Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
lmoser

Yellowstone

Headed to Yellowstone in early July. Any thoughts on campgrounds in the area? Not wild about pulling my 2011 Keystone 324 deep into the park. Perhaps something on the edge to the park? I live in Wy
lmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
dherod

I stayed at Flagg Ranch at the south entrance about 15 years ago. It was well kept & nice. The only thing about the south entrance is it's pretty crowded. Lots of poeple drive up from Jackson Hole to see Old Faithful. Another option is West Yellowstone. I didn't stay there but there seemed to be several campgrounds. On the east side, you have a couple of options towards Cody. We'll probably try one of those the next time we get up there. One thing to know about Yellowstone is travel is VERY slow. Between summertime construction, people stopping to watch wildlife, and wildlife in the road - it can take hours to go just a few miles. I loved Yellowstone and can't wait to get back.
dherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #3
Jim W

My DW and I are going to Yellowstone in late August thru early Sept. We made reservations at Yellowstone Valley Inn and RV park in Cody WY, when we are in WY. I found this campground from RV park Reviews and Woodalls Camping guide.
Here is the link to RV park reviews. http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
jq1031

A few years back we stayed at the North Entrance to Yellowstone in Montana. The camp ground was about 5 or 6 miles from the entrance near a old western town called Livingston. There is a few CGs in that area & all seem quite nice!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
Crazy Canucks
Permanent User Ban

Thumbs up

GRIZZLY RV PARK in West Yellowstone MT.
Crazy Canucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
camper 2010

As you are driving west from Cody WY, just before you get to the East enterence to Yellowstone, the USFS has several campgrounds along the river that are very nice. Some are near the enterrance.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
campingcpl

We are also planning a trip to Yellowstone this next spring. We had thought about staying in Cody but have been told that it's like an hour drive from there just to get into the park. Have been thinking about driving over to the west entrance or north entrance to stay (we are coming from the east). Has anyone made the drive from the east entrance to the west entrance towing? We have been told the west entrance is the best entrance to stay at (closer to park and attractions plus more choices of places to stay).

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
jq1031

No matter what entrance, get as close to the park as possible. Once inside it's vast and alot of driving. Having to drive alot just to get to the entrance makes for a long day trip. If I were to go again, which I will, entering on the south east near the TETONS will be my choice. Everyone has told me "ya gotta go the Jackson Hole".
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
No matter what entrance, get as close to the park as possible. Once inside it's vast and alot of driving. Having to drive alot just to get to the entrance makes for a long day trip. If I were to go again, which I will, entering on the south east near the TETONS will be my choice. Everyone has told me "ya gotta go the Jackson Hole".
Colter Bay RV Park in GTNP is nice and a great place to stay if you are doing a few days in GT. If you are going to be doing the upper loop in Yellowstone for any more than a day, it makes for some pretty long drive times. I would stay a few in GT then go to the east or west entrance to YS. That puts you about in the middle of the whole park. I always stay in GT because I soend more time there than in YS, byt YMMV.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #10
96Brigadier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canucks View Post
GRIZZLY RV PARK in West Yellowstone MT.
We are staying at Grizzly from June 30th through July 6th this year. Lots of recommendations for it on the various RV/travel sites out there.
96Brigadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:46 AM   #11
Bankerbob

Yellowstone Campground

We stayed a week in West Yellowhead KOA close to gate 7 miles and easy access to the surrounding area. Campground was not crowded and was very quiet. Mind you we were there in early Sept.. At that time we had our 40 ft Fuzion toyhauler and the campground was easy to navigate. Lots of quadding around the west end of the park away up in the mountains across the continental divide. We also went to the KOA in Cody but it is an hour drive to the park from there. Mind you we quadded the 40000 acre wild horse preserve in the badlands around Cody and that was spectacular.
Bankerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:58 AM   #12
Outbackmel

Reservations Reservations

The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is Aug 1-14th. 300,000 bikers with toy haulers, etc will invade the areas all over that part of the country beginning mid July through the end of August.

I just postphoned a trip because we could not get close enough to Yellowstone when we wanted to be there.

Pick your spots and reserve them ASAP. It's always bz this time of year at these wonderful places. No recession is going to stop people from their dream vacations.

Plan and RESERVE

Enjoy.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #13
hankaye

Howdy All;

Have not been there but know folks that know the owner... Stand-up kinda guy.

http://www.campfirelodgewestyellowstone.com/

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #14
rjsurfer

Try Grizzly campground at the west entrance, really close to park to boot.

From Grizzly it's just 15 minutes to a bunch of nice spots for sightseeing and maybe a half hour to the geysers....

We tried leaving through the west gate toward Cody but it was closed because of snow and ice, wound up leaving the south gate and stayed at Gros Ventre campground (highly recommended) Make sure you spend spend some time at Jackson Hole.

PM me if you need anynore info.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #15
rjsurfer

Try Grizzly campground at the west entrance, really close to park to boot.

From Grizzly it's just 15 minutes to a bunch of nice spots for sightseeing and maybe a half hour to the geysers....

We tried leaving through the west gate toward Cody but it was closed because of snow and ice, wound up leaving the south gate and stayed at Gros Ventre campground (highly recommended) Make sure you spend spend some time at Jackson Hole.

PM me if you need anymore info.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #16
hankaye

Outbackmel, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is Aug 1-14th. 300,000 bikers with toy haulers, etc will invade the areas all over that part of the country beginning mid July through the end of August.

I just postphoned a trip because we could not get close enough to Yellowstone when we wanted to be there.

Pick your spots and reserve them ASAP. It's always bz this time of year at these wonderful places. No recession is going to stop people from their dream vacations.

Plan and RESERVE

Enjoy.
Sturgis is in South Dakota, YNP is alllllll the way across the State of Wyoming, next to Idaho. Just Googled Earthed the route from Sturgis, SD. to West Yellowstone, Mt. 510 miles, that's about 1/2 on I-90 (228 miles).

Yea there may be alot of bikers out there most just like to be left alone so they can enjoy the scenery and the smells and camp out just like us...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
Outbackmel

Hankaye Yellowstone

Yep. I am aware. Have 2 huge motorcyles myself. (Wife rides her own 1700cc). Been a owner rider for 52 years straight. Was going out that way this year, without the bikes, with our new 5er. Mid August, following Sturgis, campgrounds near Yellowstone were SOLD out! I have many friends who have tried on the front side with similar disappointment. Bikers are NUTS...we ride 150 miles just to get a good breakfast!

Been to Yellowstone and surrounding areas before. We were fortunate and stayed at 2 in park lodges. That place is BUSY in the summer....

Reservations......reservations......reservations.. ...that's all I say.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #18
antiqfreq

We stayed at Grizzly RV park in W Yellowstone last year for 5 nights
(also coming up from the Tetons) and then when we left we headed east and stayed at Ponderosa CG in Cody, Wyoming for 2 nights.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote