Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
markcee

Temperature Taking?

Just did my first trailer brake magnet replacement, plus a bearing repack on all 4 wheels. As I am a confirmed glass half empty kinda guy, that does not trust my work, it got me thinking about some random RV'ing videos where I've watched people using an IR thermometer to test hub temps when gassing up etc. I currently have trailer TPMS that provides realtime tire temp, but what do you guys/gals think about shooting the hub temps to try and stay a step ahead of any issues?

Also, if you do use an IR thermometer, do you look for one hub temp to be significantly higher than the other wheels or is there some type of magic number you look for?
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I keep a inexpensive IR thermometer (HF special) in my drivers door pocket. When we stop (typically rest stop) the DW goes to the bathroom first. I let the engine idle to cool down the turbo. I get the dog out and leash in one hand IR in the other walk around the trailer. I'll shoot the ball coupler (should be close to ambient), each trailer rim close to the hub. I'm not concerned about the temperature number only a large variance. If one is notably higher than the one on the same side then it could be a bearing or it could be a brake that's tighter. If one is notably cooler than the others than that brake set may not be working or needing adjusting.

If no issues then I'll take the dog to grass or wooded area before returning him to the truck and visiting the bathroom myself. You can see the hierarchy there, DW first, then the dog, then me. Almost forgot one step. Before dog gets back in I give him some water to drink outside. Yes, I get my drink last to.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

In the past, I've always used an IR thermometer to check tire temperature and hub temperature. I've always used a "comparison of tires/hubs on the same side" for relatively close temperatures. I've found that the tire temps on the sunny side can be 15-20 degrees hotter than on the shady side...

I have always considered this to be a "good indicator of tire/hub/wheel bearing condition".... That is, until this past summer. We were going to southern Michigan for a family camping weekend. We stopped at a rest area about 10 miles from the campground. I figured it would be more convenient to do a bathroom break there rather than lining up with the trailer in the road when we got to the campground... So, as usual, while DW was in the rest area, I did my usual walk around, thumping tires and taking temperatures, checking windows and awning security.... The tires were "as expected" and the hubs were as well. I always "shoot the hubs" near the center and near the outer circumberence (bearings in the center and brakes at the edge)... There were no indications of anything being out of the ordinary....

We got to the campground, drove through the gate to park and walk back to register. As the trailer cleared the gate shack, I was watching in the side mirror to make sure the trailer was clear of the shack and I noticed the rear driver's side trailer tire "wobble and come off". I slammed on brakes and went back to check (maybe 3-4 feet after I noticed something wrong and at maybe 5MPH). The tire/wheel/hub was intact and the entire assembly has come off the spindle.

WOW !!!!! Had that happened just a mile before, we'd have been on the highway at 60+ MPH !!!!! Thinking back on my "always check at every stop".... Nothing was identified as out of the ordinary at the stop. Everything seems normal, no temperature issues with the tires, hubs, wheels.

So, at least for me, I still check at every stop, always "shoot" the tires, the hub center and hub edges and compare temps, expecting the sunny side to be a bit warmer.... I'll continue to do that, but now, I also do a more critical look at tire alignment and actually "kick the tires" looking for any movement.

A long explanation, but I suppose, at least for me, I use temperature as an indicator of a problem, but no longer use "no abnormal temperature" as meaning there's no problem".... Things can go wrong without the temperature rising..... So, it's one indicator of a potential problem, but don't exclude a possible issue because the temps are OK.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Not much more to add for help just a "It happened to me."
I checked and repacked my 2 axle boat trailer bearings. Pulled the trailer on a test ride and help get the grease tossed all around in the hubs. I stopped at the half way point at a rest stop and IR'ed the hubs. 3 were within 10 degrees as I recall 120 to 130. 4th was about 190f. That showed me I had a problem. It ended up the brake pads on that wheel were not releasing.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:46 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

TPMS systems serve some very important functions. IR readings serve some others. Visual and manual observations do more. IMO you need them all, and more, to keep the unexpected from getting you when you least expect it - there's too much at stake with that big "box" tailing/pushing you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:20 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Yes sir, a few hundred spend can save you thousands in repairs.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
dutchmensport

I have 3 or for of these themometers and keep one in the camper all the time. I do occasionally check my trailer tires. I shoot the same spot on each hub and look for variances. I'll also shoot the actual tires for variances also. If the hubs feel hot to the touch, there's a problem. If not, it's OK. Actually, more is not needed.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:15 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I have 3 or for of these themometers and keep one in the camper all the time. I do occasionally check my trailer tires. I shoot the same spot on each hub and look for variances. I'll also shoot the actual tires for variances also. If the hubs feel hot to the touch, there's a problem. If not, it's OK. Actually, more is not needed.

Are you saying that TPMS, manual inspections, checking lug torque etc. are unneeded if the hubs aren't hot? I'm thinking I'm misinterpreting but that's what it sounds like??
Old 01-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #9
markcee

Thanks for all the input guys. Order placed with Amazon.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I keep a inexpensive IR thermometer (HF special) in my drivers door pocket. When we stop (typically rest stop) the DW goes to the bathroom first. I let the engine idle to cool down the turbo. I get the dog out and leash in one hand IR in the other walk around the trailer. I'll shoot the ball coupler (should be close to ambient), each trailer rim close to the hub. I'm not concerned about the temperature number only a large variance.
Yup. Mine disappeared a few weeks ago; after a fruitless search I bought another at HF this week. The thermometer doesn't have to be "clinically accurate," just properly show you that there is a significant differential between one wheel and another. The TPMS temperature readings are nice, but only tell you about the tires, not the wheels.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:05 PM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Yup. Mine disappeared a few weeks ago; after a fruitless search I bought another at HF this week.
Ha ha! As my Quebecois mother-in-law was fond of saying, "the wudgies* got me." Went out to put the new thermometer in the truck, and rediscovered that the F-250 has two glove compartments (one pretty well camouflaged). Yup, it was in there.

It's true -- the memory is the second thing to go.

*According to French-Canadian legend, wudgies like to hide things from you; then return them after you've spent money on replacements.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Ha ha! As my Quebecois mother-in-law was fond of saying, "the wudgies* got me." Went out to put the new thermometer in the truck, and rediscovered that the F-250 has two glove compartments (one pretty well camouflaged). Yup, it was in there.

It's true -- the memory is the second thing to go.

*According to French-Canadian legend, wudgies like to hide things from you; then return them after you've spent money on replacements.

Dang CD! Thanks. I had no idea what it was but I must be surrounded or infested with "wudgies"; my things seem to disappear daily then all of a sudden I find them after I've bought replacements. Whowuda thought?
Old 01-23-2021, 05:35 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Dang CD! Thanks. I had no idea what it was but I must be surrounded or infested with "wudgies"; my things seem to disappear daily then all of a sudden I find them after I've bought replacements. Whowuda thought?
OMG! It's here to. It's spreading faster than the Coronavirus!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 07:37 AM   #14
Bclayton

I just had the same thing happen yesterday on rv. Three were at 100 or so and the other was at 120. Just completed installing new bearings and seals. I’m guessing it’s the brake adjustment, which I’ll check and back off some. How did you fix the sticking brakes shoes? Thanks!
Old 10-26-2023, 10:08 AM   #15
dutchmensport

Well..... in order to take the temperature you have to remove the diaper, turn the baby over and .... um .. oh! different temperature taking! oops!

OK, yep, I carry one of those infrared thermometers and use is sometimes. I'm not enslaved to constantly watching things though, but do periodically check. I just point at the actual rubber tire, then the center of the hub. I do a quick check on all 4 tires on the trailer. I often check the truck tires too at the same time. Usually, the tires are very close in temperature.

Actually, I use that thermometer more to monitor the air conditioner and different temperatures inside the camper. It's amazing the temperature difference between the ceiling and the floor, and the front to the back!

Click here ... laugh
Old 10-26-2023, 10:25 AM   #16
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Are you saying that TPMS, manual inspections, checking lug torque etc. are unneeded if the hubs aren't hot? I'm thinking I'm misinterpreting but that's what it sounds like??
Well, I suppose I should go back and read through the entire thread before responding (a second time!)... Well, here's a 3rd.

I have found being retentive to the tires is mentally exhausting. I have found I do not need to check my lugs, monitor the TMPS, or constantly watch for slight temperature variations and then if something changes a degree end up freak-out.

I do occasionally check my lugs. If they are tight and I can't move them, they are good. If the tire pressure is spot on (exactly 100 psi cold) they are good. If when on the road, the temperature stays at a consistent temperature for all 4 tires, all is good.

I have a base line for all of these things. And yes, "occasionally" check when on the road. But, I'm not obsessed by it! Big difference.
Old 10-26-2023, 02:55 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Well, I suppose I should go back and read through the entire thread before responding (a second time!)... Well, here's a 3rd.

I have found being retentive to the tires is mentally exhausting. I have found I do not need to check my lugs, monitor the TMPS, or constantly watch for slight temperature variations and then if something changes a degree end up freak-out.

I do occasionally check my lugs. If they are tight and I can't move them, they are good. If the tire pressure is spot on (exactly 100 psi cold) they are good. If when on the road, the temperature stays at a consistent temperature for all 4 tires, all is good.

I have a base line for all of these things. And yes, "occasionally" check when on the road. But, I'm not obsessed by it! Big difference.

Although my quoted response was almost 3 years ago?? the question was and is valid. The interpretation was that if the hub isn't hot nothing is warranted and I tried to clarify. Using a temp gun, checking lug torque, using a TPMS are not obsessive and are actually well known and encouraged safety procedures. Does a person need to check lug nut torque at every stop, once a day, once a week, once a month? Depends. I will tell you that a 1/2 ton pickup (2 years old) carrying a tongue weight that put it a few hundred over gvwr needed to have the lug nuts tightened at the end of every travel day - they would back off about 1/4 turn daily; I have no idea what they would have done if you just let them go for a week. My HD trucks have not required that kind of attention. So, depending on the situation and circumstances obsession (attention to detail) might save one's tail.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:05 PM   #18
fjr vfr

I have TPMS units on the valve stems that tell both pressure and temperature. But, the temperature readings are pretty meaningless as far as the tires. Spinning out in the wind all I read is ambient air temperature, which varies as to which side is in the sun.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote