Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2016, 05:35 AM   #1
jmak

Cost of Ownership

In the past I have always thought in my mind that camping in a travel trailer would be inexpensive even for us still 40 hour a week working stiffs. However after adding up all the cost of ownership it does not seem to be that inexpensive.

Say you get a great deal on a nice trailer for $20K and after 5 years of ownership you can sell it for $10K. That puts a cost of $10k of ownership for $2K per year. Don't forget insurance of $500 a year. Also if you don't have your own covered storage and that can run another $1500 plus a year.

So fixed cost you are looking at $2500 w/o storage or $4k a year with storage.

Now lets add in some fun and simply take one weekend a trip a year of 2 nights each for a total of 24 nights a year. Let's say the average cost of camping is $35 a night to stay somewhere for a total of $840. Plus don't forget the extra fuel cost to get there of getting 10mpg in your truck instead of say 18mpg with an average destination of 150 miles away. That's an extra $324 a year.

Add in the extra cost of food, site seeing, repairs, and all the misc stuff you buy over each year for camping and w/o storage you are easily over $4k a year is cost or over $6k a year with storage cost.

While we all love camping you can take some pretty nice vacations for that kind of money. Even if you love camping only, that pays for a lot of nights in a cabin. I fully agree that RVing if you are retired or don't have that 40 hour a week job is much more cost effective as you can travel much more. If I was retired I would be out 4-6 months out of the year.

So what am I missing or doing wrong?
jmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:53 AM   #2
Laredo291OH

Re: Cost of Ownership

Well, cost isn't everything and usually hobbies of any kind aren't cheap. We camp because our kids have severe food allergies and eating out is difficult. We also do it because our kids get to see alot, they have been to 27 states so far with a goal of seeing the lower 48 before my daughter graduates in a couple of years. If you figure in the cost of the diesel truck, the new 5th wheel I have on order, the fuel etc, we could go on some very nice cruises etc, but I still like camping. For some things you can't "justify" the expense, you have to be like Nike and just do it. Also, it's tough to put a price on sleeping in my own sheets.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Being out of the rat race, even if for just a day or two....priceless!!!

Seeing lots of sights without having to worry about dirty bedding....priceless

Eating your favorite foods without having to worry about cleanliness....priceless

If I took the time to think about cost of ownership for everything, I wouldn't own a house or car or an RV. If you finance anything you have to factor back in the interest paid and on a 30 yr mortgage that than triple the cost of your home. Buy an expensive trailer and you may have to put it in a 15 yr note, get a high end car....you get the point.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #4
jsmith948

We recently completed a trip from the Central Valley of California, to New Jersey then down through the OBX to Jekyll Island then up through South Carolina to I-40 then westward to California. Saw some beautiful country and met some really nice folks at the various campgrounds.
No bedbugs, no arrogant, condescending hotel staff with their hand out for gratuities. Showered in our own clean shower, ate our own cooking, slept in our own bed on our clean sheets. But putting all of that aside - we just enjoy camping - regardless of the cost!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #5
BirchyBoy

All of the above is correct. RV'ing or tent camping is a hobby for most. Instead of buying up front, try renting for a few weekends first. There is a little bit of work involved with every trip but hopefully the fun outweighs that. If the cost is a factor and the fun isn't enough, you may want to reconsider ownership.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #6
jmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
All of the above is correct. RV'ing or tent camping is a hobby for most. Instead of buying up front, try renting for a few weekends first. There is a little bit of work involved with every trip but hopefully the fun outweighs that. If the cost is a factor and the fun isn't enough, you may want to reconsider ownership.
Yes renting is the way go to see if you like it. We actually did do a few trips with a rental and then decided we wanted one with the floor plan that is perfect for us and has the little things that keep the misses happy.
jmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #7
Mike484

Our payment is $20 a month, so figure 50% depreciation, that would put it at a cost of $125 a month.
Insurance, $600 a year or $50 a month
Storage, $160 a month

Then when being used (about 3 days a month) the average stay is $50 a night so thats another $150 a month.
When we pull it, just figure 150 miles, we get 9 miles to the gallon less so that is an extra 16 1/2 gallons at $2.25 a gallon would be another $38.

So, actual cost to us is about $335 a month when not being used.
Estimated cost during the months we use it is $523.

On the average, we do use it monthly for about 3 days, so our cost is about $175 a night for us to own and use our trailer. No granted, once its paid for it will be cheaper, but not much.

Very easy to find hotels that are far less than $175 a night to stay in and you dont have the hassles associated with pulled, setting up, taking down, maintaning, and everything else involved in RV ownership.

Even with all this said, we still prefer our RV over hotel stays for many reasons. Find nice RV parks which are always nicer than a hotel, sleep in your own bed, never leave anything behind because everything you need is packed in the RV, got a full kitchen, we can stop anywhere to stay over night without searching for something that is open, you can park and stay exactly where you want without having to drive back and forth to the motel (we have stayed right at the place we were going to be; airport, friends property, etc.).

Not to mention, now that we have an RV, we want to use it and we find ourselves making a lot more weekend trips than what we ever even thought of before owning an RV.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
zuley

I was always the one to bitch and complain about the monies we spent camping. All said I figure we are probably a thousand a week when you figure in all associated costs. This past weekend my wife and I flew to North Carolina to spend the weekend on friends 54 foot canoe. Saturday evening buddy and I sat out on the swim platform with a couple of good cohibas and a glass each of Crown Royal trying to solve the problems of the world. We got discussing the cost of keeping a 54 foot boat in the water. Without leaving the dock he says his fixed costs are 12,000 per month. 5 or 6 thousand per year now looks pretty good to do the camping thing. From here on in I think I'm just going to smile and nod and drive the truck.
Seriously, camping is pretty good value for what we get out of it.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
Tbos

Cost of Ownership

I've taken some nice vacations, a week at an all inclusive cost when done about $5k, weeks cruise after air fare and all other cost about $5K. I figure 4 trips like that and my TT would have been paid off. You have to eat regardless if you are home or away so that really shouldn't be figured in unless you always eat out at expensive restaurants when you camp. Camping is not cheap that's for sure but for me it's hard to put a price on sitting around a fire you built with your family and friends laughing and making Smors.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #10
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.

That is just part of the budget. Like cell phones, internet, directv/dish not needed but desirable. I used race pigeons that little hobby cost me hundreds a year. Not to mention buying good breeding stock. So I swapped one hobby that only I enjoyed to a hobby that the family (now just the wife and me) can enjoy. We have the greatest time being together. Isn't love grand?

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
slow

We have been camping and touring with our family much of our lives. A few years back before our kids moved out, we were at the supper table and the kids were sharing what we had done wrong as parents. Basically poking a little fun at us.

I responded with the question "what did we do right?" Both kids immediately responded with "giving us so many experiences". All that we have spent came back with interest when we heard that and we have absolutely no regrets having made camping and touring part of our family's life.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #12
B-O-B'03

In addition to all the things already mentioned, do not forget the "cost" of dealing with minimum wage TSA agents and all the joys that comes with flying these days.

I would rather drive, just about anywhere to, avoid that.

When we camp we are trying to get away from things, not be huddled in a fancy hotel with them, peace and quite makes for a relaxing vacation for us.

-Brian
Old 11-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #13
bsmith0404

For me, the meals alone make camping worth it. When you stay in a hotel, you eat every meal out. That gets old by about day 3. I love to come back to the camper, throw some steaks on the grill or roast some hot dogs over the campfire. Plus, if I want to just take a day and relax, lounging around in my camp chair under the awning, or taking a nap in the hammock is much better than sitting around the hotel room all day. Also, we love playing camp games such as corn hole or bocce ball. The kids ride their bikes around the campground....there's a different sense of relaxing that you don't get staying in a hotel. There are just things you can't put a price on. If I were worried about the cost factor and return on investment, I'd probably be camping in a popup, but we are very happy with our choice of RV and have never once sat down to try and justify the expense, some things just don't need to be looked at in that way.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #14
MattHelm21

Being able to bring a 130 lb Great Dane and an 80 lb German Shepard is also priceless. There are pet friendly hotels but not a single one will allow you to leave your pet in the room for any length of time and the RV is their home away from home.

Being able to stay anywhere within walking distance of a NASCAR event is also huge. Even getting a semi-local hotel now near any track is a major commute after the commute to the hotel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1728.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	11468  
Old 11-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #15
CWSWine

You ought to run cost per pound of fish caught off a bass boat, that would interesting to know.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
You ought to run cost per pound of fish caught off a bass boat, that would interesting to know.
YIKES !!! No, please don't go there !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #17
GaryWT

I have never looked at the cost, it is not about the money. It is about doing something that we love and we still work 40 hours a week.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #18
CaptnJohn

You just had to mention 'boat' and fishing. HOA fees at the marina where the dock was purchased should not be considered. My wife will never understand the need for 28 rods/reels. Salt water is hard on equipment and much more.

Camper costs ~~ I traveled a lot for weeks and months at a time. Once a sweet chief of housekeeping suggested no matter what hotel or how much you pay~~ have the secretary ask to have the bed made AFTER your arrival. She said you can cover a really ugly mattress with cheap or expensive sheets.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #19
buzzcop63

I dreamed of RVing for 6 years before retiring, and then with both of us retired wife decided that we should get ourselves our own RV. March of 2012 we bought truck and trailer new, we had checked our budget, wanted as few problems as possible and started RVing. I kept track of all of our costs to date, we have spent a cash amount of $41, 675, this includes rent for storage of our RV and all the things we bought and added, still four payments due on truck, no interest finance.
We have been out a total of 194 nights, all at county and state parks. That computes to $214.81 per night for the equipment. The rent per night for our sights $5,247.50, now the total is $46,922.25 divided by 194 nights is $241.87. Now we still have the trailer and truck that can be sold to get a net cost but for us when we have gone on vacations before we started RVing we calculated our cost at about $250 per day. We used luxury motels, traveled longer distances and ate out every day. Those vacations were nowhere near as fun as camping and when done we had nothing to sell to lower our cost!
Old 11-19-2016, 04:58 AM   #20
Irish Mist

You need to do things within your means.. to us traveling and seeing new things was more important then having a bricks and mortar house so we do not have houses any more and live full time in the boat or now the fiver ..Because of that most of our stays are by the month at spots which really decreases the cost. Food and drinks are a wash as we eat and drink wherever we are .. As it is with everything you can stay at expensive spots or reasonably priced spots.. You can pull a brand new top of the line rig or look for a deal in a used one. My point here is not to discourage those on the edge looking for an excuse not to be free and take a chance.. Too often people read others take on how expensive this is and don't try it.. I just wanted to say it can be as expensive or inexpensive as you make it.. but once you experience the friendly and helpfulness of fellow travelers most will be glad they are free ..
Irish Mist is offline   Reply With Quote