Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2021, 05:30 PM   #21
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy43 View Post
When using my EMS system this is what I do. Breaker off, plug EMS in pedestal, turn breaker on, let it go through it's cycle, plug 50A cord in EMS, make sure it's still reading good then plug in RV. Make sure everything is off inside and the cord is not warm. Am I doing this correctly? Opinions.
No your not!
Connect everything with the pedestal breaker OFF, with EMS connected to pedestal and power cord connected to EME and trailer. Then turn on the pedestal breaker and let the EMS do its job, it won’t energize the trailer if an issue is detected.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:52 PM   #22
sandy43

Ok, thanks guys. I'll change my routine. Makes since. Thanks

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #23
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
If money is no problem, no twisting here.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Power-In...ug/SM96FR.html
I mean that smart plug is significantly less $$ than an EMS, and we advocate for those all the time over a basic surge protector. And if the one on OP's trailer is toast and needs replacing...
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:29 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

An EMS does so much more I hardly think there's a comparison to be made.I haven't seen much talk about the SmartPlug on thid forum. How many people actually have made the switch?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:06 PM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
An EMS does so much more I hardly think there's a comparison to be made.I haven't seen much talk about the SmartPlug on thid forum. How many people actually have made the switch?
You could a couple new power cords for the price of one end!
I'll have to pass......
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:31 PM   #26
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You could a couple new power cords for the price of one end!
I'll have to pass......
Well if you consider the number of 50 amp twist lock connections there are the number that fail are low.
If you it hate to turn, rub a little paraffin on the outside of the plug. I carry a stick of paraffin in my tool box, my go to dry lubricant.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:23 AM   #27
Weldon

Something similar happened to my 30 Amp using an EMS. I always turn off the breaker at the pedestal before plugging in the EMS. My EMS somehow got water logged and my shore power cord was extremely hot when I unplugged everything after flipping the pedestal breaker. Everything seemed to be plugged in tightly. My shore power end (at the least) has to be replaced, and I'm contacting Progressive today about the EMS. I'm just happy we didn't have a fire. Our A.C. was running almost nonstop for 7 days at the beach where temps were in the mid 90's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210626_105921.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	34321  
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:16 AM   #28
Jerry S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
Hi all,

I want to share a near-miss fire that happened the last time I was out with our 5th wheel. I pulled into the campground, hooked up the power, detached the pull vehicle and then leveled the unit.

I went inside to turn on the AC units -- there are 2 of them. The bedroom unit turned on, but the living room unit did not. I thought it was a thermostat issue, but then realized that one of our other appliances was not working either.

I checked all the fuses but none of them were tripped.

I went outside, thinking that there was a problem with the utility post that I was plugged into (50 amp), but all looked well. Then I jiggled the shore power cable where it connects to the back of the 5th wheel and BINGO, the living room AC turned on! Problem solved.

But upon leaving the campground and disconnecting the shore power, I noticed that there had been arcing at the plug -- enough to char the plug.

These TWIST AND LOCK plugs can come loose!!!! I tightened the collar as much as I could, but it still came loose. Attachment 34293

I wish I knew how to prevent this in the future! Any ideas?
What am I missing? He said 50 amps, that is not a 50 amp plug. Most RV with two ACs are wired for 50 amps. A twist and lock plug will not come lose, you have other problems.
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:22 AM   #29
chunker

Power cords pull down on the side of the RV and the weight of the cord could easily cause the connection to loosen. Plus it can cause the house side to pull away from the RV not good for any wiring connections. I got a 90* adaptor for the GF's 5th wheel and my previous toy hauler and that adaptor provides strain relief for the cord and connection. With the cord connected to the adaptor, I also push the excess cord to the left on the ground which "tightens' the connection.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1186_.jpg
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:24 AM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
What am I missing? He said 50 amps, that is not a 50 amp plug. Most RV with two ACs are wired for 50 amps. A twist and lock plug will not come lose, you have other problems.
Jerry, The OP's plug is a twist lock affair with a ground in an outer ring. I didn't see it as a 50A cord either and was promptly corrected.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #31
DWBinRI

Install a smart plug see at smartplug.com

Nighthorse - 2020 F-450 CC DRW 6.7
Hitchhiker - 2020 Cougar 367FLS
DWBinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #32
James R Moneypenny

50 amp connection

Glad it wasn't worse. I had a similar issue, but the upshot was the converter caught fire and smoked pretty bad. You might want to take apart your connection on the camper. When I disassembled mine I discovered that the white wire was loose in it's connection. It had been arcing, was all black and repairing it resolved our problem.

Good luck.

Jim Moneypenny
James R Moneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #33
eewiggles

30 vs 50 amp

I too am confused but your female plug looks like 30 amp?
eewiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #34
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
Hi all,

I want to share a near-miss fire that happened the last time I was out with our 5th wheel. I pulled into the campground, hooked up the power, detached the pull vehicle and then leveled the unit.

I went inside to turn on the AC units -- there are 2 of them. The bedroom unit turned on, but the living room unit did not. I thought it was a thermostat issue, but then realized that one of our other appliances was not working either.

I checked all the fuses but none of them were tripped.

I went outside, thinking that there was a problem with the utility post that I was plugged into (50 amp), but all looked well. Then I jiggled the shore power cable where it connects to the back of the 5th wheel and BINGO, the living room AC turned on! Problem solved.

But upon leaving the campground and disconnecting the shore power, I noticed that there had been arcing at the plug -- enough to char the plug.

These TWIST AND LOCK plugs can come loose!!!! I tightened the collar as much as I could, but it still came loose. Attachment 34293

I wish I knew how to prevent this in the future! Any ideas?
Your picture shows a 30amp twist plug.
An RV with two AC’s should have a 50amp plug.

Two AC’s will pull too many amp for 30amp wiring.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #35
wiredgeorge

Post 27 shows a 30A plug; the OP (post 1) showed the female end of a 50A twist lock as the ground is in some sort of metal ring on the outside; two hot legs and a neutral are shown.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:31 AM   #36
JWyatt

I hated mine so much I replaced with the Smart plug! I love this plug!!! Very easy to change out!
JWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #37
Bandit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBinRI View Post
Install a smart plug see at smartplug.com
Totally agree. I have a twist lock 50 amp plug on my trailer. I plugged it in a few weeks ago at home after a trip. I had a 50 amp RV pedestal installed in front of my house in order to do this. When I was getting ready to leave for a camping weekend yesterday, (didn't make it to the campground, truck broke down) I went to disconnect my shore power cord and found the locking ring backed off and the plug a little loose. I inspected the plug and it looks ok. When I got the trailer towed back home late last night, I hooked up shore power again and made sure the twist lock was tightened securely. I absolutely hate this thing. As soon as the warranty is up, I intend to replace it with a 50 amp smart plug. I found them on Amazon, but haven't done much to comparasion shop yet. https://www.amazon.com/SmartPlug-B50.../dp/B01E1B7QZ0
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:03 AM   #38
Johnba24

Years ago we had the same problem. I bought a 90 Degree adapter to plug in to the unit, with the cord from the pedestal plugging into the adapter. It took the strain off the cord by not having to make a 90 degree bend back to the power pedestal.

Worked for me
Johnba24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:49 AM   #39
bobnelms

Yes, I am in the process of replacing both sides of the connection, however I did notice something strange in the process.

If I look at the RV connection (where the shore power cord connects to the RV), there are of course 3 prongs. The one with no tabs is the WHITE, but then the prong that's adjacent to the WHITE prong going COUNTER clockwise is labelled "X", and the prong that's adjacent to the WHITE going CLOCKWISE is labelled "Y."

Now on the plug that is supposed to be inserted into this shore power connection, the X and Y are switched (they do not match the input connection on the RV).

So here's the question -- can the X and Y be switched with no problem, or will it create havoc if I switch them?
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote