Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Str8shooter

Lost the whole freakin' escape window!

That's right - on the final leg of our Zion National Park, Grand Canyon and Sedona Arizona trip in May we stop for diesel and. . .the entire escape window in our 2011 Raptor 300MP was gone. Only the piano hinge at the top of the window frame was left. The day/night shade was sucked out also. Geez, that sure put a damper on the last two hours of our drive home and an otherwise wonderful vacation.

A word of advice; put a large rubber band, velco strap or whatever works around the push lever and plastic lever holder when traveling to keep that thing in place. The lever was soundly set in the plastic holder when we left that morning. I'm pretty much a detail guy and that lever was where right where it was suppose to be when we left the RV park. The second worst part however, was Keystones refusal to replace it under the warranty. It was, as they stated after all, an "incidental item" and not covered under warranty. I didn't think it was so incidental! Just trying to speak with Keystone and get them to return my calls was a huge frustration. Hey, they got what they wanted - another unit sold.

I can't say with any certainty any other RV manufacturer would have handled it differently.

Still livin' and learnin'. Hey, I'll make it right with my $$'s and next RV purchase.

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Rock7

My picture window in slideout 08 Cougar fell out on I-15 in Salt Lake City, The factory in Pendleton Or. Would not sell one to a dealer to replace it.
Dealer was in Pendleton also.
Rock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Str8shooter

Gutless Keystone. . .finally called me today

It was mid August when I posted about the loss of our escape window during a long trip last May.

It has taken all this time for Keystone to finally call me to say they would not cover the cost of the lost window and shade - $327.

I originally received their decision through their receptionist. I requested to speak with the person who made the decision yet no one would ever call me back. Unhappy with their original response I complained to my dealer, Stier's RV, who encouraged me to keep speaking with Keystone. Right, that does not work very well when they won't return your calls. My dealer seemed to side with me that Keystone should cover the cost so I asked them to go to bat on my behalf. Turns out Stier's carried no weight with Keystone so once again I was told they would not cover my "incidental" loss.

BEWARE - you are not a customer of Keystone, you only respresent a "unit" sold.

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
rjsurfer

As a warning to others, this is a very common problem, that latching system using that lever arm is junk.

Many other manufactures use the very same window and have the same issue.

Good luck with Keystone on the replacement.

Tape it down....

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #5
mikell

We sold our old 99 Terry it had that kind of escape at the head of the bed I loved it for the ventilation. The people who bought it stayed in it 2 nights while the paperwork went through then hit the road. That evening they called to say the window fell out and I didn't warn then that it might happen.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
jeddar

Just so as I understand on my escape windows (2) in my 2010 Bullet 294BHS. I need to tie or rubberband the opening handle to the hook it latches to when closed??? This will prevent the window from falling out? Thanks for any replies to clarify for me.
jeddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
rjsurfer

If your window is like mine that's all you need to do. Now, if memory serves me correct my camper has a swing arm with red plastic tip that latches above or below a metal arm ( I forget).

What happens is that arm doesn't latch very well so when your travelling down the road it unlatches causing the window to swing open, after if your going fast enough the window will rip off it's hinges.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote