Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #1
CChambers

NC Newbie

Hi all.

Native North Carolinian here.

My wife and I recently decided to purchase a RV after a few years of thinking about it. We decided on a Cougar 1/2 ton FW 32BHS. We pick it up first of the week and couldn't be more excited. Our 3 year old daughter is the most excited. I have years of hauling gooseneck and bumper pull horse trailers and all types of equipment trailers so I have no huge concerns with the driving and towing aspect. Most of my skills to learn, I believe, will be camp setup and breakdown. I can guarantee I will ask stupid questions, maybe multiple times.

Look forwarding to meeting everyone.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new trailer! Lots of great folks here with knowledge and willing to help so ask away. An RV has its own sets of "things" that nothing else does and it is a learning curve; there is no such thing as a stupid question and if one of us can help it certainly beats learning it the "hard way". With a 3 year old daughter seems to me you picked a great time to get into RV camping. I did when my kids were young and they still talk about it - they are 48 and 53. Wishing you great times.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:04 PM   #3
Gary R.

Greetings and welcome to you and your family!

Congrats on the purchase of your new RV. As Danny said, there are many members who have great knowledge and are happy to share.

Have fun out there!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
revrusty

Welcome and congratulations. Not that far away. Great camping areas all around. Lots of good help on this forum.

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:11 PM   #5
Roper46

Welcome from south Georgia. Congrats on the purchase and safe travels to you and yours.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
CChambers

Thanks guys. Any tips or tricks you guys recommend right out of the gate?
Old 09-03-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
Texas Steve

Spend a night or two in the driveway using your trailer like your away from home. Try everything out so when you go for your first trip your familiar with how things work.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChambers View Post
Thanks guys. Any tips or tricks you guys recommend right out of the gate?
Welcome and SURE do have tips:

1. Don't ask about tires (if you have been here more than a week you will figure this one out)

2. Get EMS (Electrical Managment System). This is NOT a surge protector. Lots of good ones and lots of opinions; mostly the one someone has will be the best!

3. Get TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system). A flat or blow out causes MUCHO damage on a camper.

4. Research RV toilet paper and try to explain why such an abomination is critical to the welfare of your family. If you have a kiddo, potty habits will need some education as RV toilets dump into a shallow tank and lots of toilet paper, coloring books, dolls, etc., don't go through the system.

5. TEST EVERYTHING before camping the first time and be aware that if you have purchased something you might need, you won't need it and if you need something you won't have it. Storage fills fast!

6. Check bed for comfort and head to your local bedding store and get a decent mattress or topper.

7. We use a ZERO water pitcher so clean out campground stuff.

8. Get a premium pressure regulator for city water. The cheapo units won't get er done.

9. Let the missus pick out everything decor related and tell her its purdy.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:53 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

As far as quick tips George hit most of them for right out of the gate. One thing he touched on bears some reinforcement since you are new to trailers; water. Water can be an issue in many ways with an RV but primarily due to a limited supply (dry camping without water hookups) and usage (due to limited storage tanks).

Limited supply won't be an issue if using improved campgrounds with water hookups. Sometimes that presents problems because even though you would have unlimited water you do not have unlimited storage capacity. Hot water is another issue. It appears you will have a 6 gal. tank; 6 gallons does not go far if not very frugal in use. Little ones tend to think they are at home and can run through a lot of water real quick.

Another thing you need to do is go to the Keystone Questions forum, open up the sticky that has the pre delivery inspection list and print it. Take it with you and go through the trailer thoroughly using the list. Let them know ahead what you intend to do. Make sure they make all the corrections before you take it or you will be put at the end of the line and spend the rest of the summer waiting to get it repaired and returned. If they are preparing it so you can pick it up, in addition to going through the PDI with them ask the dealer to provide you a copy of "their" inspection they did prior to you going through it. If I recall they use a pink form at my dealership. That way you will have a record of what was "fixed" that you didn't know about.

Just had a thought: Look at the tires on the RV. Note the brand, size and load range. It shows they are ST225/75R15 LRE which carry 2830lbs. per tire = 11,320lbs. vs an 11,500lb. gross vehicle weight so should be OK considering pin weight reduction. If they say Trailer King on the side.....that's another, entirely different conversation but run them at the max listed on the sidewall and avoid any potholes, curbs etc. - or replace them! Another topic completely.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #10
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new trailer! Lots of great folks here with knowledge and willing to help so ask away. An RV has its own sets of "things" that nothing else does and it is a learning curve; there is no such thing as a stupid question and if one of us can help it certainly beats learning it the "hard way". With a 3 year old daughter seems to me you picked a great time to get into RV camping. I did when my kids were young and they still talk about it - they are 48 and 53. Wishing you great times.
Thank you for the warm wishes and we are excited to make these memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As far as quick tips George hit most of them for right out of the gate. One thing he touched on bears some reinforcement since you are new to trailers; water. Water can be an issue in many ways with an RV but primarily due to a limited supply (dry camping without water hookups) and usage (due to limited storage tanks).

Limited supply won't be an issue if using improved campgrounds with water hookups. Sometimes that presents problems because even though you would have unlimited water you do not have unlimited storage capacity. Hot water is another issue. It appears you will have a 6 gal. tank; 6 gallons does not go far if not very frugal in use. Little ones tend to think they are at home and can run through a lot of water real quick.

Another thing you need to do is go to the Keystone Questions forum, open up the sticky that has the pre delivery inspection list and print it. Take it with you and go through the trailer thoroughly using the list. Let them know ahead what you intend to do. Make sure they make all the corrections before you take it or you will be put at the end of the line and spend the rest of the summer waiting to get it repaired and returned. If they are preparing it so you can pick it up, in addition to going through the PDI with them ask the dealer to provide you a copy of "their" inspection they did prior to you going through it. If I recall they use a pink form at my dealership. That way you will have a record of what was "fixed" that you didn't know about.

Printed this list and ready to go

Just had a thought: Look at the tires on the RV. Note the brand, size and load range. It shows they are ST225/75R15 LRE which carry 2830lbs. per tire = 11,320lbs. vs an 11,500lb. gross vehicle weight so should be OK considering pin weight reduction. If they say Trailer King on the side.....that's another, entirely different conversation but run them at the max listed on the sidewall and avoid any potholes, curbs etc. - or replace them! Another topic completely.
Yes, I've seen the conversations, they will be changed very soon.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:15 PM   #11
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
Greetings and welcome to you and your family!

Congrats on the purchase of your new RV. As Danny said, there are many members who have great knowledge and are happy to share.

Have fun out there!
Thank you Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrusty View Post
Welcome and congratulations. Not that far away. Great camping areas all around. Lots of good help on this forum.
Chatham is not that far, we'll see you around someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
Welcome from south Georgia. Congrats on the purchase and safe travels to you and yours.
Thank you also Sir. Be safe out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
Spend a night or two in the driveway using your trailer like your away from home. Try everything out so when you go for your first trip your familiar with how things work.
I like this idea. Will do this. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:16 PM   #12
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Welcome and SURE do have tips:

1. Don't ask about tires (if you have been here more than a week you will figure this one out)

2. Get EMS (Electrical Managment System). This is NOT a surge protector. Lots of good ones and lots of opinions; mostly the one someone has will be the best!

3. Get TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system). A flat or blow out causes MUCHO damage on a camper.

4. Research RV toilet paper and try to explain why such an abomination is critical to the welfare of your family. If you have a kiddo, potty habits will need some education as RV toilets dump into a shallow tank and lots of toilet paper, coloring books, dolls, etc., don't go through the system.

5. TEST EVERYTHING before camping the first time and be aware that if you have purchased something you might need, you won't need it and if you need something you won't have it. Storage fills fast!

6. Check bed for comfort and head to your local bedding store and get a decent mattress or topper.

7. We use a ZERO water pitcher so clean out campground stuff.

8. Get a premium pressure regulator for city water. The cheapo units won't get er done.

9. Let the missus pick out everything decor related and tell her its purdy.
Very good points, thanks for all the ideas.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:17 PM   #13
Gegrad

Welcome from a former North Carolina resident now living in PA. Lived near Raleigh for 6+ years and visited Gastonia a few times.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #14
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Welcome from a former North Carolina resident now living in PA. Lived near Raleigh for 6+ years and visited Gastonia a few times.
Thank you. I've got family all over the Raleigh/Durham/Roxboro area. I'm sorry someone forced you thru Gastonia. We will be coming thru PA in 5-6 weeks enroute to Maine and may need a campground recommendation.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:18 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChambers View Post
Thank you. I've got family all over the Raleigh/Durham/Roxboro area. I'm sorry someone forced you thru Gastonia. We will be coming thru PA in 5-6 weeks enroute to Maine and may need a campground recommendation.
What route are you considering? I'd suggest you get busy with a site like camp ground reviews and start making calls. That time frame typically books up months in advance. Most CGs in the NE end their season Oct 31 and between Halloween and folks wanting "one last trip" to see the fall colors it will be challenging.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:31 AM   #16
Courser Farm

Welcome from another newbie here. We too bought a Cougar last month, moving from horse camping in an LQ to this. And like you, we just have to get used to civilized camping without horse pens etc!! Happy Camping!
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:35 AM   #17
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
What route are you considering? I'd suggest you get busy with a site like camp ground reviews and start making calls. That time frame typically books up months in advance. Most CGs in the NE end their season Oct 31 and between Halloween and folks wanting "one last trip" to see the fall colors it will be challenging.

I have two stops in Va to look at a couple projects we’ve got under construction, then we’re jumping over to 81 and staying away from DC, NYC, etc. I’ve never driven it but my cousin in Maine does twice a year and is recommending that route versus the 95 route thru those cities and the associated tolls and traffic. This would take me thru- I believe- Harrisburg, Wilkes Barre and Scranton.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:37 AM   #18
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
Welcome from another newbie here. We too bought a Cougar last month, moving from horse camping in an LQ to this. And like you, we just have to get used to civilized camping without horse pens etc!! Happy Camping!

The same to you. No more manure to lull you to sleep. Safe travels.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:29 AM   #19
spicercars

Welcome from Northern MN.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:29 AM   #20
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
Welcome from Northern MN.

Thank you kindly

Tags