Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
wozzukes

Springdale 284 Shore Power

We have a 2011 Springdale 284. The mousehole for the shore power is in the back of the unit. We always have quite a time shoving it back into the hole, especially if it is a bit cooler outside, so we're considering changing it over to a detachable cord just like some of the threads on this site. We also want to put an EMS in while we're at it.

The problem is, we can't figure out how to access the area where the current cable coils! Should these areas be easily accessible? From what we can tell the space it coils in is under the wardrobe in the back of the unit. I took the bottom drawers out hoping to see screws or something of the sort holding an access door in place, but no dice, just carpet and flooring. I really don't want to end up having to cut a hole in the floor, but I fear that's what we may end up doing as we can't find any other way to gain access to that area. Is this common practice to not make it accessible or are we totally missing something?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The cable's resting/nesting place should be very close to your converter - wherever that is located in your unit. We changed over to the detachable cord and found it to be much easier and far less frustrating. With the old system, we discovered gremlins who took great delight in tieing a knot in the cord while it was coiled up inside. Could only pull about 5-6 ft out then hit the knot.
We do have a panel that could be removed to access the coiled up cord. It was located under the kitchen counter --- but our layout and floorplan is different than yours.
Changing over to a detachable cord is a very worthwhile modification -- highly recommended. (And the gremlins moved out right after the changeover.)
Old 09-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Flyguy

I had the same problem and converted it over to the Marinco 30a conversion kit purchased at CW. Not cheap! But I like the removable power cord. I think Festus did the same thing with a Marinco kit.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I also converted my "mousehole" to a Marinco 30Amp kit. I bought mine from Amazon.com at substantially less than CW's price. Check online for better prices than CW, you might save a bundle.

On my trailer, the entry storage area for the original cable was in a "cabinet" between the two recliners. The front of the "cabinet" had a sheet of 1/8th" luan much like the access cubbyholes for the water heater and the water pump. When I did my conversion, I replaced the luan with a cabinet door (ordered from Keystone for about $60 with hardware) so we could use the "new found" space for storage. You might check with a flashlight around the mousehole, or even (while unplugged of course) stick a clothes hanger through the mousehole and see if you can find the access by listening to where the wire "taps" inside your trailer.

Also, one member here manufactured a plastic block to mount his kit. It looks really good and eliminated the "just barely cover the hole" adapter that comes with the Marinco kit. Essentially, he took a piece of 1/4" plastic sheet, cut a 6'x6' square, sanded the edges, then cut his center hole. The end result looks very good. Do a search for Marinco on here to find his modification complete with pictures.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote