Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2021, 10:10 AM   #1
Skippy38

Changing House Battery

My main battery is at the end of its life. I have a new battery ready to go in. I am stationary at the moment connected to shore power. Should I disconnect completely from shore power first to change the battery or can I flip the disconnect to isolate the battery then change it while still connected to shore power? I don't want to blow anything up lol...thanks!
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
bobbecky

Probably easiest to just turn off the main breaker at the pedestal, then turn off your battery disconnect, remove the negative cable from the battery(make sure you remember which cable is negative and which is positive), then remove the positive cable and swap out the battery. Then, just reverse what you just did putting things back to normal.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
My main battery is at the end of its life. I have a new battery ready to go in. I am stationary at the moment connected to shore power. Should I disconnect completely from shore power first to change the battery or can I flip the disconnect to isolate the battery then change it while still connected to shore power? I don't want to blow anything up lol...thanks!
It's just me, but I would not trust "how" "the disconnect to isolate the battery" is wired. For instance, are you positive that that would prevent the charger/converter from feeding the battery as it does the entire time you are connected to shore power? To be safe, I would disconnect from shore power, solar power, all power, before changing your battery.
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax (sold)
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Probably easiest to just turn off the main breaker at the pedestal, then turn off your battery disconnect, remove the negative cable from the battery(make sure you remember which cable is negative and which is positive), then remove the positive cable and swap out the battery. Then, just reverse what you just did putting things back to normal.
Excellent advice. Did exactly as you described and the 5 minute job is complete. Thanks!
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery