Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
hankaye

Boy ... How do ya say GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Howdy All;

Had an VERY unpleasant surprised when I went to flush out my Black tank with the hose connection provide for that purpose (I have a ... see signature). The last few times I just filled the black tank up with the tank flush as we were still getting temps below 32 at night and I didn't want to pull the insulation out of the cover for the spigot.

Today I was going to do it right!

Dumped the black tank, disassembled the spigot protection, hooked up the backflow preventer, hose then attached the hose to the water inlet for washing out the black tank.
Good so far ..... turned on the water, went to listen to the sounds ..... something didn't sound right ......then I saw water dripping from the basement door !!!!!!!!! HOLY S@#$%*$%(&*#$@^ Batman!
Quickly secured the water, disconnected the hose from the trailer..... opened the Basement door ....... residual water leaking from a compression fitting that was coming down from the connection ... plus water dripping down from the area where the connection is located.
The location of mine is just in front of the slide on the main trailer wall, just below the level of the window in the slide. When I came inside to see where that was ..... it's just below the lower shelf in the entertainment ctr. Opened the door to the left-hand cabinet and located 3 screws that were holding a panel in place.
Removed said panel ... BINGO! I'm looking at the back side of the Wash connection AND the outdoor shower...
Attached to the washout line was some sort of clear plastic (90 deg.), valve of some sort. When I was done moving things out of the basement so all could dry (first sunny day in the last 10 (good timing huh?) I took a closer look at the clear plastic do-thingy. Looked like it was supposed to be some sort of Back-flow preventer and vacuum breaker combination. Apparently when installed it was screwed in so tight that it broke at the arm that goes to the tank.
Thinking that I will probably just use an elbow and connect the 2 bits of Pex together that way. I'll take the check valve out of the attaching connection so that it will drain and the 'fumes' will pass to the exterior instead of into my Entertainment Ctr.
Something that happened to me so I thought I’d let ya’ll know. In case you of you may have the same problem.

Stay dry and enjoy “The end of the world as we know it“… LOL

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
hankaye

Howdy All;

Did a little bit of reasearch, the part is a one-way check valve / vacuum breaker as I origionally thought. Proper name is Lakeview RV Supply Model 1000.
125 psi 110 deg. 1/2".
Did a quick Google and saw where Thor Ind. (our Parent Corp.), uses them in their Airstreams as well. and they have problems too...
Think I'll stick to my orig. idea for the fixin' of this problem...

hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

Did a little bit of reasearch, the part is a one-way check valve / vacuum breaker as I origionally thought. Proper name is Lakeview RV Supply Model 1000.
125 psi 110 deg. 1/2".
Did a quick Google and saw where Thor Ind. (our Parent Corp.), uses them in their Airstreams as well. and they have problems too...
Think I'll stick to my orig. idea for the fixin' of this problem...

hankaye
Sorry to hear of your water problem. I haven't used the black tank flush connection on mine yet. Hope it goes well when I do. Thanks for the heads-up!!
phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Pete and Jeanne

Thinga Doodle

Howdy Hankeye! NOW I know what that wackathingie is. I've got a bullet19FBPR. It also has a black tank flush. The water connection for the flush is on the rear of the TV and feeds into the TV in the back of the bath basin cabinet. In line with the flush connection is a wha?? looking valve of some sort. Before buying I had asked the salesperson what it was...they cheked and no one knew. Actually, we figured the only thing it could be is just what it is. Sorry about the trouble you've had but we'll all try to learn from it. Good Luck..and Travel Well
Pete and Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
hankaye

Pete and Jeanne Howdy;

In ya'lls case I should say "How ya'll are? ehhh???

It IS fun to find something even the "techs" don't know what the he** it is ain't it?

hankaye

Old 05-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
hankaye

Howdy All;

Made my repair today.

Found that Shark-bite is making a pvc edition of some of their fittings. Local hardwaer store had one that I used 1/2"X1/2" for Pex lines. $5.25 +tax.

Took the flush inlet out of the wall, looked to see about the check valve .....
wasn't one. Happy day!!! Didn't have to figure out how to drill it out or find a replacement. Cleaned-up all of the old sealant from around the hole. and wiped off with alcohal and a paper towel.

Cut a length of pex about 4" lond and fitted it to the inlet andmade sure the connection was secure! Poked it back thru the wall, started the 3 screws.
Went inside and cut the pex to length. Slid the fitting on both lengths of Pex.
Gave it a pull test...seemed tight. wrapped a towel around everything so's it wouldn't drip into basement if it did leak.

Hooked up the hose,....... cracked the knob,........... checked for any leaks. So far so good.

Back to the on/off knob...... opened it up full........ still NO LEAKS........
OH HAPPY DAY!!!!!

Secured the water, broke down the hose. Applied some sealant around the edge of the inley cover. Screwed it down, wiped off excess. Went inside, cleaned-up the inside of cabinette, re-attached the false wall. Throw away unuseable scraps ..... Time for lunch.

hankaye

Old 10-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
marckirk

I recently had the exact same problem on the exact same year and model trailer. Although I love it, there have been many quality control issues with this unit. For example, the bathroom hot & cold faucets were reversed. Funny thing is, I'm the second owner! Don't think the original owner used it much. Hope your fix worked ok. I'm going to go ahead and replace the valve.
marckirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
Berick

I just joined a few forums because I had the same problem with my 2012 Outback 298RE and I was looking for resolution of some sort.

I would hook up the black tank flush and turn on the water to flush..... and nothing. The hose would pressure up but nothing was going into the tank. Called the dealers and they all had a "theory" but I finally got to talk to a tech. He said the Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker/Check Valves in these things were garbage. He said I could just order a new one and replace it myself (my model is easy..... in the cabinet right below the bathroom sink) or....... I could just get rid of the damn thing altogether (which is what he recommended and the option I chose to take).

I was worried about backwashing from the black tank into the fresh water supply system but he assured me that the venting on the trailer was excellent and I did not need to worry about over-pressurizing the black tank or getting any puking back out of the black tank flush inlet. I got rid of the check-valve and it has worked flawlessly now for 2 years! It's a heck of a lot easier to winterize now as well..... any water that is left in the black tank flush line drains by gravity into the black tank and I don't need to worry about blowing the line out with air or freeze breaking that crappy valve.

Just another option for any of you trying to cure a similar problem.
Berick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Hank, I'm glad my '07 doesn't have any of that new-fangled stuff. Just poop-n-dump ... been that way for years .... why ruin a good thing???
Glad to hear you got it straightened out, The other Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Bob Landry

That sounds like the same check valve that was on my water heater. Notice that I said was. I pulled the "guts" out of it and replaced a T fitting with a 2-way manual valve for winterizing. I don't know why I spent $12 on the valve, I don't winterize anyway.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
blackty

The first time I used mine, (last year) it leaked. Read on here to remove the stink bug that made it's home in the mechanism. No crap, took the anti-siphon out and there was a stink bug inside. Removed and all was fine. First time this year, it leaked. Didn't bat an eye. Removed valve, plucked the bug out and re-installed. All's good...Jim
Old 07-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
CamperGeoff

Get rid of that Model 1000 junk

Hi I had a similar issue on my 2008 Montana 3075RL. Each time I would flush the black tank I got a whole lot of water dropping into my heater and inverter pan, coming into the camper under the stairs.

I traced the issue to this plastic mushroom anti-siphon/vacuum break. I had to cut a 10x10 inch hole in the back of my entry coat closet, and I found this part broken and leaking. Theory is to keep any back flow from the black tank to create a siphon leading back to the street connection.

Camping World and other local RV repair shops didn't carry this part. I found it was sold only as a kit for around $31.

I just went to Lowes and picked up two PEX elbows with 1/2 inch males, and connected using a brass 1/2 inch check valve.

Voila. No leak, no back flow into the flush connection back out into my water connection.

I was so happy!
CamperGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
tomsjule

Check valve on Balkack water flush

I just found this same issue on my 2011 298RE. Priced this valve and it was $37.50. Debating on what to do with it. If I don't really need the check valve I may try to just connect up without it.
tomsjule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
CamperGeoff

Lowe's Brass Check Valve......

I used 2 PEX elbows and a brass Check Valve. Problem solved. Probably don't even need the check valve, but just in case. It was an inexpensive and easy fix to a messy problem.

~g
San Diego CA
CamperGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #15
mochaperformance

Black tank flush leaking

I am having similar issue. Just got our Fuzion 357 and used it for first time this weekend. Connected black tank flush hose and water started leaking from behind the flange. Then leaking into the adjacent bay and to the right of the water heater. I found small access panel in the hidden pantry. Going to try and flow some water and hope I can see the problem. Stay tuned...
mochaperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochaperformance View Post
I am having similar issue. Just got our Fuzion 357 and used it for first time this weekend. Connected black tank flush hose and water started leaking from behind the flange. Then leaking into the adjacent bay and to the right of the water heater. I found small access panel in the hidden pantry. Going to try and flow some water and hope I can see the problem. Stay tuned...
Before you go to any great lengths I would say your anti siphon valve is installed backwards causing any water pushed into the black tank flusher to stop and the valve and the pressure then spouting water out at the weakest points. Fix it I suspect and you fix your problem.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote