Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
Shasta Bob

Keystone Cougar Ladder

Help, anybody, I purchased my 2019- 315 Cougar fifth wheel in late April NEW and my salesman said the roof would easily support my weight 300 lbs. well after looking at the roof that was a sales pitch, and I have been looking for a safety load rating on the ladder. I would think for liability/ safety the ladder would support some kind of label showing this, anybody have any info on this?
Shasta Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Most RV roof access ladders do have an sticker on them indicating the maximum weight capacity. Whether that sticker is "missing or removed" from your ladder is anybody's guess.....

Here is one example of a 'typical" RV ladder: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Exterior.../LA-401BA.html In the specs (about halfway down the page) the maximum weight is listed at 250 pounds. I've found that's pretty much the "industry standard" although I'm sure there are some rated less and some rated more. My guess is that ladders with higher ratings would cost more, so with Keystone's "profit margins" I'd doubt they would "spring for an expensive ladder" on any of their products. Cheaper, cheapest seems to be the "rule of the land" in the RV world.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
bearcat77

My Keystone Laredo ladder has a sticker that says 300lb.
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

This is JMO but, at 300 lbs. I would never attempt to use a ladder on an RV. EVEN if says it's rated for 300lbs. it really meant 150-200. I used mine once, I believe rated at 250 - maybe 300 (it's in the shop) and it worked fine....except, all the screws were loose after going up down twice. Never used it again, but....

I've taken it to the dealership several times to have the roof cleaned and serviced. I've watched them use the ladder. I've seen the bent bars. I've fixed, repeatedly, the loose, pulling out screws.

Use it as a convenience - it won't last long at 300 lbs. I now use a ladder from the side, or if I need the rear ladder access, I use a step ladder to get to the top 2 rungs and go from there - I weigh 206.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, keystone, ladder