Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2017, 05:03 AM   #21
notanlines

I have a new (used one time to see if it works) Coleman 10-Cup Instastart Portable Propane Coffeemaker. We bought it for our 2 month Alaska trip but always had power. I'll be glad to sell it in the original box, like I said "new" for $50.00 shipping included. PM me.
http://www.realrecreationusa.com/p/C...110950349.html
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #22
ADQ K9

Interesting.. never knew an animal like that existed you must want it gone. I will stick with the stove top Perc
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #23
Craigidyllwild

Nice and Easy

Kureg...both home and on the rig.
Craigidyllwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #24
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I have a new (used one time to see if it works) Coleman 10-Cup Instastart Portable Propane Coffeemaker. We bought it for our 2 month Alaska trip but always had power. I'll be glad to sell it in the original box, like I said "new" for $50.00 shipping included. PM me.
http://www.realrecreationusa.com/p/C...110950349.html
I wish that you lived in my city as I've always wanted one of those.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #25
Mandolin

Nespresso Espresso maker for me (yes, it requires electricity from whatever source), Bialetti when there is no electricity available. Aeropress for the spouse, who still likes a strong cup of regular coffee. I can't drink regular coffee anymore, so I stick with my espresso (espresso is lower in acid and caffeine than coffee, plus a single shot of espresso is much smaller by volume than a cup of coffee).
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #26
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Being from Louisiana, "if it ain't Community, it ain't coffee"... One of the luxuries we've allowed for ourselves is special ordered Community Coffee. We have it shipped to us in 1 pound "bricks", 10 at a time. That usually lasts 4 to 6 months....

When camping with full hookups we use the standard "Mr Coffee" type electric drip coffee maker. When dry camping, we use the Melita Pour Over system. We have two sizes, a single cup cone that we use before the morning fishing trip and a 10 cup cone/carafe that we use for the after fishing trip breakfast coffee. Melita makes several sizes, some with thermal carafes, some with glass, some with only the cone. Essentially, just boil water, pour it over the coffee grounds in the cone and in a couple minutes, you've got a cup or a carafe of piping hot coffee.
We used to do this on the freighters I flew. Worked pretty good.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #27
notanlines

Mandolin, after reading your post I have determined that those in the PNW don't exactly speak the same language as the rest of the country. I'd give an even $20.00 to the charity of your choice to listen to y'all order coffee in Pascagoula, Mississippi. It'd give those folks a story to tell for ages.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #28
Nitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When camping with full hookups we use the standard "Mr Coffee" type electric drip coffee maker. When dry camping, we use the Melita Pour Over system. We have two sizes, a single cup cone that we use before the morning fishing trip and a 10 cup cone/carafe that we use for the after fishing trip breakfast coffee. Melita makes several sizes, some with thermal carafes, some with glass, some with only the cone. Essentially, just boil water, pour it over the coffee grounds in the cone and in a couple minutes, you've got a cup or a carafe of piping hot coffee.
We use this regardless in our trailer now that my espresso machine outgrew it. I consider myself a bit of a coffee snob and this is the best way I've found for my tastes. I usually try and buy a local roast (lots of coffee roasters in Oregon, it's almost as big as beer) and have them grind at the drip consistency. We bought a large carafe to keep it hot. The trick is to let the water cool a few seconds before pouring it over (boiling is actually too hot for coffee brewing) and then let a little bit absorb (it's called blooming) before slowing pouring the rest over.
Nitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitka View Post
We use this regardless in our trailer now that my espresso machine outgrew it. I consider myself a bit of a coffee snob and this is the best way I've found for my tastes. I usually try and buy a local roast (lots of coffee roasters in Oregon, it's almost as big as beer) and have them grind at the drip consistency. We bought a large carafe to keep it hot. The trick is to let the water cool a few seconds before pouring it over (boiling is actually too hot for coffee brewing) and then let a little bit absorb (it's called blooming) before slowing pouring the rest over.

OK, this is a little "out there" for me. Coffee snob? It's just a cup of something to drink....

My daughter is truly a "coffee snob" and goes to great lengths to get coffee from all over the world to grind, press etc. with all of her gadgets. Most taste pretty rough to me although she constantly tells me I'm missing something.

I was raised drinking coffee in a hunting camp. Old percolator sitting on the fire, dump in some coffee, throw in some egg shells (dad) and when done put in a bit of cold water. Sometimes it was great, sometimes it was........, but it was "coffee".

Nowadays I'm happy with an electric drip coffee maker or whatever I have at the moment to make coffee. I'm on the move; I make a cup and drink it while working or doing stuff. I don't sit and "savor" it....my daughter and wife do but for me I just "hit it and get it".

Not knocking anyone that is into coffee. From what I've experienced there IS a big difference in taste between brands, fresh ground, etc. I guess that's just something I don't worry about.....now, if you want to talk about how to cook a good steak, ribs or brisket.......that's something I DO pay attention to Happy coffee drinking to all!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:41 AM   #30
Desert185

We use farm fresh eggs from time to time and they can be "crusty", if you know what I mean. Worth it for the real egg inside, but coffee sans egg shell, por fidor.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:44 AM   #31
Robh

We switched to Chemex much like the Melita unit above. And here is why. We have been basically full timing it for about 2.5 years. But last year when we went back to NY to visit our son we were both sick. Stomach issues. We had lower GI's done and both of us had Colitis. Doctor said not uncommon for travelers who drink local water.

We did drink local water but usually for cooking or coffee. We usually only drink bottled water. This bothered me for quite some time until.....we were visiting our nephew in Florida went I used their Kureg coffee maker, which we also had in the RV. Went to get the cup of coffee and noticed small ants all over the coffee maker. My nephews wife said it only happens when coffee is being made. Wait what...

Started looking on line on how to clean a Kuerig coffee maker and omg, the problems out there is hard to believe. That got me thinking, is that our problem?? So I went out to the RV and took a good look at the coffee maker. Sure enough it was disgusting. I got a strong flash light, took apart what I could and couldn't believe the growth of mass inside that maker. I ended up throwing it out. Less than 3 years old.

I'll stick with our chemex maker, simple and makes great coffee with out any bitterness!! Love it.
Robh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:51 AM   #32
66joej

Not to stick up for Keurig but the one we have flashes on the screen to either change water filter or run cleaning solution to sterilize. I don't work for them or have shares in the company. lol

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:12 AM   #33
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Not to stick up for Keurig but the one we have flashes on the screen to either change water filter or run cleaning solution to sterilize. I don't work for them or have shares in the company. lol
A little maintenance goes a long way. We run white vinegar through our's every couple of months to descale it. Also use a Britta filter when at home to filter the well water (which consistently tests good for cooties and other nefarious elements). On the road, we have a basic Keurig and just use bottled water.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:13 AM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Any heating element that "percolates" a liquid is making steam (or another gas). That "evaporated liquid to gas" leaves behind a certain amount of the solids that are in the water, usually on or in the chamber where the heating element is located. Whether it's the inside of the water heater, the inside of your home coffee maker or the inside of your RV refrigerator, once those solids start to build up, unless they are cleaned, the "deposits" will continue to grow until they can become a significant problem.

Think about scale on the heating element in a water heater, scale on the inside of a steam iron, or scale on the inside of the old "steam radiators" or the "growing gob of gunk" in the heating chamber of a percolator. The formation of solids during the condensation process is the main reason why an RV refrigerator needs to be level to prevent damage during use.

Most people with any organic content in their well water would be shocked to see what's growing inside their coffee pot.... Then, maybe not ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:19 AM   #35
gkainz

plain old glass percolator for the stove top, or an old porcelain percolator for the camp fire for me - had them both for over 40 years. I just about caused my Seattle based brother a heart attack when he dragged me into Starbux and I asked "Don't you have any plain old, real coffee? You know, like Folgers?"
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:22 AM   #36
Robh

Ok left that stuff out but just setting the record straight. We did the de-scale and have Britta's on water fill and at the sink.

This has nothing to do with preventative maintenance. De-scaling has nothing to do with disinfection. You cannot disinfect a Kuerig without ruining it.

You guys need to take a good look at your Kuerig and not just the reservoir. Just gets flashlight and look around where you put the kcup. You'll get a hint of how bad it can get.

Or not...

I should also add that we rarely drink local water or use it for anything other that cooking and washing. We use bottled water unless we were caught not having any. Rare at best. Local water intake was more from being out to dinner and getting a glass of water with a meal but even that was not common.
Robh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:42 AM   #37
66joej

^ I wonder if Keurig knows about this problem. Nothing in the manual about how to clean the area you mention. We pay $100 each for these things up here in Canada. I think I'll contact them to see if they are aware of the problem.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 04-08-2017, 05:51 AM   #38
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
^ I wonder if Keurig knows about this problem. Nothing in the manual about how to clean the area you mention. We pay $100 each for these things up here in Canada. I think I'll contact them to see if they are aware of the problem.

We just bought a 2.0 and it came with a cleaning bulb for the spot that pierces the cups.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #39
66joej

Is that the orange/yellowish coloured plastic thing?
We wondered what it was for. Have 2 - 2.0s. Thanks

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 04-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #40
chuckster57
Site Team

Probably. It came in a bag and I put it in a drawer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote