Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
mcb

One Night Stays

We are planning to do an extended trip late summer/early fall and we will have several one night stays where we will roll in late and leave early the next morning. Have any of you left your 5th wheel attached to the truck and just hooked up to water and electric?

what procedure do you use?
leave hooked to truck?
put landing down etc?

TJ
2017 Ram 2500 Diesel Long Bed
mcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Check this currently running thread.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
Canonman

We've done both, stay hooked up and unhook as well. If I need to get fuel I'll unhook and just take the Ram to fill up. If it's late and I'm too pooped I'll leave it hooked up and get fuel on the way out of town. With the auto level it's only a 15 minute difference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DPP_9180990A-2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	22368  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
mohead1

Leave it on the truck. Put landing gear down and take some of the weight to stabilize. Sewer hose and just use shower/sinks no toilet. Water/electric, put slides out if needed, i usually dont.
Try not to use toilet as tank has been flushed from last longer term stay.
mohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #5
travelin texans

Have done just about anyway you possibly could as far as jacks up/down or hooked/unhooked. If without sewer connection for several nights will take very short quick showers. If toilet is needed we use it, that's one of the luxuries of having a rv, with just 2 of us the black tank will hold a weeks worth.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #6
rhagfo

This is why I worked to get a 100% level tow, so that we could just leave it hooked up. As to overnighting at a Wall World, Cabelsa's, Bass Pro, or other large retailer that allows, I believe do some business with them and making the stay just long enough to be rested and safe to drive.
If I were to stay at a Cracker Barrel I would have both dinner and breakfast at that location.

I worked for several years as a systems repair tech for a large grocery chain in the PNW. If I was in need of a restroom, and stopped at convenience store and used their restroom, I always bought a drink and snack. To me using the facilities without is just rude.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:50 AM   #7
MarkEHansen

In one of the responses, above, I got the impression that the auto-level system was used while the trailer remained connected to the tow vehicle. I've assumed this was not a good idea and wondered how people run their RV fridge overnight when remaining hooked up to the truck (because the fridge wants to be level).

Can you auto-level the trailer while it is hooked up to the truck?
Old 06-21-2019, 05:15 AM   #8
Canonman

I've not used the auto level if leaving the Cougar hooked up for the night. Sorry if I implied that I did. 15 extra minutes to unhook or reattach the next morning using the auto level is what I meant to say. I do use the Tri Level ramps to get as level as possible in either case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0689 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	22371  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:20 AM   #9
MarkEHansen

Thanks. We haven't had to stay overnight anyplace where we should remain hooked up, but was wondering what others do in this situation regarding their fridge.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:32 AM   #10
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
In one of the responses, above, I got the impression that the auto-level system was used while the trailer remained connected to the tow vehicle. I've assumed this was not a good idea and wondered how people run their RV fridge overnight when remaining hooked up to the truck (because the fridge wants to be level).

You are correct,not a good idea. I have found that the Auto-Level may need to lower the trailer lower than the TV bed. I caught it once and was glad I didn't just push the button and walk away. And I have heard this has happened to other 5ers,with damage to the truck bed.
I just use the manual jack mode and leave the truck connected. If the RV site isn't level enough to run your fridge, find another site/park.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #11
travelin texans

Most large parking lots are level enough that running the fridge shouldn't be a problem overnight, unless you park one wheel up on the curb. If it's level enough for you to comfortably sleep in the bed without rolling out the fridge should be fine.
You can press the auto level while hooked to the truck, but won't work due to the front has to drop to begin & can't if connected to the truck. Can go to manual mode & level, or at least stabilize for the night without any issues.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #12
mcb

Thanks

Thanks for all the info, I was wondering what most did if you were just staying for the night. Mine is a self level setup but it sounds like the best method is-

Leave it hooked to truck and use the landing gear to just take the load off a bit. The whole rig is pretty level while sitting hooked up, maybe I'll put down the rear stabilizers just to reduce the movement a little also.

again thanks for the info,
2017 Ram 2500 Diesel Long Bed
mcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:

Don't know about auto level, but 5er rides level behind TV, and this is one of the reasons to achieve that.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #14
larryflew

I don't do the auto level. I just put all 6 legs down to firm to stop some of the wobbling trailer syndrome. LOTS of one nighters over the years and never far enough out of level for fridge not to work.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #15
K_N_L

On a overnight stop depending on how late it is when we pull in, might not disconnect. I am much quicker to disconnect with the 5th wheel than I was with my TT with the weigh distribution hitch though. We've used the jacks to stabilize and level out a bit if needed. From past boondocking trips, know we're good for at least 3 days on all tanks (just the wifey and I) living normally, so would'nt hook up water or sewer, just power and maybe cable if needed.
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #16
kjohn

Sort of on topic, but I noticed a sign at a Campground in Fort Nelson, BC stating that you must unhook. Why would that be? I don't dispute the matter, just wonder why.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #17
GlampingHippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post
Sort of on topic, but I noticed a sign at a Campground in Fort Nelson, BC stating that you must unhook. Why would that be? I don't dispute the matter, just wonder why.

Could be past bad experience.

Attached units are longer and block roadways.
Attached unit not properly parked (TV in neutral/no brake engaged) and entire thing rolls through the campground.
GlampingHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:15 AM   #18
geeman

Quote:

You have to be REALLY off level to effect the fridge. If it is that bad you will have stuff falling off the counter and rolling out of bed. Just about any temporary parking lot type spot you find will be good enough for the fridge or you wont be able to sleep either.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #19
MarkEHansen

That's not what I'm talking about. I realize if the trailer is on it's side, the fridge probably isn't going to function - I'm not disputing that.

What I was told was that when the fridge is off-level, the fluid that is being heated and running through the plumbing (whatever that is called) cannot heat properly and can leave sediments in the channels - reducing the effectiveness, over time, of the fridge.

So, I'm not talking about a condition which would cause the fridge to just not work. I'm talking about a condition which would reduce the effectiveness of the fridge's ability to cool over time so that after a while (I don't know how long) it would need to be replaced.

So, how level is level enough? I just don't know. But I think that having the trailer "level enough" that the fridge will run is not proof that you are not doing damage to the fridge.

Perhaps this is an 'old wife's tale'?
Old 06-28-2019, 06:51 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Refers should be no more than 3 degrees off level when operating “parked”. Moving down the highway doesn’t matter.

What happens is the solution “puddles” in the corners and hardens causing reduced efficiency. Repeated and continued use can cause failure.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote