Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 AM   #21
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As for Turbo cooldown, it's always been explained to me that as exhaust gasses flow through the turbo, it heats up. If you are towing and pull into a rest area, etc and shut the engine down, the turbo will "heat soak" which can "coke the oil in the bearings". This is the way Ford addresses it in the Diesel supplement manual:

"SWITCHING OFF THE ENGINE
Turn the ignition to the off position.
To prolong engine life (especially after
extended high speed, high ambient
temperature, or high GVW/GCW operation,
such as heavy loads or heavy trailers), it is
recommended that a hot engine be idled
for 3-5 minutes. This allows the
turbocharged engine to cool down. For
more information on GVW/GCW, see the
Load Carrying chapter in your Owner’s
Manual."

I can't say it's "right or wrong" but I always, ALWAYS let my engine idle for at least 5 minutes when I pull into a stop while towing. If I'm not towing and "driving hard" (High speed, hot weather, etc) I let the truck idle for a couple minutes before shutting it down. I seldom shut the truck off while refueling. Ford has an optional "shut down idle feature" that will allow you to remove the keys, lock the vehicle and it will continue to idle for a period of time and then automatically shut off. Not sure if GM or RAM has this feature or not. I do not have it on my truck and when I asked, it's a computer programmed item but not available as an aftermarket addition. In other words, my dealer couldn't add it to my truck.
Well on our 2001 I installed a pre-turbo EGT gauge I will miss in our 2016, but usually after hard pull it would take several minutes for the temp to drop down to about 300 degrees.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Thanks for this - had never considered it. My Mazda CX-9 also has a turbo but I have always treated it like a normal car in terms of start/stop when I get somewhere. Does the engine recirculate the oil that goes through the turbo bearings or are they sealed? Even at idle, the engine is putting out exhaust which will spin the turbo - so is the goal to just let it slow down some before shutting off?

If it matters, watching 2 trips to Home Depot and back over the last couple days, RPMs barely got over 2000 and if they did it was for maybe 5 seconds. Most of the time I was hanging around 1200-1800 RPM ranging from starting from a stop at a light to 65 MPH on freeway. Based on that, I would be inclined to think that the turbo is not spooling up too high? There is so much torque I never need high RPMs and lower gears
I know this has been answered previously but the example I gave of pulling into a rest stop after driving highway speeds and stopping and shutting down doesn't equate to "around town" driving. I would guess your trips to HD were not located on the side of the interstate. As previously pointed out driving down the side street, pulling into the parking lot, etc. accomplish the same results as idling for a min. or two. Turbos can spin at upwards of 100,000 rpm. They are powered by the extremely hot (while under load) of the exhaust. The bearing are lubricated and cooled by the engine oil. So, shutting the engine down while these surfaces are very hot can cause the thin film of oil to varnish over. The bearing surfaces of the turbo shaft will score with no oil flow. Some "high end" engines have an electric oil pump and a built in timer to keep the oil circulating for a set time or temperature after shutting the key off. There are kits you can add as well but most folks just let it idle for a few min.
I'd urge as I stated to do some reading, i.e. research. There are tomes written on this site, diesel truck forums, as well as other sites online that can be found with a simple search. You've made a huge investment (at least to the average person's budget thinking) in your new truck it only makes sense to do everything possible to protect it but that choice is yours.
Enjoy your new found joy and take some time during the cold months ahead to snuggle in and do some reading.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #23
gearhead

All good advise.
I would add that whenever you have your service done, dealer or wherever, to not just go to the waiting room and watch TV or play on your phone. Watch what they are doing. I stand back out of the way but where I can see. I buy my own filters and oil (Rotella Synthetic T6 5W-40). My RAM dealer only charges $10 labor for the oil/filter change. My previous Ford dealer almost filled my truck with their bulk oil instead of what I gave them. Good try.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #24
notanlines

I might have to back off on bringing my own parts to a service department. I don’t bring eggs and bacon to my diner either....��
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #25
gearhead

