Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2017, 06:20 AM   #1
schwalbach

2015 Chevy Double Cab Long Bed

Need to figure out how to roof rack and carry 2 kayaks, anyone point me in the right direction? would like rack to be removable when done as 7 foot garage door.

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:30 AM   #2
canesfan

Try the link at the top of page 2 in this thread
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ighlight=canoe
Old 05-07-2017, 06:32 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Here's one option:
http://www.boatloader.com/5thwheel.html

Google cab over boat rack.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:52 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I would guess that you're wanting to carry two kayaks that are light enough to load onto the roof of your truck. Yakima and a number of other companies offer removable roof rack systems that can be adapted to carry kayaks. Some of them have features that can be customized to carry bikes, rooftop boxes and other items. Most are capable of carrying a significant load and are essentially just a "larger version" of the removable racks that are seen on cars every day.

There are a number of sources for racks, some are etrailer.com, Yakima.com and prollineracks.com. Here's one link: http://www.prolineracks.com/base-roo...n-gutters.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
MarkS

Make sure you have sufficient clearance from the kayaks to the front of the 5er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
NorskeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwalbach View Post
Need to figure out how to roof rack and carry 2 kayaks, anyone point me in the right direction? would like rack to be removable when done as 7 foot garage door.
I use the Yakima system. Set up for 2 kayaks (mako saddle - now deck hand saddle). Set up for 3 kayaks (bow downs).

I think I went with the 66 inch bars - they extend past the top of the cab a little. Q Towers are attached the bars. It is not a cheap system but it works great for us.

When I purchased the Kayaks ( Wilderness Pungo 120s) we purchased the Yakima carrying system the same day at the same place (http://www.mountainmanoutdoors.com/). The third kayak (center) is a cheaper kayak from Dicks Sports (Coleman) and 9.5' long.

The bars/q towers are easy to remove and re-install. the Q-towers come off with the bar. I purchased to locks for the Q towers too.

We have the crew cab - long box so there is plenty of room behind the kayaks (easily clear the front of the fifth wheel). For a shorter box - just mount the kayaks more forward.

It is a stable system - we have driven 1400 miles (NY to Detroit Lakes, Minnesota) with the kayaks on top and there were no issues. Strap across the kayaks and straps on the rear of the kayak. The pictures shows front straps but I found they are not needed - even in high winds. The straps come with the towers or bow downs. I think we have used the system for about 8 seasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck and camper Higley.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	12812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayaks.JPG
Views:	723
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	12813   Click image for larger version

Name:	racks.jpg
Views:	131