Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
Ccmano

Too big for Yellowstone?

Earlier this year we made reservations for Yellowstone, Bridge Bay to be exact this coming September. We have a 2018 Cougar 22RBSWE and a 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 tow vehicle. We reserved a 40ft spot. We are now being told our combined length is too long? While the hooked up rig is a total of about 45ft. I planed to unhook and park in a more compact manner. Ive done that many times in other places. They tell me that’s a no go? Has anyone else run into this at Yellowstone? I can’t imagine my little trailer isn’t allowed.
H
:cheers:
Old 05-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
KSH

Are they really going to measure you when you get there?
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #3
scottz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Earlier this year we made reservations for Yellowstone, Bridge Bay to be exact this coming September. We have a 2018 Cougar 22RBSWE and a 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 tow vehicle. We reserved a 40ft spot. We are now being told our combined length is too long? While the hooked up rig is a total of about 45ft. I planed to unhook and park in a more compact manner. Ive done that many times in other places. They tell me that’s a no go? Has anyone else run into this at Yellowstone? I can’t imagine my little trailer isn’t allowed.
H
:cheers:
I think you are fine, you might have misunderstood. I've been to Yellowstone many times and they only ask how long my RV is (35'); not the combined length. We always stay at Fishing Bridge where you must unhook or you will be blocking the road. I suspect Bridge Bay is the same. In any case, you will want to unhook; how else are you going to see Yellowstone? Last time I was there, we reserved a 35' spot and had no problems; our combined length is 53'.

Are you going to Bridge Bay or Fishing Bridge? Only Fishing Bridge has hook ups. I've driven through Bridge Bay but didn't pay too much attention to the size of the sites; looked primitive but more open than Fishing Bridge. All of the sites at Fishing Bridge are tight; close your blinds or you will be watching your neighbor dump his tanks while you are eating dinner. We don't go to Yellowstone because it is a luxury RV park; we go to see Yellowstone.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:59 PM   #4
Wyldfire

Fishing bridge is closed for a year for reconstruction.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...ngbridgecg.htm
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:32 AM   #5
Ccmano

To be clear, this was an extended twenty minute telephone conversation directly with the folks at Yellowstone. We were told in no uncertain terms (and this is on the website) that it was a “combined” measurement, unhooked rigs were not considered and that it was strictly enforced. I wonder if this is a new policy (or newly enforced) or just some “by the book” newbie we happened to get on the phone. Heck even the website shows trailers parked there larger than ours. I’m curious if any has been there recently and what they experienced.
H
Old 05-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
major bumm

I have heard, but never experienced this (only 27' TT), that many national and state parks will not allow TT, 5th, or motorhomes in over 30 or 33'. The source is very reputable, but again, never experienced it.

As an aside, Yellowstone in summer is a ZOO! of people and cars and critters and idiots even rejected from the total idiots club. I can't count how many locals I have talked with that will not go there in summer and even more stories from a college buddy who works there.

It can be more agreeable to stay outside and just drive the truck in for a visit. Cody or Jackson Hole or MT or ID. Who knows, it could be a blessing in disguise.
major bumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

This is speculation on my part, but something to consider. In years past, Fishing Bridge RV Park has been available for larger rigs and offered full hookups, the only "full service campground" in Yellowstone. It is closed this year which means more pressure on the other campgrounds, generally from larger rigs that would normally be parked at Fishing Bridge.

Most of the other campgrounds (from my observations) are typically large enough for RV's up to about 35' with some sites up to 40-45 feet. In "normal years" accommodating 2 or 3 "larger than the site" rigs isn't a big problem, there is parking in other areas and the inconvenience to other's is minimal, having to drive around a car or truck partially parked in the road.

With 10 or 15 cars/trucks parked in the road, it becomes a hazard for people walking or kids playing in the campground.

My guess is that the rangers had some issues with tow vehicles blocking the road in some campgrounds last year and they're trying to get a handle on it this year before it becomes a problem. So, they (Yellowstone management) put out a policy to state: "No oversize rigs in any campground". Enforce the existing policy and don't make exceptions this year."

As I said, just my speculation, but I'd guess they just don't want someone's kid riding a bike to get hurt by someone being irritated by having to drive off the road because a 40' fifth wheel is parked in a 25' site and the "camper" decided not to walk from the overflow parking area, so he blocked the road "for his convenience"..... (I know this seems extreme, but it happens all the time in Yellowstone. Just look at the people with Class C minihomes that try to park in the "car parking lot" at Old Faithful")

As a previous posted stated, "Yellowstone is a zoo in the summer" My take: The Yellowstone Zoo isn't the animals, it's the "no longer in touch with reality" visitors....... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
scottz

Quote:
Originally Posted by major bumm View Post
As an aside, Yellowstone in summer is a ZOO! of people and cars and critters and idiots even rejected from the total idiots club. I can't count how many locals I have talked with that will not go there in summer and even more stories from a college buddy who works there.

It can be more agreeable to stay outside and just drive the truck in for a visit. Cody or Jackson Hole or MT or ID. Who knows, it could be a blessing in disguise.
You got that right. We have been to Yellowstone (summer) many times, but probably never again; too many other great places to see. However, your September trip should be better; cooler, less crowded.

The one thing in Yellowstone that is still on my list is a winter trip.

Sounds like some policy changes have gone into effect; sorry. You might consider staying in West Yellowstone, ID; right outside park entrance.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
To be clear, this was an extended twenty minute telephone conversation directly with the folks at Yellowstone. We were told in no uncertain terms (and this is on the website) that it was a “combined” measurement, unhooked rigs were not considered and that it was strictly enforced. I wonder if this is a new policy (or newly enforced) or just some “by the book” newbie we happened to get on the phone. Heck even the website shows trailers parked there larger than ours. I’m curious if any has been there recently and what they experienced.
H
Just another reason to stay at Teton NP Gros Ventre campground
Plenty of spaces for bigger outfits and a lot less crowded. Still accessible to Yellowstone too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1547.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	21783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Guyeser Sunset (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	21784  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #10
Wyldfire

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/wher...mp-eat/rv-tips
Old 05-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by major bumm View Post
We have extremely fond memories of staying in a "nothing" campground on the Madison River in Ennis/Cameron MT while visiting Yellowstone. Bare utilities, six tight slots (rarely filled), mostly a cabin business. But the mighty Madison thunders practically under your rear bumper 20' down, and you wake up to fresh elk scat each crisp morning (to clarify, we all enjoy such things, especially our water-dog retrievers). The bathhouse was a gorgeous modern log building, and the steakhouse on the next lot was to die for. We watched a serious cattle drive take place across the river one morning. The place does a huge business with anglers, though we don't share that interest.

20 years later, both the cabins and the steakhouse are still in business. If we ever find ourselves revisiting Yellowstone, you can bet we'll be checking in.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #12
KCSA75

As long as you can get the camper and TV into the campsite without blocking the road you'll be fine. We were there in 2015 and saw a guy at Madison with a huge fiver towed by a Freightliner tractor.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #13
RCW

You might try Headwaters campground in the Teton NP it has full hook ups and is just outside the south gate of Yellowstone.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #14
scottz

Well, there it is (thanks for the link WYLDFIRE):

Fishing Bridge - RVs up to 40 feet or less and a towed/towing vehicle of 25-feet or less. No tents. All sites are double vehicle width wide. No picnic tables or fire grates.

Bridge Bay - RV + Vehicle up to 40 feet or less and a tent. No hookups.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #15
Wyldfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Well, there it is (thanks for the link WYLDFIRE):

Fishing Bridge - RVs up to 40 feet or less and a towed/towing vehicle of 25-feet or less. No tents. All sites are double vehicle width wide. No picnic tables or fire grates.

Bridge Bay - RV + Vehicle up to 40 feet or less and a tent. No hookups.
I think with Fishing Bridge being closed for 2019 that they are enforcing rules more than the past.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
I think with Fishing Bridge being closed for 2019 that they are enforcing rules more than the past.
That was my point as well. Fishing Bridge has a 65' limit, all the other campgrounds have a 40' limit (with a few "by site" exceptions). Dumping the 325+ camping units that are typically longer than 40' combined length in the campgrounds that are not equipped to handle the length will create hazards and blocked roads (typically because "me people" won't park in the overflow parking area). So to prevent issues, "Yellowstone Management" is enforcing the rules, something they have more or less ignored in the past.

It's "manageable" to overlook one or two oversized RV's in a campground, not so easy to do when an extra 300+ oversized RV's are in the campgrounds and their tow vehicles are parked in the road. Most campground "overflow parking lots" can handle 8 or 10 tow vehicles, with 11 other campgrounds, that's less than 100 "overflow parking spaces" to handle 300+ tow vehicles. The numbers don't add up to a manageable solution, so "enforce existing rules" to prevent chaos in the campground......

To the OP: Have you considered Mammoth Campground? It doesn't have reservations, but does have a 65' limit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Yellowstone's Edge is a great campground located between Livingston and the west entrance. Beautiful place on the Yellowstone River in Paradise Valley. You wont be disappointed.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #18
Steve/

I am guessing, but due to the way Yellowstone does site selection, they just lump anything over 40 ft as 40 feet. (you can not selected a site number in advance). so as not to screw up their system, they just say nothing over 40 is the rule. When you show up, they do not know if they will have a 40 foot or a 50+ ft site. I know we were at Bridge Bay a year ago last spring. We have a 24 ft trailer and a 16 foot 4runner, it was a pull through site and we had room to park in front and behind the trailer so the site had to be at least 56 Ft long. I saw a truck camper one night trying to park in a site that had a tree at the end of a back-in site that would not work and he got no help from the front office. ( he was hoping to overhang the end of the driveway, he was longer then he said.) he end up finding another camper to switch with him.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #19
Ccmano

Decided to scrap Bridge Bay. Going with friends who’s rig is over 50ft and don’t want to take the chance of getting turned away. Got great spots at Rainbow Point just outside the park, complete with hookups. We’re going in early September, hopefully with the kiddies back in school Yellowstone will be less of a zoo.
H
Old 05-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #20
Blackrock

Last year we stayed at the Rex Hale cg just outside the east entrance. Water and power but no dump station.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/shos...36247&actid=29

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote