Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2020, 07:24 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
5200 through 7000 pound tubes and spindle are the same. the 8K uses the same inner bearing as 5200 so suspect that even the spindles may be the same.

Oh and your axle will always have 5200 stamped on it regardless of which bearing you use. I have no clue why a 5200 pound axle is eve a listed and used part since the only difference is a few bucks for a bearing tho a few I have seen do have 5 lug, 15" wheels and C/D tires instead of 6 lug, 16" E rated tires and wheels
The way it was explained to me is that the "lighter rated axles" use 10" electric brakes and 5 lug hubs to go along with the smaller bearings. The heavier rated axles use 12" electric brakes and 6 lug hubs with larger bearings and 15" wheels while the heaviest rated axles in the "family of the same tubes/spindles" use 12" electric brakes, 6 lug hubs and even larger outer bearing and 16" wheels. Essentially, the bearings, hubs, brakes and wheels are what make the difference, the axle tube/spindle are identical on all "medium weight axles ranging from 3500 pounds to 5000 pounds and the "next heavier family" use the 5200 pound axle tubes for axle ratings from 5200-8000 pound (?) "don't rely specifically on my rating criteria because I didn't pay a lot of attention to that part of the class, my concern was with repairing the 4400 pound axle on my trailer and what parts I needed to do that repair.

At least that was the way it was explained to me. When we had to replace the spindle on our axle, the "mantra" was that our axles are really 5000 pound 3.5" tubes with the 4400 pound bearing package and 15" 6 lug hubs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #22
Dave W

John, I wish that was always 100% right - gotta say that there is zero consistency from Dexter, now just another LCI brand. But as a rule of thumb, about as close as you are going to get. I would like to find just for personal interest the new 'thick wall' 7K axle specs but nothing on either the Dexter or LCI sites as of last week.

Whatever it is, I hope that the OP will take a look at doing the low buck upgrade. It sure did a good job on our 5er - plus new springs (etrailer @~30 bucks/each plus 9/16" u-bolts replacing the skinny 1/2" junk supplied by Keystone and others
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #23
JimSchwenk

Quote:
5200 through 7000 pound tubes and spindle are the same. the 8K uses the same inner bearing as 5200 so suspect that even the spindles may be the same.

Oh and your axle will always have 5200 stamped on it regardless of which bearing you use. I have no clue why a 5200 pound axle is eve a listed and used part since the only difference is a few bucks for a bearing tho a few I have seen do have 5 lug, 15" wheels and C/D tires instead of 6 lug, 16" E rated tires and wheels
Well, that brings up a question I hadn't even known to ask...
My 5 year old 26RB has 5200 labels on the axles. But it came with 5 lug wheels and D rated rubber. I always thought I'd just move up to E tires and better rims/metal stems when it came time to replace them. I'd like the peace of mind having a bit of excess tire load capacity, given the axles are labeled 5200.
Now, I'm wondering , can you even get 5-lug wheels that'll take 80 psi with metal valve stems, to go with the tire upgrade?
And...your comment about the different bearings being used on the 5200# axles (let alone the leaf spring choice) makes me wonder what they even put on mine during assembly? Ya mean I might not "really" have 10,400 of load capacity axles just hanging under there, waiting for those 4 new E tires?
I'm confused - I thought I had been reading that the label on the axle told the story. Does the axle label assure me that bearings and drums matching up to 5200 are on there?
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #24
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSchwenk View Post
Does the axle label assure me that bearings and drums matching up to 5200 are on there?
If the Original Equipment axles on your trailer do not measure-up to minimum standards, there would have surely been a recall on them by now.

The axle manufacturer's certification label attached to the individual axles does not always match the information on the vehicle certification label for the axles GAWRs. Trailer manufacturer's are authorized to set vehicle certified GAWRs below axle manufacturer's certification. When that happens the excess capability of the axels is known as; load capacity reserves.

Just because replacement tires have more load capacity than the OE tires does not mean the vehicle can carry more weight. That is limited by vehicle certified GAWRs and/or the vehicle certified GVWR. However, with wheels having a PSI limit (some do some don't) that limit should not be exceeded.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:48 AM   #25
Dave W

Quote:
Well, that brings up a question I hadn't even known to ask...
My 5 year old 26RB has 5200 labels on the axles. But it came with 5 lug wheels and D rated rubber. I always thought I'd just move up to E tires and better rims/metal stems when it came time to replace them. I'd like the peace of mind having a bit of excess tire load capacity, given the axles are labeled 5200.
Now, I'm wondering , can you even get 5-lug wheels that'll take 80 psi with metal valve stems, to go with the tire upgrade?
And...your comment about the different bearings being used on the 5200# axles (let alone the leaf spring choice) makes me wonder what they even put on mine during assembly? Ya mean I might not "really" have 10,400 of load capacity axles just hanging under there, waiting for those 4 new E tires?
I'm confused - I thought I had been reading that the label on the axle told the story. Does the axle label assure me that bearings and drums matching up to 5200 are on there?
Now you see why I added that Caveat in my last post to John

About the only way you can be 100% assured that the 5 lug hubs have the same bearing is to pull one and check the part numbers. My guess, and it is ONLY a guess is that yes, they are the same but you are now wheel and possibly tire limited as to what can be done for an upgrade.

With a 5200 through 7000 pound axle, you should have a #42 spindle. The actual dimensions are easily found on the 'net.

One great fisx - 6K bearing disc brakes, new 6 lug 16" wheels along with E or higher rated tires. It's only money (and added safety)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #26
JimSchwenk

Quote:
Now you see why I added that Caveat in my last post to John

About the only way you can be 100% assured that the 5 lug hubs have the same bearing is to pull one and check the part numbers. My guess, and it is ONLY a guess is that yes, they are the same but you are now wheel and possibly tire limited as to what can be done for an upgrade.

With a 5200 through 7000 pound axle, you should have a #42 spindle. The actual dimensions are easily found on the 'net.

One great fisx - 6K bearing disc brakes, new 6 lug 16" wheels along with E or higher rated tires. It's only money (and added safety)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
If the Original Equipment axles on your trailer do not measure-up to minimum standards, there would have surely been a recall on them by now.

The axle manufacturer's certification label attached to the individual axles does not always match the information on the vehicle certification label for the axles GAWRs. Trailer manufacturer's are authorized to set vehicle certified GAWRs below axle manufacturer's certification. When that happens the excess capability of the axels is known as; load capacity reserves.

Just because replacement tires have more load capacity than the OE tires does not mean the vehicle can carry more weight. That is limited by vehicle certified GAWRs and/or the vehicle certified GVWR. However, with wheels having a PSI limit (some do some don't) that limit should not be exceeded.
Thanks to all for the replies. The E tires would be just that - added peace of mind, as long as I was replacing the D-China rubber.
I'll try to attach a photo of the weight sticker. Indeed, it does spec out at the higher rating due to the overall unit weight, but the GVWR, as usual, is 1,000 pounds under the axle totals. Fine with me, but that's how I ended up with D load tires.
What I was trying to understand is the 5-lug wheels on the 5200# labeled axles. The story about the bearings makes sense; same axle tubes, different hardware according to the needs of the unit. It all goes back to the GVWR.
Well, they weren't going to configure the thing with more than they had to. $$$...

I don't overload. I tow with empty tanks, food and the usual chairs, toolbox in the truck, and kitchen junk, and have added only an extra battery to the tongue. No kids, no wife (buy ya gotta allow for that, maybe some day )
Every time I read something on here, I think of a few more questions to ask next time I take delivery on one of these rolling works of art. Everybody have a great week!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180810_104100883.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	28349  
Old 06-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #27
CWtheMan

Quote:
Thanks to all for the replies. The E tires would be just that - added peace of mind, as long as I was replacing the D-China rubber.
I'll try to attach a photo of the weight sticker. Indeed, it does spec out at the higher rating due to the overall unit weight, but the GVWR, as usual, is 1,000 pounds under the axle totals. Fine with me, but that's how I ended up with D load tires.
What I was trying to understand is the 5-lug wheels on the 5200# labeled axles. The story about the bearings makes sense; same axle tubes, different hardware according to the needs of the unit. It all goes back to the GVWR.
Well, they weren't going to configure the thing with more than they had to. $$$...

I don't overload. I tow with empty tanks, food and the usual chairs, toolbox in the truck, and kitchen junk, and have added only an extra battery to the tongue. No kids, no wife (buy ya gotta allow for that, maybe some day )
Every time I read something on here, I think of a few more questions to ask next time I take delivery on one of these rolling works of art. Everybody have a great week!
That certification label is in error. Probably typo error. Keystone would never use 5200# axles on a 9200# GVWR trailer and then set the GAWRs to 5080#. You should talk to Keystone, direct. They are notorious for RV trailer labeling errors. Take a look at their vehicle certification label recall history. Yours may be on the list and never acted on.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #28
JimSchwenk

Never would have guessed. Now here's the real error on my part. I looked at some other photos, and other than airing up tires, I haven't done any bearing work on my own (yet). The camper has sa for most of its life on one spot - 5 years.
Now, I realize that I DO have 6 lug wheels, albeit with D rated tires and rubber valve stems. Must be the half-eye I was looking with.
I'll address the label issue as recommended. I just assumed it was good safety practice to have a GVWR less than the sum of the 2 axle ratings. Having pulled two trailers w hazmat and taught CDL school for few years, I've never liked loading things up to the absolute limit. So thanks for the input on the label.

Tags
axle, light