Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
CrazyCain

Where oh Where

Dropped by General Rv in Wixom Michigan for some Lap sealant yesterday and was floored that their Inventory, which is usually very high, was probably at 25% of what they usually have on the lot...2020 (Rona) has made the RV industry boom I guess.....

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
Dropped by General Rv in Wixom Michigan for some Lap sealant yesterday and was floored that their Inventory, which is usually very high, was probably at 25% of what they usually have on the lot...2020 (Rona) has made the RV industry boom I guess.....
Factories were closed so no replacement inventory. Still can’t get parts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Even when we came back the first week of August some of the RV dealerships we passed that usually had a very large inventory had very little in stock. Even at this late date many, many things are in short supply or take forever to get. Amazon Prime went from prime to subpar on their product availability then shipping timeframes. It's getting a bit better but not like it was.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Factories were closed so no replacement inventory. Still can’t get parts.

Well never thought of that, but i heard sales are booming, well on the news anyway.. LOL

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 09-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #5
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Even when we came back the first week of August some of the RV dealerships we passed that usually had a very large inventory had very little in stock. Even at this late date many, many things are in short supply or take forever to get. Amazon Prime went from prime to subpar on their product availability then shipping timeframes. It's getting a bit better but not like it was.
Agree with the Amazon, was gonna get the la[ sealant on line, but shipping took a wk, if they even had some in stock

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 09-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Sales are booming. Dealerships around here can't keep trailers in stock. Every one they get in is sold in short order... Even used trailers are selling for a premium. Right now, more people want an RV than there are RV's for sale, so it's a "name your price and you'll get it" for the sellers and a "oh boy, we found one that's close to what we wanted" for the buyers.....

Add factory closures, parts backlogs and it makes the "supply and demand" even more critical.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sales are booming. Dealerships around here can't keep trailers in stock. Every one they get in is sold in short order... Even used trailers are selling for a premium. Right now, more people want an RV than there are RV's for sale, so it's a "name your price and you'll get it" for the sellers and a "oh boy, we found one that's close to what we wanted" for the buyers.....

Add factory closures, parts backlogs and it makes the "supply and demand" even more critical.

^^^^^and a much thinner checkbook as opposed to this time last year.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #8
RCW

My local dealer said that motorized and 5th wheel sales were up but TT sales were off the charts!
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

So I got an Email from RVDA today. Units shipped are supposed to be over 400,000 units this year and 507,200 in 2021. Haven’t seen very many out here.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:26 AM   #10
CrazyCain

Quote:

Sure makes me want to upgrade to bigger TT, but like Sourdough said, the checkbook is thinner due to Covid paycuts on my end...

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 09-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #11
Canonman

My .02, if you're thinking about upgrading just wait a couple of seasons. I think a lot of the folks buying now are buying on impulse. A couple of seasons fighting crowded National and State parks and campgrounds, scheduling hassles, unplanned expenses like RV storage, tow vehicle upgrades, repairs, plus fuel costs and I'm betting a lot of these units will be up for sale. Once the "shine is off the nickel" and the total cost of ownership is realized, there'll be a glut of units ready to sell at a very reasonable price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4924.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	29985  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
My .02, if you're thinking about upgrading just wait a couple of seasons. I think a lot of the folks buying now are buying on impulse. A couple of seasons fighting crowded National and State parks and campgrounds, scheduling hassles, unplanned expenses like RV storage, tow vehicle upgrades, repairs, plus fuel costs and I'm betting a lot of these units will be up for sale. Once the "shine is off the nickel" and the total cost of ownership is realized, there'll be a glut of units ready to sell at a very reasonable price.

I think this will be true. To what extent we don't know yet. I've talked to several that bought or are buying first time because they don't want to fly, stay in a motel, eat out etc. so they buy the RV as an alternative due to the existing environment at the moment. I also think that the majority of new buyers don't yet realize the hassle and expense that RV ownership can present because they have not yet encountered it. Then the question will be how many found something that they really enjoy and want to continue doing or not. I'm positive it won't be for everyone just don't know to what extent - we may have just found a sudden push of new RV owners that are going to love it....if someone will build some campgrounds.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #13
CrazyCain

Quote:
Quote:

Something to think about for sure

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 09-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #14
CrazyCain

Quote:
I think this will be true. To what extent we don't know yet. I've talked to several that bought or are buying first time because they don't want to fly, stay in a motel, eat out etc. so they buy the RV as an alternative due to the existing environment at the moment. I also think that the majority of new buyers don't yet realize the hassle and expense that RV ownership can present because they have not yet encountered it. Then the question will be how many found something that they really enjoy and want to continue doing or not. I'm positive it won't be for everyone just don't know to what extent - we may have just found a sudden push of new RV owners that are going to love it....if someone will build some campgrounds.

Definetly a shortage on those....

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 10-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #15
cenders

Quote:
My .02, if you're thinking about upgrading just wait a couple of seasons.
We were going to downsize our 5th wheel toy hauler for a smaller TT and couldn't believe the lack of inventory. Sure, ours would probably sell very fast but the premium price and lack of choice right now isn't appealing.

We may have to wait more than a couple of seasons as trying to sell ours when the market is flooded won't be ideal either.
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #16
pdaniel

Sales of new rigs and a few good new from dealer lots may be up, but, now on another forum I see many “new” 2020s 5th wheels for sale by owner-used once or twice, too much for me to tow, the truck can’t handle it, not quite what I expected. Some are priced as if they were still on dealer’s lots, and the seller does not realize it is now “used”.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #17
Dkv411

Rv manufacturers were not shut down very long if at all for some. I know forest river in wakarusa indiana closed I think for just a couple weeks. Grand design in middlebury has a mountain of units sitting around looks like they are all waiting on water heaters it was tight getting around in there. My salesman claims that the hauler they use is slammed shipping them but they are all missing a major component when they go and I understand that quite a few of those items are manufactured in Michigan which is still mostly shut down. I haul OSB into mobile home manufacturers and a few rv manufacturers which is why I'm thru these areas several times a month if not weekly.
Dkv411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #18
Mikelff

The CEO of Thor industries was on Mad Money this week and said that there is a back log of key parts that has slowed production but is getting better. Even though the RV manufacturers were not closed that long, their parts supplier may have been. They cant just flip a switch to increase production. Takes time. I agree, in a couple years there will be a glut of new/used RV’s for sale. Prices will drop. Sellers will be dismayed at the depreciation they will have to eat from buying new. People tend to think their stuff is worth more than it is. Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:58 AM   #19
Phil Saran

Another item not brought up is all the forest fires from the west coast to Colorado.
There were a number of campground burned to the ground.
It will take time to rebuild if at all possible.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:08 AM   #20
Camping family

Most places are the same. We just purchased our 5th wheel 2 months ago. Their inventory was almost nothing. Usually it has plenty of tt and motor homes. It was slim pickings. When we talked about ordering one they said could be ordered however, would be at least 6 months if not longer to get in and a much higher cost due to ordering and shipping just one.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote