Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
ValkCT

Rotted Aluminum Floor Framing

I have a problem and need some expert advice. I will try to be brief and keep this short.

Our unit is an Impact toy hauler travel trailer that we purchased new in spring of 2014. It has never been out in the snow/salt and is stored inside from October to April. We have not hauled anything but bicycles and kayaks.

The back floor was rotted and soft, I thought that I would fall through it. Last year we took it to the dealer for them to inspect this problem, turned out to be a bad experience with both the dealer and Keystone.

Last weekend I ripped up the rubber floor covering, under the couch and found a hole in the top layer of plywood, there were no damage to the rubber top. The bottom layer of 1/8” plywood was completely rotted, wet and like wet cardboard. Sections of the aluminum frame were covered in a wet sand like substance while other sections were covered in what is typical white dust aluminum corrosion. I don’t know why the aluminum framing is corroded, badly corroded to the point that there are even a couple of holes through the material. Any idea what would cause the aluminum to corrode like this? Could water alone do it?

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I’m trying to determine the next steps to repair and open to ideas.

Thanks.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190420_141310.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	21518   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190420_180223.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	21519   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190420_204333.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	21520  
ValkCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Of course it is a problem caused water intrusion. From where? That needs to be found and fixed. Look for a window, wall, roof, door leaking.
Aluminum does corrode, at least in boats. See that alot. It is worse in areas that trap water, like under a floor where few ever look.
As far is repairing, get all rot out, replace the stuff, rebuild the structure failures. Until you find the leak that caused the mess, your problems will be back soon.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
ValkCT

Thanks for the response. I was not thinking that water alone would cause that much corrosion in such a short time. So, far have not been able to determine the water source, will keep looking.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkCT View Post
Thanks for the response. I was not thinking that water alone would cause that much corrosion in such a short time. So, far have not been able to determine the water source, will keep looking.
It may depend on where the water came from. The water we have here in W TX will eat aluminum pretty quickly - it's high in I suppose everything, so we RO anything we use at the house. The water for the house in the mountains (spring fed) doesn't do much of anything to aluminum. Maybe that would be part of the answer?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
roadglide

I don't get how that could happen being stored inside 8 month . I have idea its coming in at the top of the garage door but it would have to go up past the dove tail .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:49 AM   #6
ValkCT

Thanks for the reply's ... walls and roof all look great and like they have never experienced any water. The back door and back floor section also look dry and like they have never seen water. Currently, I am thinking that the water entered the floor during fabrication, possibly before final assembly since there was a hole in the top layer of laminate that was under the fold down couch and under the rubber floor - the rubber floor showed no signs of damage or indication that something fell on it that would have caused this hole in the wood floor - just a theory. This weekend we will take the hose and spray up in the wheel wells and every where else in search of where the water is getting into the floor.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:42 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkCT View Post
Thanks for the reply's ... walls and roof all look great and like they have never experienced any water. The back door and back floor section also look dry and like they have never seen water. Currently, I am thinking that the water entered the floor during fabrication, possibly before final assembly since there was a hole in the top layer of laminate that was under the fold down couch and under the rubber floor - the rubber floor showed no signs of damage or indication that something fell on it that would have caused this hole in the wood floor - just a theory. This weekend we will take the hose and spray up in the wheel wells and every where else in search of where the water is getting into the floor.
I'm not going to go as far as saying "impossible" but keep in mind that all the "foam laminated structures" are built on jigs that are located inside the manufacturing building and all the assembly lines are also located inside. The actual floor is not installed until after the trailer is in the 3rd position on the line, well inside the entry door where the chassis is rolled in from the outside storage area (upside down/without axles/wheels). I don't know how there could be water introduced into the manufacturing line in a quantity large enough to cause that kind of damage. I can understand a spilled bottle of water, a coke or something of that size, but not "gallons of water" spilled on the assembly line or in the fabricating section where the laminated components are built.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
ValkCT

Thanks John, it’s good to know that this was a bogus theory with no merit. I don’t have knowledge of the material flow during fabrication and appreciate you pointing out that the floors are built and kept in the same building as assembly. This information also supports the idea that I need to keep searching for the water source.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
Ken / Claudia

Water intrusion, On my 2001 f350 I had a 1/8 dia. screw I left out overnight on the roof/windshield visor. It rained overnight. Next morning carpet was soaked. Unknown how much water I am guessing at several gal.s

I did a test on my boat last month. I left it level in the driveway, 5 days and about 3 inches of rain. I measured 13 gal. of water as it came out while the bow was tipped up. The boat was covered, the only place water entered was 2 holes for wiring in the bow about 1/2 inch each.
Small leaks are a big problem.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #10
Jerry S

A lot of water can enter a very small hole in a short period of time. We bought a 2017 Springdale brand new. Second time out it poured down rain during the night, next morning we had a river of water running across the counters and across the floor even had water running out of the GFI by the kitchen sink. turns out that in manufacturing when they installed the awning a screw hole was mi-drilled and had to be re drilled in the correct position. They apparently forgot to seal the screw hole in the side of the trailer and during the pouring down rain enough rain got through that little screw hole to cause tremendous damage to our brand new Springdale. Keystone did fix it and had to repair the entire side where water had penetrated. We never trusted the repair or that they had properly dried out the interior walls and figured there would be problems later on from rot inside of the wall on the wood structure. Long story short they got the trailer back. I sure hope they told the next buyer about the problem with it.
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #11
cenders

I've had leaks before

Best way to find a leak, now that you have the floor ripped wide open is to have someone use a garden hose and a spray nozzle to stand outside and spray the trailer. First spray all over in a wide pattern to see if after 10-15 minutes you see water inside the trailer. If yes, then narrow the nozzle to see if you can more easily locate the point of entry.

It might not be where you think it is... water "runs" quite well before it settles/collects in a low spot (ie: your floor).

Start on top (ie: simulate rain from the sky), and eventually make your way under the trailer as if you are driving on wet roads (spraying up under the wheel wells like water coming off the tires).
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
CampNBrew2

I would rather use a "blower door" test to pressurize the RV and search for air coming out (Use car wash soap mix and look for bubbles), than searching for more damaging water coming in.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:11 AM   #13
Dbarr

Might want to hook up to water and see if you have a leak in your system that flowed through and filled the lowest area. I’m surprised you never noticed water dripping for days after use or rain.
Years camping....54
Dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor