resembles normal for most Americans.