I have low expectations of most dealerships. The dealer I was referring to is my small hometown Ford dealer. First time I was there for service they wanted to put 10-30 dinosaur oil in it. No, put the Motorcraft synthetic in it..."uh we don't stock that". What are you putting in these cowboy's trucks hauling a gooseneck full of bulls to the sale barn? "10-30". Have you read the manual about what oil to use when towing? "uh uh"
I'll be back with my own oil. Then the idiot took the gallon jugs off of the floorboard and set them on the seat. Left a ring of oil on the seat cushion. Then grabbed the bulk oil hose and was about to use it when I fly out to the shop. I don't know what he planned to do with my oil. Put it in his truck I guess.
RAM dealer OK so far. But I don't turn my back on them.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Another good "rule of thumb" IMHO - find a dealer that works on a lot of diesel trucks if you can. I'm fortunate to have a very large Ford dealer less than 15 miles away that has a truck service dept. They service state and county emergency equipment and always have several diesel F 250 and up construction trucks, delivery trucks, etc. setting in the back waiting for service. Point is, it's a good idea to take a good look around and ask questions in your service dept as to how many diesel mechanics they have etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #27
roadglide

The L5P is very easy to service . The fuel filter is right behind the drivers passenger rear door it can be change out in 5 minutes it's paper filter in a black canister to prime the filter, just turn the key on and you will hear the fuel pump run. I carry a spare just in case I need it. My L5P got better as I broke it in towing .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #28
bobbecky

DEF is used to work with the SCR catalytic converter and this system lowers the NOX emissions. The DPF collects diesel soot, and on the GM Duramax, there is a diesel injector the adds fuel into the exhaust stream ahead of the DPF which raises the temperature and burns off the harmful soot. That function requires the truck to be run long enough to build up temps and hard enough to burn off the soot. When this happens, there will be a grey cloud of smoke, not black, that comes out the exhaust, and this is perfectly normal and is necessary to keep the DPF healthy. The best way to keep your diesel truck healthy is 'drive it like you stole it'. They are made to work hard and short distance low speed commuting is really not good for them.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:52 PM   #29
cookinwitdiesel

Today the truck got a good 60+30 minutes of drive time and tomorrow will see some good freeway driving as well as a trip to home depot to pick up about 1500 lbs of flooring, that should help it work out some stuff
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #30
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Also, as the truck is new and still "breaking in" should I get an oil change after the first 1k miles or anything of that sort? I know that the early oil in an engine picks up a lot of mess and metal shavings as everything smooths out.
Ford recommends to not change the oil until it has 5000 miles on it. The mess and metal shavings is a carry over from the 60s-80s and not so pertinent to modern engines. Your Ford came with a Diesel Supplement that tells you what you need to know. Some claim to drain the water separator at very short intervals. Even at 6 months, I have never seen water and I drain into a glass jar.
As for diesel fuel, California is the only state that demands it be up to European standards, and eastern Texas demands better than US standards. For me, I like to use a top quality fuel additive which is Opti-Lube Summer Plus to boost lubricity and cetane, fuel stability and water separation. The US standards are actually below the diesel engine manufacturer standards for lubricity and the manufacturers came out with a Top Tier diesel standard in 2017 that is being slowly implemented by a few suppliers. https://www.toptiergas.com/diesel-licensed-brands/
Old 01-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #31
bsmith0404

I personally don’t see an issue with your maintenance plan. My concern outside of fuel quality is the DEF. def goes bad, your DEF will last you about 5k miles, but it’s not good for a year. I’d try to run what you have out in the next few months and then only add about a gallon at a time with your limited use.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #32
goodellj

Our diesel truck and 5th wheel have opened several areas of new knowledge for me. I found that most of what I knew about tires only applied to automobile tires and I had a lot to learn about trailer tires.

The diesel truck is similar since there is a big difference between a gas engine and a diesel. My advice is to read the service manual and follow their instructions on oil, oil filters, and fuel filters. Also fluids like transmission and coolant. I have generally used mileage as my guide for the intervals between service, and not time. Many people use fuel additives and talk about them like they were holy water, and I do use them but only when we are between trips and a tank of fuel is going to mostly sit for a month or more. Moisture is deadly to diesel engines and will not mix, unlike most commercial gasolines with alcohol.

Good luck and safe travels.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #33
hdrolling

I also have an '18 Duramax, your good to wait until your DIC says it's time to change your oil. You'll also get a message from onstar via email, not every truck is worked the same so not every truck needs to change it's fluids at the same mileage.

On the L5P engine GM recommends not using additives like the previous years engines.

As far a the DEF fluid, I wouldn't worry about going bad in your truck just don't store old DEF in your garage and try to use it after it's been open a year later.

Dealerships have loads of truck that don't sell for a year or more that might never get driven and I'm sure when they do sell them they don't drain the DEF and fill it with new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5097.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	19877  

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #34
bsmith0404

They say Def is good for up to two years, I just wouldn’t recommend letting it get old. No reason to fill it if it’s going to last a year. Use smaller quantities and keep it fresh
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #35
larryflew

I'm with the rest. Good filters as recommended by your guages, not the dealer selling you extra oil changes and put some miles on it when you drive it. If you are in cold country and filling late in the year put the winter grade in early. Few years ago we decided not to leave MN until December. Our October summer fill jelled up b4 we left. NOT CHEAP REPAIR for simple fix.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #36
KeithBook

Five years ago, I bought a 2007 F350 Turbodiesel with 203,000 miles on it and in need of lots of loving care. What I learned is that it is common for owners that use the diesels in their business to defer maintenance until the truck does not run. I have spent lots of time at the independent diesel mechanic shop as he rebuilt my truck.

If you take care of it on a regular basis, it will last and be reasonable in maintenance. The diesel trucks can last 300 to 700,000 miles with proper maintenance. With towing, you likely won't come close to that in a gas powered truck. ( I am definitely NOT a mechanic)

Only use the oil filters recommended by the truck manufacturer. I have seen engines needing $10,000 of repairs by a bargain filter.

I will say that having a good diesel mechanic is very important.

My thinking is that we should be using hours on the engine instead of mileage.

Enjoy your truck and trips.
KeithBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #37
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBook View Post
Five years ago, I bought a 2007 F350 Turbodiesel with 203,000 miles on it and in need of lots of loving care. What I learned is that it is common for owners that use the diesels in their business to defer maintenance until the truck does not run. I have spent lots of time at the independent diesel mechanic shop as he rebuilt my truck.

If you take care of it on a regular basis, it will last and be reasonable in maintenance. The diesel trucks can last 300 to 700,000 miles with proper maintenance. With towing, you likely won't come close to that in a gas powered truck. ( I am definitely NOT a mechanic)

Only use the oil filters recommended by the truck manufacturer. I have seen engines needing $10,000 of repairs by a bargain filter.

I will say that having a good diesel mechanic is very important.

My thinking is that we should be using hours on the engine instead of mileage.

Enjoy your truck and trips.
Not sure what diesel you had in your '07, if it was the 6.0, that had to have been the biggest POS ever mounted under a hood!!!
My son had an Excursion with that worthless hunk of iron & every time they scheduled a trip out of town they'd make it just out of the city limits before head gaskets (3 or 4 times after the ARP bolt upgrade), turbo, injectors or all the above would give up & strand them. Finally called the bank & said "I can repair it or pay for it but can't do both any longer, so come haul it off, but bring a trailer because it doesn't run, parked in the driveway with the keys in it!".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #38
KeithBook

Reply to travelin texans comment

What I understand about fords 6.0 turbodiesel from 2007 is the original factory configuration had lots of problems. The one I got had had the “bullitproof” upgrades put in. Most of the problems i had were not engine related. Most were things needing repair from lack of maintenance including wheel bearings, brakes, worn out interior, air conditioning compressor.
KeithBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #39
labman

I have only owned a diesel about 2 years. bought my 6.7 powerstroke with 75K miles on it. I just got to 105K miles on my way to the SW us for some fun in the sun and climbing a long but not too steep grade the truck lost power. I made it to the top and it died. Towed to a ford dealer, we thought it was an electrical issue until the mech couldn't turn the engine. He pulled the pan and metal fragments all over. What you call a catastrophic failure. I have been in a motel for 5 nights and the truck at this time has the cab pulled and the engine being replaced. I thought these things would go 300 to 500K miles. this is going to put a dent in the savings...…...
Old 01-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #40
labman

The grass may have stopped growing and the rivers may have stopped flowing....for me anyway