Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
Sparkz

MORryde Pin Box question

I am looking at the Cougar HT 29RDB and haven’t seen any with the MORryde pin box. Is that even an option for this rig?

I tried calling Keystone but they are closed for inventory.

Lacking the MORryde, what are good options, if any? I have a Ram 2500HD with a 6’4” bed and I would really like to eliminate, as much as possible, the worries associated with tight turns.

Thanks
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

As far as I know, all of Keystone's fifth wheel trailers with a GVW less than about 12,000 pounds come with the standard Lippert 1624 pinbox. It's only the heavier, more expensive trailers that are equipped with MorRyde or "upper grade" Lippert pinboxes.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
Sparkz

Thanks. I just heard back from Keystone and they don’t offer it as a factory option. It’s only available on the full size Cougar’s.
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
bobbecky

Just because it isn’t offered as an option doesn’t mean you can’t upgrade to the MORryde pin box. Just make sure you get the proper weight rated rubber for the weight of the rig. Our Montana came with the MORryde pin box and it’s been great. We also upgraded to the Pullrite slider and never have a worry with our 6 1/2 ft bed.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
I am looking at the Cougar HT 29RDB and haven’t seen any with the MORryde pin box. Is that even an option for this rig?

I tried calling Keystone but they are closed for inventory.

Lacking the MORryde, what are good options, if any? I have a Ram 2500HD with a 6’4” bed and I would really like to eliminate, as much as possible, the worries associated with tight turns.

Thanks
The MorRyde pin box will not aid tight turns on your short bed truck, you need a slider hitch of some brand.
The MR pin box does make for a smoother ride by eliminating most of the chucking & clunking at the pin box.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #6
Frank G

Most of us with the newer 5th wheels having the "Max Turn Technology" and short bed Pickup's do not have or use the slider portion of the hitch. I know this is a hard concept to grasp going about it the first time. According to Keystone's Cougar literature you get up to a 83.3 deg. turn. That is a lot of turn, you have to maneuver into it. Doing so puts a lot of stress on the trailer suspension components and axles as you are sliding the tires sideways, not a good thing. Now, if you are the type of person that is willing to get into tight hilly situations, you may want to consider a good slider hitch and extremely durable tires.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:03 PM   #7
Tooth Ferry

I have seen new ( 7 mo.old ) Montana Have a trailer - cab contact. It was second time since he got it. He finally decided to get a Pullrite auto slider.
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth Ferry View Post
I have seen new ( 7 mo.old ) Montana Have a trailer - cab contact. It was second time since he got it. He finally decided to get a Pullrite auto slider.
Yes, it's not impossible to have cab contact with the newer 5th wheels with the notched corners, but most would be paying close attention when backing at such sharp angles, even closer attention if already done it once.
First time is "Oops!". Second time is "what the hell was he doing?".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
DDG

I have a Cougar 2017 28rks and a Dodge with a 5ft 7in box. I put a Reese sidewinder With airbag and I can make up to a 90 degree turn with out hitting the cab. I tried the turn once and it work great. This is not a turn that you would do everyday. I bought everything from E-trailer.
DDG is offline   Reply With Quote