Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
gepaine

Towing on I-70 West of Denver

I have a 24-foot travel trailer that weighs approximately 7000 pounds fully loaded. I tow it with a 2007 Cadillac Escalade which is rated to pull 8100 pounds. I have travelled around most of the western states at altitudes up to 6500 feet with no problem at all. The most severe climb I have encountered is going eastbound up Steven's pass in western Washington where the last 2.3 miles is a 10% grade (the elevation changes from 2700 feet to 4000 feet). I am able to climb that grade at 50 mph with no problem.

I am planning a trip next year to Denver and do not know how the Escalade will perform on the climb (actually three long, 6% to 7% climbs) up to the Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,000 feet. I read on the web where I should expect a 33% loss of horsepower at 11,000 feet. I'm trying to get a feel for what to expect on the climb.

Has anyone towed a trailer of about 7000 pounds over this pass with a 1/2 ton gas-fueled truck? (Yes, I know the Escalade doesn't have the gearing of a "real" 1/2 ton truck, but I can't think of a better comparison.) What speed were you able to maintain? Did you have any engine or transmission heating problems?

I could take I-80 where the highest summit is 8500 feet or go around south thru northern New Mexico where the highest pass would be about 7500 feet; however, given that I will be coming from Arches NP, either of these options would add about 300 miles to the trip.

Any info will be appreciated.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't been over Loveland Pass or the Eisenhower Tunnel in a few years, but when we lived in Denver, we towed a 20' Jayco (4500 lbs) with a 72 Dodge D200 PU. We'd make it up the approach to the tunnel on the EAST side at about 30MPH in second gear. On the WEST approach, we'd usually manage at about 25MPH. We never had any problems during the summer, but winter travel would always ALWAYS include having chains available if you wanted to travel without delays. By winter travel, I mean October through May.

I don't think you'll have any significant problems negotiating the approach to the tunnel, but expect to be in second/third gear at 25-35 MPH in the truck lane. One point to consider is that once you're through the tunnel, coasting down the other side more than makes up for the hard work encountered in the approach. Be cautious with the coasting, you've got nearly 30 miles of downhill grades, broken by a couple of slight climbs just to keep your interest...

You'll do fine as long as you expect to be in the truck lane and take your time. People tow bigger trailers than yours with NA diesels "belching" black smoke every day.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote