Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
xrated

I Just Bought a New Camera......

And it has four motors and a battery attached to it. Here is a link to what I shot with it this evening.....

https://youtu.be/Hor9so0blpc

We are looking forward to taking it with us when we go camping next year and making so photo/video memories of people and places that we've been. I'm totally new at this, and have a lot to learn, but looking to take it slow and easy.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Vern, you fly like a pro! I have a micro drone and it's fairly hard to fly. Love the camera, you'll have to send the particulars on it.

By the way, if we were together in a crowd, we look enough alike to confuse people. Have a great rest of the week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I've been a person that didn't like drones because I've only seen them used in intrusive ways. I had watched a couple of videos where it looked like they could be fun and now this one. I'm a person that's pretty hard headed once I make up my mind but that looks pretty fun - and I can envision other uses (for fun) without intruding on other folks. Thanks for the video - looks like a lot of fun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:39 AM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Vern, you fly like a pro! I have a micro drone and it's fairly hard to fly. Love the camera, you'll have to send the particulars on it.

By the way, if we were together in a crowd, we look enough alike to confuse people. Have a great rest of the week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Chip, you have my deepest condolences!

As far as the quad goes, I had thought about buying one 2 or 3 years ago and was back and forth, back and forth and finally decided against it. At that time, the prices, for a pretty decent one were in the $700 to $1000 and I just couldn't see it. So fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and my Brother-in-law and his wife came to spend a few days with us over the Thanksgiving weekend. Ronnie brought his drone with them and I got a chance to fly it several times (very cautiously I might add) and the wheels started spinning again. So I decided to just check them out again.....couldn't hurt anything could it? I read a bunch of reviews on different models and was simply amazed at how much the price had come down in 2-3 years AND how much technology they had. They are incredibly "smart" with GPS tracking, return to home, follow me mode, pre-flight programming, etc. So one of the names that kept coming up was the Parrot brand and the model is the Bebop 2.....which is the one that I ended up buying. There are two different controllers available and I opted for the original one, which is quite large, but, it has room enough to attach a tablet on it for a flight monitor, which I thought might be better for a set of old eyes. The flight software has improved a lot too. The current version from parrot allows for a "camera mode" which slows down most of the flight functions and allows for very smooth control of the BB2. Then there is the "Sport mode", which basically turns it into a fighter jet as far as performance and handling.......you know, turn on a dime and have 9 cents change. Each one of the modes have the ability to set individual functions and the rate of change that they perform. I have played with the control a bit in the camera mode, but haven't had the nerve to even try to fly it in sport mode yet. Top speed is around 40 mph and when you consider that it is approx. 12" x 12" x 4", that little piece of plastic and motors and battery is sailing along pretty quick. I've flown it about 4 or 5 times (about 22-23 minutes per battery charge) and yesterday was the first video that I have shot with it, as I've been trying to concentrate on learning to fly well enough to NOT crash it and not be distracted with shooting video while flying. So anyway, after Ronnie left on Sunday, I started looking pretty seriously for a BB2 and found a Parrot store on ebay that was selling the exact package that I was looking for and everything was new, not refurbished and the price point was stunningly low....so the rest is history.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:54 AM   #5
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've been a person that didn't like drones because I've only seen them used in intrusive ways. I had watched a couple of videos where it looked like they could be fun and now this one. I'm a person that's pretty hard headed once I make up my mind but that looks pretty fun - and I can envision other uses (for fun) without intruding on other folks. Thanks for the video - looks like a lot of fun.
Danny......I understand your feelings. I relate it to one of my other passions.....motorcycles. All it takes is a few idiots on a motorcycle, acting foolishly on public roads to give a bad perception of motorcycling in general. That same thing applies to drones. I was kind of surprised at just how easy it was to learn to fly, but having said that, I've still got a LOT to learn, which will take a lot of "seat time" at the controls to develop my skills.....just like riding a motorcycle on the race track.....no substitute for experience. The biggest key for me in learning to control it and learn to put it where I wanted it to go is to orient yourself in such a way as to imagine that you are the pilot and sitting in the cockpit. If you want to go left, push the stick to the left...and vice versa. If you just try to look at the drone when flying it and you are turned and it's heading back towards where you are standing, the flight control movements are exactly opposite of when you were flying it away from you. So, you just imagine that you are in the cockpit and fly it where you want to go......just like driving a car.

I'm looking to have a lot of fun with it, take some great aerial shots during out camping trips and probably even when we go hiking.....depending on whether or not they are allowed at where we are. I know that they are strictly forbidden in ALL National Parks and my guess is that some campgrounds may not allow them either. The wise thing to do is to speak to the management BEFORE trying to fly one at a CG and discuss what you plan to do and where you would be flying it (away from others and their rigs of course).

Old 12-05-2017, 03:44 AM   #6
JimQ

Very cool! Nice job flying and nice compound!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:02 AM   #7
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
Very cool! Nice job flying and nice compound!
Thank you. I'm pretty happy with our setup.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #8
TheGriz

Hey Vern...have a great time with your new toy...ohhh...I mean that sophisticated photographic equipment!!! I love my Phantom and use it regularly. You will find endless ways to enjoy it and share your memories.

Here is a quick video I took of our Ham Radio Field Day this past June. My fellow hams enjoyed it as well!

https://youtu.be/W2unXgpi_xU

Regards,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
MattHelm21

I had to try one of these myself. YouTube lowered the resolution a bit but here is one of mine:

https://youtu.be/xbGB2v_pUw8

I agree. They get a bad repution when used inappropriately but for the hobbiest, they offer unique opportunities. For example, I have used mine to inspect my roof after a wind storm.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Danny......I understand your feelings. I relate it to one of my other passions.....motorcycles. All it takes is a few idiots on a motorcycle, acting foolishly on public roads to give a bad perception of motorcycling in general. That same thing applies to drones. I was kind of surprised at just how easy it was to learn to fly, but having said that, I've still got a LOT to learn, which will take a lot of "seat time" at the controls to develop my skills.....just like riding a motorcycle on the race track.....no substitute for experience. The biggest key for me in learning to control it and learn to put it where I wanted it to go is to orient yourself in such a way as to imagine that you are the pilot and sitting in the cockpit. If you want to go left, push the stick to the left...and vice versa. If you just try to look at the drone when flying it and you are turned and it's heading back towards where you are standing, the flight control movements are exactly opposite of when you were flying it away from you. So, you just imagine that you are in the cockpit and fly it where you want to go......just like driving a car.

I'm looking to have a lot of fun with it, take some great aerial shots during out camping trips and probably even when we go hiking.....depending on whether or not they are allowed at where we are. I know that they are strictly forbidden in ALL National Parks and my guess is that some campgrounds may not allow them either. The wise thing to do is to speak to the management BEFORE trying to fly one at a CG and discuss what you plan to do and where you would be flying it (away from others and their rigs of course).
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these....just to try it out. In the past the ones I looked at, thinking that it had to cost a pretty penny, were 1k or more. Yours looks like it does "stuff" and doesn't cost that much. Looks like I can pick one up at a reasonable price. Where we are at here in FL I have to look at everything from the side. It would be pretty cool to have a bird's eye view of these beautiful bays, marshes and lakes. Thanks again for opening these "hard headed" eyes.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #11
xrated

You're Welcome. I hope, if you "pull the trigger", that the experience is everything you had hoped it would be.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:06 AM   #12
notanlines

Vernon, I put these kinds of toys in the "play-pretty" category. They would be fun for me for about 2 hours and then I would put it in the box and I would go on to my next activity. What I want (and my wife wants most) is for you to box that back up and Priority Mail it to me in Florida. I'll fly it for about two hours and then I'll send it on to Danny in Tallahassee, he'll send it on to Chip in Kansas City. He can fly it and send it on to John and ........well, if after about six of us send you a quick hundred for the experience you have a slightly beaten relatively new "play-pretty" and we can all go back to our normal lives.....
Anyone want to use my almost brand new GoPro? It's amazing how my mind works.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #13
B-O-B'03

Very nice, Vern.

I am another in the "drones are not going to end civilization" camp, my son and I both own Mavics.

I like to take mine camping, it has a 15 MP still/4K video camera in it and it takes great shots, my son shot this, when were in Colorado last May.

Drone Video

They are amazingly easy to fly and fold up to the size of a water bottle.

Congratulations on your new camera, post lots of stuff from it

-Brian
Old 12-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #14
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Very nice, Vern.

I am another in the "drones are not going to end civilization" camp, my son and I both own Mavics.

I like to take mine camping, it has a 15 MP still/4K video camera in it and it takes great shots, my son shot this, when were in Colorado last May.

Drone Video

-Brian
Brian...absolutely stunning videography, and even better video editting!!!

What editing software do you use? You have inspired me to raise my videos to new heights!!! Pun intended!!

Regards,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #15
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Vernon, I put these kinds of toys in the "play-pretty" category. They would be fun for me for about 2 hours and then I would put it in the box and I would go on to my next activity. What I want (and my wife wants most) is for you to box that back up and Priority Mail it to me in Florida. I'll fly it for about two hours and then I'll send it on to Danny in Tallahassee, he'll send it on to Chip in Kansas City. He can fly it and send it on to John and ........well, if after about six of us send you a quick hundred for the experience you have a slightly beaten relatively new "play-pretty" and we can all go back to our normal lives.....
Anyone want to use my almost brand new GoPro? It's amazing how my mind works.
How could anyone turn down such a generous offer? As they say...."The check is in the mail!"

Old 12-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #16
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Brian...absolutely stunning videography, and even better video editting!!!

What editing software do you use? You have inspired me to raise my videos to new heights!!! Pun intended!!

Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike,

My son did all that, I believe he used some apple editing software on his phone.

He uses his iphone as a controller and I have a galaxie for mine.

My videos, to-date, have not been worth showing

He is a bit more talented than his old man at this point.

-Brian
Old 12-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #17
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Very nice, Vern.

Drone Video

-Brian
Brian,
I gave a bit of thought about the Mavic, especially because of the ability to fold it up. That would be awesome when hiking. Then I decided that since this was going to be my first ever done I would get a less expensive one until......
1. I learned to fly them with a certain level of confidence.
2. See if it was something I/we really enjoyed.

Keep in mind, the only time in my life that I had ever flown one was the weekend before, when I flew my brother-in-law's Phantom just a bit. There be another one in my future????, but to be honest, the Bebop 2, especially when put in "sport mode" looks like it could be an extremely fast and agile flyer. Of course it goes without saying.....I ain't there yet!

Very nice video too. How old is your son?

Old 12-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #18
ADQ K9

I would really like one when I can justify it, cost wise. These things are great. The industrial commerical application is limit less Insurance companies for survey of flooded/ impassable areas after a hurricane,tornado. etc. Industrial survey and inspection search and sescue the list goes on and on. Might be a good business to get into. Just my 2 cents,
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #19
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Brian,
I gave a bit of thought about the Mavic, especially because of the ability to fold it up. That would be awesome when hiking. Then I decided that since this was going to be my first ever done I would get a less expensive one until......
1. I learned to fly them with a certain level of confidence.
2. See if it was something I/we really enjoyed.

Keep in mind, the only time in my life that I had ever flown one was the weekend before, when I flew my brother-in-law's Phantom just a bit. There be another one in my future????, but to be honest, the Bebop 2, especially when put in "sport mode" looks like it could be an extremely fast and agile flyer. Of course it goes without saying.....I ain't there yet!

Very nice video too. How old is your son?
Hi Vern,

My friend has a phantom 4, so I understand the lure there, his started me down the path for a "real" drone, but I did not want to spend the 3K+ that he did.

I have a cheaper drone, that the kids gave me for my birthday a few years ago and I gave up on it after a few flights... you really have to "fly" it... the mavic just about flies itself, has a advertised range of 4 miles and a huge list of features comparable to the Phantom, I think I heard it has 14 or so processor cores in it.

My son will be 33 in a few weeks.

Maybe we should start a "show us your drone shots" thread

-Brian
Old 12-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #20
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
I would really like one when I can justify it, cost wise. These things are great. The industrial commerical application is limit less Insurance companies for survey of flooded/ impassable areas after a hurricane,tornado. etc. Industrial survey and inspection search and sescue the list goes on and on. Might be a good business to get into. Just my 2 cents,
I think more FAA certifications are required, for commercial applications, but I agree.

There are realtors around here that have virtual tours of their properties shot using drones, both inside and outside.

I wish I had mine, when the 40 tons of oak tree fell on the house, that would have made some great shots.

-Brian