Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2020, 07:25 AM   #1
Skillet92

New Laredo awful tires

Beware of Good ride tires. In February we bought a new 2019 367BH. After buying and getting home I noticed the tires were 2 2017s and 2 2018s. No problem I figured I would get at least 2 years. WRONG. Less than 2500 miles and one blowout, one tread separated, and one with a huge bubble forming. Goodrides are the worst I have had so far in my camper travels. I have a TPS and am always checking the tires. I have replaced all three with Hercules F rated 235/85R16s. The original tires were 235/80R16 E rated. Hoping I just got a bad lot of tires. Safe travels guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200930_110814_HDR.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	30074   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200930_110732_HDR.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	30075   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200828_172139.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	30076  
Skillet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Wow. A new contender for China Bomb of the week has joined the fray! Also, Skillet92, add a signature by clicking on the UserCP at the top of each page and add your camper year, make and model and the same for your tow vehicle. Always adds context to your posts. I have no idea what a 367BH is and that info would have helped.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #3
Skillet92

I added all that. Honestly Never knew how. Lol. Yes these tires are the worst I have had on all my campers..
Old 09-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #4
notanlines

Skillet, I sincerely hope you meant ‘four’ rather than ‘three’ tires replaced.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:30 AM   #5
CWtheMan

You have left the door open for criticizing.

How heavy are you traveling?
Are you insuring correct tire inflation before traveling?
Are you exceeding the tire's speed limit?

On the other side.

Tires that old have a history we are unable to substantiate.
Transporters and dealers are sometimes very lackadaisical with tire inflations.
Did you check the inflation pressures at PDI?

So, bottom line, in your opinion, the OEM tires on your trailer are not up to standards.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...B_21_USTMA.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Wow. A new contender for China Bomb of the week has joined the fray! Also, Skillet92, add a signature by clicking on the UserCP at the top of each page and add your camper year, make and model and the same for your tow vehicle. Always adds context to your posts. I have no idea what a 367BH is and that info would have helped.
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2019-...-367bh-tr37946
Old 10-03-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
Skillet92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
You have left the door open for criticizing.

How heavy are you traveling?
Are you insuring correct tire inflation before traveling?
Are you exceeding the tire's speed limit?

On the other side.

Tires that old have a history we are unable to substantiate.
Transporters and dealers are sometimes very lackadaisical with tire inflations.
Did you check the inflation pressures at PDI?

So, bottom line, in your opinion, the OEM tires on your trailer are not up to standards.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...B_21_USTMA.pdf
Trailer is 12,500 "dry" and according to Love's scales just over 14,300 loaded. Never sees over 70 and that is only passing at times. Cruise is normally set at 65. I Have a TPS system that I have always used. Just like my Goldwing I always check pressures before a trip and before heading home. The camper was new off the lot so other than being moved around the tires have no trips except for delivery.

I have had campers before and these tires are the worst for me.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:27 AM   #8
ChuckS

Honestly at the weight you have listed I’d have to have 14 ply G rated tires and if the existing wheels are rated for 110 psi I’d replace

Sailun S637 series or Hercules 901 series ST 14 ply tires would last several years on your rig if properly cared for and moderate tow speeds observed...under 65 mph.

I’m running 14 ply Geo Star China made tires on their 6th season and have no evidence to cause me to consider replacement yet...

Tires are also covered year round when not towing to minimized UV damage to tires from sun

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Honestly at the weight you have listed I’d have to have 14 ply G rated tires and if the existing wheels are rated for 110 psi I’d replace

Sailun S637 series or Hercules 901 series ST 14 ply tires would last several years on your rig if properly cared for and moderate tow speeds observed...under 65 mph.

I’m running 14 ply Geo Star China made tires on their 6th season and have no evidence to cause me to consider replacement yet...

Tires are also covered year round when not towing to minimized UV damage to tires from sun
I'm curious as to why you would recommend 16" LRG tires for 6000# axles?

The OP has already "plus sized" his tires to ST235/85R16 LRF which provide 3970# of load capacity at 95 PSI. IMO he should have stuck with the original designated size (ST235/80R16 and gone to a LRF) so he could use the same inflation chart for the OE tires on the LRF tires. If he has not set a recommended cold inflation pressure for the new tires he is operating with zero recommendations. Another word; by whim.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #10
Skillet92

Quote:
I'm curious as to why you would recommend 16" LRG tires for 6000# axles?

The OP has already "plus sized" his tires to ST235/85R16 LRF which provide 3970# of load capacity at 95 PSI. IMO he should have stuck with the original designated size (ST235/80R16 and gone to a LRF) so he could use the same inflation chart for the OE tires on the LRF tires. If he has not set a recommended cold inflation pressure for the new tires he is operating with zero recommendations. Another word; by whim.
I went with the 85s instead of 80s and F rated over E rated because I have the clearance, I am only 1/2 inch taller, and the wheels are rated to 110 psi. At 3960 per wheel at 95psi I have 7920 per axle and 15840 for trailer load capacity. Of the 14300 2800 is sitting on the truck. That's 11500 the axles have to carry. While I thought about the sailuns the reviews for the Hercules tires looked good. My thinking was with a heavier tire it would run cooler than a tire that was just enough. Another plus on the new tires were they are all made in the 20th week of 20. So they are brand new.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

If memory serves, Hercules is a world wide brand owned by Cooper Tire and they are made in quite a few locations. Perhaps you could check a sidewall and see where they are made.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:55 PM   #12
gearhead

I think someone like American Tire Distributors owns Hercules. I was told Cooper was involved in rubber formula though. But I have seen somewhere that Cooper does own Hercules.
That's from a salesman wanting to sell me Hercules, which I am considering.
Bottom line I'm not sure.
Keep us updated on how the Hercules serve you.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I think someone like American Tire Distributors owns Hercules. I was told Cooper was involved in rubber formula though. But I have seen somewhere that Cooper does own Hercules.
That's from a salesman wanting to sell me Hercules, which I am considering.
Bottom line I'm not sure.
Keep us updated on how the Hercules serve you.

Go to the Hercules website and see they have been a partner of Cooper for 50 years. Saw this:

Hercules: Ride On Our Strength

The Cooper Tire & Rubber Company began manufacturing Hercules tires in 1960, and the two companies remain a partnership today. Hercules Tire is a market leader of replacement tires, and they provide tires for drivers all over the world. Go to the Cooper website and you can't find Hercules as I recall.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet92 View Post
I went with the 85s instead of 80s and F rated over E rated because I have the clearance, I am only 1/2 inch taller, and the wheels are rated to 110 psi. At 3960 per wheel at 95psi I have 7920 per axle and 15840 for trailer load capacity. Of the 14300 2800 is sitting on the truck. That's 11500 the axles have to carry. While I thought about the sailuns the reviews for the Hercules tires looked good. My thinking was with a heavier tire it would run cooler than a tire that was just enough. Another plus on the new tires were they are all made in the 20th week of 20. So they are brand new.
You have missed the point. You plus sized your tires. A new recommended cold tire inflation pressure is needed for the plus sized tires as you invalidated the federal certification label with a different designated tire size. You'll now need a load inflation chart for the new designated size.

NHTSA allows the use of an auxiliary tire inflation information label to be placed adjacent to the certification label with the new tire size and recommended cold inflation pressure (s).
Old 10-06-2020, 07:56 AM   #15
Skillet92

Quote:
You have missed the point. You plus sized your tires. A new recommended cold tire inflation pressure is needed for the plus sized tires as you invalidated the federal certification label with a different designated tire size. You'll now need a load inflation chart for the new designated size.

NHTSA allows the use of an auxiliary tire inflation information label to be placed adjacent to the certification label with the new tire size and recommended cold inflation pressure (s).
Um what?? The STEEL wheels are good to 110psi. The TIRES have a max inflation of 95psi for a max load of 3960. Cold inflation should be 95psi. Why would I inflate the tires lower than the 95psi when the wheels can handle the pressure. Is having to much load capacity a bad thing??
Old 10-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #16
CWtheMan

Quote:
Um what?? The STEEL wheels are good to 110psi. The TIRES have a max inflation of 95psi for a max load of 3960. Cold inflation should be 95psi. Why would I inflate the tires lower than the 95psi when the wheels can handle the pressure. Is having to much load capacity a bad thing??
You're still missing the point. We as consumer/owners have a responsibility to "protect the field". That doesn't imply you have violated it, just slightly sidestepped it.

This is a "by the book" proposal. USTMA provides tire industry standards. The basic standard for replacement tires is; They must provide - via inflation - a load capacity provided by the Original Equipment tires at their recommended cold inflation pressure. Designated sizes do not include load capacities because many are built with more than a single load range.

You have replaced your OE tires with a designated size that is referred to as "plus size". Meaning they are larger than the OE tires and provide different load capacities at identical PSI settings, which invalidates the vehicle's tire information. A tire, with a designated size ST235/80R16 LRE provides, at best, 3520# of load capacity at it's maximum inflation pressure of 80 PSI. Your replacement designated size ST235/85R16 at a LRE will provide 3640# of load capacity at 80 PSI. However, being a LRF it has the capability to provide 3970# of load capacity at 95 PSI. IMO the plus sized tires should have a recommended cold inflation pressure - set by you - that will provide 15% in excess load capacity above the vehicle certified GAWRs. Everything between that recommendation and sidewall max is optional.

NHTSA approves the use of supplemental tire labels when the federal certification label is no longer providing the correct tire/wheel information.

The ST tire manufacturers do not provide examples of a supplemental label so I went and borrowed one from a Firestone SOP pdf. For ST tires you change the load index info to load range info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Placard_Label_348[1].jpg
Views:	136
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	30195

Note: Tire inflation charts are standardized for designated sizes, so the one below can be used with any designated size that matches the chart information.

https://fifthwheelst.com/documents/C...T-Modified.pdf
Old 10-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #17
Tireman9

Quote:
Beware of Good ride tires. In February we bought a new 2019 367BH. After buying and getting home I noticed the tires were 2 2017s and 2 2018s. No problem I figured I would get at least 2 years. WRONG. Less than 2500 miles and one blowout, one tread separated, and one with a huge bubble forming. Goodrides are the worst I have had so far in my camper travels. I have a TPS and am always checking the tires. I have replaced all three with Hercules F rated 235/85R16s. The original tires were 235/80R16 E rated. Hoping I just got a bad lot of tires. Safe travels guys.

You need to file a complaint with NHTSA for EACH failed tire.
A lot of people don't bother than complain about the poor quality of tires.
NHTSA can order tire recalls but they need to do an investigation and without personal injury involved basiv RV trailer tire failures end up low on the priority list unless there are a number of failures of same size and similar date tires.

NHTSA wants the vehicle VIN and full DOT serial of the tires. If you can provide inflation information and actual scale weights per axle that will help.

Just telling them tou had 4 failures and were only driving 55 mph is not enough detail.

Tags
laredo, tires