Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2021, 07:16 PM   #1
TN Traveler

Musings on developing a RV site for rental.

I have a vacant lot with a gravel driveway, sewer, water & electric. This lot previously had a mobile home on it. It could easily be adjusted to accommodate an RV of any size.

The lot has several acres, adjoins a state park / forest, is within 6 miles of two significant interstates, is about 200 yards off the blacktop road…

Local RV sites stay busy and many that offer weekly / monthly rates have waiting lists.

I would not want this to be a long term RV rental property.

My obvious initial concerns are liabilities. The lot is zoned residential. I would not want to make this a commercial endeavor.

Has anyone ever established something like this on your personal property? If so, how did it turn out? I would really appreciate your input and thoughts.
B&W Companion

TN Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:24 PM   #2
Sarge2

I purchased some property near Rogersville TN that had a modular home that burned down, so had water, sewer and electric available... had the idea to use with the idea of making it a winter place to go with my TT only to find after going to the county offices, that I couldn't use that for that purpose, had to put a permanent structure on it... Sold it shortly after... now has another modular home on it...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:59 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I would venture a guess that it would take zoning changes-and that means public hearings, red tape, etc. how long would it take to recoup those costs?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

My limited experience buying. selling, owning property in 3 different states and 6 counties. You need to check with the county and city (If city applies) before you do anything. Nothing like a RED TAG attached to your property.
Doing stuff to bypass codes never works out well.
Get the facts, pay for permits, do what they need 1st. Than come back and ask questions about making your idea work out.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:10 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
My limited experience buying. selling, owning property in 3 different states and 6 counties. You need to check with the county and city (If city applies) before you do anything. Nothing like a RED TAG attached to your property.
Doing stuff to bypass codes never works out well.
Get the facts, pay for permits, do what they need 1st. Than come back and ask questions about making your idea work out.
Agreed, it's called "due diligence". First check with governing bodies on usage at the zoning office (helps if you have a Plat map or number). Then if no issues I'd visit my insurance agent for proper coverage and talk with an experienced property attorney for tax and liability implications.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:20 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

About 15 years ago, we bought two adjacent residential lots (zoned Rural Recreational) near where we live. They have full hookups and are zoned for travel trailer use, but not for "permanent travel trailer use". In other words, staying several months is OK, staying 24/7/365 is not OK.

After we built our house, we decided to at least pay the taxes on them by renting them during the summer, more for extended stays than for daily/weekly stays. The first year went fairly well. Then we got into the issues of "we need to leave 3 days early (on a monthly rate) so can we get a refund of those 3 days? Or, we decided to say another month, can you call the people who have reservations and tell them not to come? Or, if you don't have anyone coming in to rent the site, can we leave our trailer on the site, connected for the next 2 weeks for free, since we're coming back for a weekend to pick it up? (with no regard to the site being occupied without payment)....

We finally decided it's just not worth it to deal with the "privileged suburbanites" who feel entitled to use our property without paying or worse, abuse our property by running well water on the ground, flooding the drive, "because we forgot to turn it off after using it".....

I found that unless you're "on site to monitor your investment" it's just not worth it to allow irresponsible people to destroy it..... No, not everyone fits that category, likely very few do, but there's just no way to determine who is responsible and who isn't, until it's too late.....

A couple years ago, someone made an offer we just couldn't refuse, so now I don't need to ride the mower down the road any more.....

If it were me, I wouldn't rent to strangers if you plan to take care of the property.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

In addition to all of the above are you ready for the work of scheduling, checking people in and out, fooling with maintenance calls, annoying campers, etc? No economy of scale here to hire helpers.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
In addition to all of the above are you ready for the work of scheduling, checking people in and out, fooling with maintenance calls, annoying campers, etc? No economy of scale here to hire helpers.
It really gets "frustrating" when you have someone saw the threaded endcap off the sewer connection because their sewer hose has a sponge gasket and it was too tight to push down far enough so the hose drained... (no, there was no hose cradle or support used). I do all my own work, but even then, digging up the ground around the sewer connection, cutting it back far enough to install a coupling and a new pipe section and installing another screw on endcap was a day's work and about $50 in parts.....

That's just one of many "I can't believe you did that" events which motivated us to just let the property sit rather than deal with "idiots"..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:03 AM   #9
CedarCreekWoody

I expect that would be my feelings too.
Andersen hitch
Old 01-21-2021, 08:36 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

JMO but rentals of any kind anymore bring far more disadvantages than advantages. The days of "assuming" someone renting anything you have will be respectful of it are long gone. They feel "entitled" and that $500 they paid for the month entitles them to do $5000 in damages when they leave.

When my daughter was looking for another home here in FL I went with her to look at numerous homes with large discounts - seemingly bargains. Those homes, rentals and leases generally, were in unbelievable shape. Holes in the walls, busted bathroom sinks, disgusting "stuff" all over the floors; one had the doors on the included fridge twisted up and the front of the dishwasher caved in....and these were NICE homes....at one time. Nope, I couldn't, and wouldn't do it - I'd be in jail.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

I have a relative that moved from their home and rented it out for a few years. It was a nightmare. In Maryland the renters laws are very pro renter. The individual they rented to knew those laws like she authored them. Constantly months late on rent and would pay the day before an eviction notice could be issued.

Quintsential problem renter......
Old 01-21-2021, 10:40 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I have a relative that moved from their home and rented it out for a few years. It was a nightmare. In Maryland the renters laws are very pro renter. The individual they rented to knew those laws like she authored them. Constantly months late on rent and would pay the day before an eviction notice could be issued.

Quintsential problem renter......
My first overseas tour as a civilian, a good buddy also overseas with us rented his house back home to a "friend" (meaning he played cards with the guy). The guy decided to put in a huge patio and brick grill and just decided to deduct it from his rent and never consulted my friend. This was in Maryland. I still remember deciding at that point to never be a landlord.
Guess the card playing friend/renter wasn't so much when my co-worked got back tot he States.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:47 AM   #13
jasin1

We had our last renter move out of a small house on our property. Gave him a break because he was getting a divorce and was someone my daughter previously worked with. We told him we were only renting to him and no roommates or anyone else and the rent would be cheap till he could get on his feet. (He had a mortgage)He said oh no it’s just me,and my son when it’s my turn to have him. Maybe one day my girlfriend may come but I willlet you know ahead of time.
The first day before he even showed up his girlfriend came and asked for a key( I wouldn’t give it) he moved her in later that day.
Now it’s two people with full time jobs getting a break on rent. He bothered me constantly about little things.I told him he is renting the house and 10’ all around it,nothing more. He constantly was worried about things several hundred yards way that he wanted me to look at ( tree fell back of property)He moved things into sheds on the property and his girlfriend tore up the front yard because she wouldn’t move his car from the driveway if it was behind her. Punched a hole in the shower enclosure.ughhhh never again .Its my daughters home now. He cried poor all along but rented a house for almost twice as much down the street from me because he loves the neighborhood. I have a large nice water view apt above my detached garage that will sit vacant until maybe a grandson or granddaughter one day may need. I will never rent to someone again.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:15 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Going into deals of any kind with "friends" , whether it's a business, pooling resources to buy a boat or camper, renting a house, etc. typically doesn't end well.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #15
dutchmensport

Don't matter.... if you "rent" it, its now a business. Zoning will be breathing down your neck eventually.

Build a very small house with a very large drive way. Make sure it has a kitchen with a stove and sink, a bathroom with a toilet and shower, and a bed room with a closet. This qualifies for a living domicile. Make it a "tiny home". Now you have a proper building that is capable of actually living in (single family dwelling). Now you are free to live in your camper on the property. (Provided such does not violate a different zoning rule).
Old 01-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #16
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Don't matter.... if you "rent" it, its now a business. Zoning will be breathing down your neck eventually.

Build a very small house with a very large drive way. Make sure it has a kitchen with a stove and sink, a bathroom with a toilet and shower, and a bed room with a closet. This qualifies for a living domicile. Make it a "tiny home". Now you have a proper building that is capable of actually living in (single family dwelling). Now you are free to live in your camper on the property. (Provided such does not violate a different zoning rule).
There are horror stories of this being done and the City/County come out and declare it not within the zoning parameters..and tag it....
I am fortunate that I did check with Hawkins County before I put anything onto the property... Made a decent profit after owning the property for less than 5 months...
Old 01-21-2021, 02:15 PM   #17
jasin1

My family was thinking of buying property in WV..just to build a cabin and be able to take my fifth wheel. Out of curiosity what is the difference between having a TT vs. mobile home? Do they define a permanent structure as something without wheels? I know with mobile homes they usually remove the wheels when leaving in one place. I don’t want to start a hobo drifter camp but wondered what the definition of permanent structure is. Would like to build the cabin but have a used trailer on the property while I build.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #18
CedarCreekWoody

You really have to check with your local zoning department to answer that.
Andersen hitch
Old 01-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #19
Sarge2

Agreed... check the local jurisdiction...
In my case, considering that there were a few "mobil" homes sitting on property near the property I bought, I figured a actual "mobil" home/TT would be ok for some months out of the year... Not the case... "grandfathered" in and no longer allowed to be put in... has to be stick built or Modular home now to meet the newer criteria in that county...
They'd rather have the property vacant, than to allow a pad and hook ups and possibly a storage shed and car port built... so, it remained vacant until I sold it.. Other Areas/counties that I checked with also had the same response..
Good luck with yours and who knows... maybe you can make it happen...
Old 01-21-2021, 03:33 PM   #20
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
You really have to check with your local zoning department to answer that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
Agreed... check the local jurisdiction...
In my case, considering that there were a few "mobil" homes sitting on property near the property I bought, I figured a actual "mobil" home/TT would be ok for some months out of the year... Not the case... "grandfathered" in and no longer allowed to be put in... has to be stick built or Modular home now to meet the newer criteria in that county...
They'd rather have the property vacant, than to allow a pad and hook ups and possibly a storage shed and car port built... so, it remained vacant until I sold it.. Other Areas/counties that I checked with also had the same response..
Good luck with yours and who knows... maybe you can make it happen...
Yes your right it’s a open ended question