Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
linux3

Engine Braking

Maybe this isn't the place for this question but...
As you can see I have a 2017 Silverado 1500m Z71. Factory tow package.
I have read the manual about using engine braking when towing. I've read it 4 times and am still scratching my head. I'm a retired engineer and maybe I've been away too long but I just don't understand.

Someone who uses this feature, could you explain?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Is the manual referencing the gas or diesel engine??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Is the manual referencing the gas or diesel engine??
OP stated 1500 must be Gas
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
OP stated 1500 must be Gas

Yes, it would be gas and that's why I asked the question. He said he was reading he manual about engine braking but nothing about engine braking with a gas engine. Didn't know if his manual contained gas only info or for gas and diesel.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

I would imagine the difference is engine braking with a gas engine (down shifting) and exhaust braking with a diesel engine equipped with an exhaust brake. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
Pull Toy

These days it seems that "One size fits all" manuals are common. They're cheaper to produce, but can be confusing, and sometimes have conflicting info.

To the best of my knowledge, the "automatic" engine braking occurs only in diesel engines equipped with "Tow Mode". Kind of like the old "Jake Brakes" on the big rigs. The back pressure of the engine at idle transfers to the drive train causing a braking action when the brakes are tapped. The engine downshifts and causes engine drag.

It won't stop you, but it will slow you down, and takes a bit of the load off of the brake system.

Good Luck!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
Tbos

Engine Braking

Actually in the Silverado gassers there is engine braking. It's accessible through the menus. My 1500 had it and previous Sierra 1500 had it too. Basically when activated it down shifts automatically to use the engine to assist the brakes. If you go to the Silverado forums they can tell the specifics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
kksfish

Yeah its confusing......my 2500 seems to work in tow mode WITH cruise engaged!
kksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

I just downshift mine so I haven't looked into any automatic engine braking... however with the cruise engaged the vehicle knows the speed you want which would make it easier to decide when to brake.

My wife's Edge will downshift automatically while going down a hill with the cruise engaged... in order to maintain speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksfish View Post
Yeah its confusing......my 2500 seems to work in tow mode WITH cruise engaged!
That is the cruise control keeping the idle up high enough maintain some back pressure trying to maintain the set speed. Cruise will help a diesel hold back a little bit down hills. Applying a little throttle will do the same.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
66joej

We have a 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 with the new at the time for Chrysler 8spd. trans. When towing our TT and the trans is in towhaul it will downshift (I never use cruise control when towing). This causes what can be called engine braking. It has the factory tow pkge. with built in brake control. It does slow the rig down. JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #12
Tbos

Engine Braking

In my 2014 Silverado LT CC 5.3 gasser I could disable it through the menu or when it initially activates. It activates when towing and you release the gas or hit the brake to start slowing down. At least that is what it did on mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #13
CrazyCain

When i am in TowHaul mode with my Silverado and start to slow down, it kicks down to a lower gear as i start to slow down to help...

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #14
linux3

Bad choice of terms and I have the 5.3L gas engine.
Kick Down mode vs. Range Selection mode.

So, I'm pulling my TT down a hill. Do I select Range Select to use compression braking or is Kick Down mode doing the same thing?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:29 AM   #15
xcntrk

In the gassers, engine braking is nothing more than transmission downshifting to make better use of engine compression to help slow the rig. Usually this is universally built into the Tow/Haul transmission mode. On acceleration and/or cruise the rig holds the current gear longer to make use of power in the higher RPM's. On deceleration the rig anticipates slowing and downshifts at a quicker rate to slow.

In the diesels it's a whole other story. All that transmission tow/haul stuff still exists and is used, but the turbo diesel motors also use what's called an exhaust brake (not to be confused with compression brake - aka Jake brake). This is feature of the turbo that uses a variable vein system to increase the exhaust pressure by restricting the outward flow through the turbo. The result is nearly identical to compression brake but done so using the exhaust instead. It's an odd feeling to get used to when the exhaust brake on my rig is in full spool running down a hill, I'll register 10+ psi of boost pressure even though I have zero throttle input.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:11 AM   #16
bsmith0404

Everything I can find on the engine braking is just as what has been said, the transmission downshifts and uses the engine compression to maintain speed and reduce brake use. The truck also has a grade braking feature that monitors brake use to calculate brake temps and will do the same things to reduce braking. Basically, with both features, it's the computer monitoring what you are doing and making shift point changes to use the engine to assist with braking to reduce brake temps, saving your brakes and preventing them from overheating, or at least reducing the risk of them overheating.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:24 AM   #17
Desert185

Living near the Sierra Nevada I see brake lights a lot with not much effort to downshift. Downshifting to use engine compression braking makes a big difference in saving your brakes for when you might really need them.

WRT diesel engine brakes, some of us have a Pac Brake style with a butterfly valve mounted on the aft side (exhaust side) of the turbo (EGT increases with actuation). No variable vanes. No increase in boost when using the exhaust brake and no down shifting in conjunction with the actuation of the exhaust brake unless done by the driver (like me with a stick shift). Its a pretty simple system that requires maybe more driver involvement and the option to not have a downshift everytime the exhaust brake is actuated, which might be desired given certain road conditions.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Maybe this isn't the place for this question but...
As you can see I have a 2017 Silverado 1500m Z71. Factory tow package.
I have read the manual about using engine braking when towing. I've read it 4 times and am still scratching my head. I'm a retired engineer and maybe I've been away too long but I just don't understand.

Someone who uses this feature, could you explain?
As has been stated it is designed to down shift the transmission. Before this feature us "old timers" did this manually in mountainous terrain. We recently returned from a lengthy trip and traversed the Allegheny mountains in WV where 10% grades were the norm. The engine braking kept the descent under control with very little need to apply the brakes. The key is NOT to crest the top at a high rate of speed or let your speed creep up on you. It's a lot easier to drop a little speed than a lot. Brakes convert momentum (speed) to heat. Applying hard braking with constant application creates too much heat for the slow speed (and therefore low air movement) to dissipate leading to brake failure and a quick but deadly short cut to the bottom of the hill.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #19
Ken / Claudia

I have a question and post #15 says what I think. But, newer gas trucks may be different than any I have had or drove. There was never engine braking it was the transmission locking out higher gears. For many years this was a aftermarket tranny and as I know mid 2000s trucks from factory started having them. You step on brakes or turn on a switch that locks the transmission into a lower gear. And that prevents the engine from higher rpms. I see now those are in diesels also. So, is there something really different than that.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote