Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2021, 02:27 PM   #21
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Carolyn, I'm afraid I will only be adding confusion to this subject. Keep in mind that your RV tires only have a reasonable life span of four years. As a relative newbie that will sound unreasonable to you. If you reach the five year mark past their 'born on date' they should probably be trashed before you actually move the RV to any distant location.
Be sure to keep the tires covered to protect from the sun and assure the pressures are within reason while parked. A flat or low tire will not help your RV being level. Concrete AND wood might be overkill, but I could be swayed in either direction.
Jim, My RV's life span you say is 4 years so mine has been dead since 2006? I know, I know, I don't live in the thing but don't think that would necessarily kill it. Would likely have to replace some stuff not already replaced (water heater in particular) but nothing else seems like old age related death for my 2002 Cougar!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:40 PM   #22
Carolyn B

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Jim, My RV's life span you say is 4 years so mine has been dead since 2006? I know, I know, I don't live in the thing but don't think that would necessarily kill it. Would likely have to replace some stuff not already replaced (water heater in particular) but nothing else seems like old age related death for my 2002 Cougar!
Thanks, I understand and truth is the tires may outlast me then ! Lol so you saying I do not need wood also ? I plan to cover the tires for certain as the rv will be in hot sun !
Carolyn B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I just read tire lifespan was 4 years, not the RV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:13 AM   #24
notanlines

Quote:
George, you skipped over that little word 'tires.' On second thought, maybe a moderator proof-read my post and added it for me....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:14 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

There is no edit that appears on your post Jim.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:30 AM   #26
Zoe

Windows open or closed?

When we’re not camping the fifth wheel is in the barn. Even though there’s no danger of rain getting in we close the windows when we aren’t outside working or playing. The barn has a concrete floor and ventilation but that doesn’t prevent humidity or spiders from entering. We invested in a couple small dehumidifiers (around $35 each on Amazon) that pull a couple cups of water out of the air daily- enough to keep it from being sticky or stale inside. We also keep small non spill damprid in the small wardrobe and bath and kitchen cabinets. On clear dry days we open it let in some fresh air it during the day. So far we haven’t had any problems in 25+ years of RV ownership. Happy Camping!
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:38 AM   #27
Andymil

Don’t leave it closed up. We had our 5th wheel in storage in Myrtle Beach for 18 months, no power available, with the vents open (MaxAir covers) and had no odors or mildew problem at all when we went in it.

Spray insecticide around the tires, jacks and anything that touches the ground when parking for long periods.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:52 AM   #28
daveinaz

Here in dry, dusty, hot, Arizona, we keep both windows and vents closed in order to keep the dust out. Then I put the reflective insulation board in all the windows and put those insulating pads in the roof vents. It keeps it much cooler keeping the sun out of it. Before I put the reflective insulation in the windows, it would easily get above 110 in the trailer when it was only in the 90s. Now it has been 110 or higher for close to two weeks and when I went to get the trailer to prep for our trip next week, it felt cooler inside than when it was parked in temps in the 90’s without the insulation.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:11 AM   #29
eewiggles

Dehumidifier

Close up the trailer, add an appropriate size DEHUMIDIFIER.
Works fantastic in storage on our place in AR! Best little money you’ll ever spend. Check it out.
eewiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:34 AM   #30
dooby

Roof Vents

I have 3 roof vents with louvered covers installed on the roof. They are open all summer even when on the road. I found that leaving windows open allowed dust and dirt into the trailer over time. This works to keep temperature and moisture at bay.
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #31
Sokcap48

Our 5ver is parked right by our house. We leave the top vents open and a top crank out window or two. Helps to keep air moving. It has not rained in 55 days and none in sight and at temps running 100-115 we need some air moving.
Hurricane, Utah
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #32
InkedMarie

The NH in your name.....is that for New Hampshire? If yes, from where? I’m in Gilford!

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #33
rlh1957

We leave ours cracked open for circulation and keeping air fresh. If you’re in a dusty area expect some dust.
To us it doesn’t matter since we dust, clean, mop, vacuum before trips.
We have automatic maxxaire fan that comes on if temp inside goes over 90 degrees.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows