Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #21
denverpilot

Brand new truck or 5yr old truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
I did, and if you read his post you would conclude, would you rather have a brand new truck meaning, buy it when you are ready to full time, or rather buy a truck now and use it for 5 years and have a "5 year old truck" at the time he will probably go full time as HE has used it for 5 years. Thread titles are often used to entice people to participate or look at the thread, the first post had the context into the specific situations.

Sounds to me like he hasn't done his homework. I'm not going to do it for him, but I'd be (slightly) wary of anyone who says they make a living selling new ones saying a new one is the way to go.

All I need is an hour with a browser and a spreadsheet to see that a new one isn't any deal these days. Not until the old ones are more expensive to fix.

Dodge is trying. They want $6000 for an OEM Bosch fuel pump these days. Good thing there's reputable rebuilders. Nothing reputable about Dodge saying a pump is $6000.

And that'd be the other reason I don't trust new ones. If a manufacturer plays games with pricing to entice the sale of new ones...

And Ford using customers as Beta testers for the 6.0 and 6.4 until they finally got it right.

Chevy just plods along with technology over a decade old, and that's a "safe" call if that's what someone wants.

Anyway. His decision. Hopefully he has some food for thought. No harm intended on your pushing of the new ones. If someone has the money, it's an option. "Ooh shiny" is as good a reason as any.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #22
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
I'd be (slightly) wary of anyone who says they make a living selling new ones saying a new one is the way to go.

All I need is an hour with a browser and a spreadsheet to see that a new one isn't any deal these days. Not until the old ones are more expensive to fix.
You say that like I'm going to sell a truck to anyone on this forum. Here's why I say new is the way to go. Mark up on new vehicles is minimal, although it is more on an expensive truck than it is on a economy car (around 3500 vs 1200, you can look them up yourself on truecar.com). If you look at the NADA values of a slightly used truck you will see that they are nearly as much as what you can find a new truck for. For example, a 2013 Silverado LTZ crew cab duramax with 45k miles shows an NADA retail of $46,000. A quick search on the net will show that you can find new 2016s with the same specs for around $53k, about $9k below MSRP.

When spending around $50k, I'd rather pay $7k more for new with 0 miles and full warranty. Especially knowing that it will only depreciate roughly $7k over the next 3 years.

Similarly, a 2010 Silverado, same spec, shows a retail price of $36,500. So roughly $10k below the 13. I understand that predicting future values of a truck by looking at current values of an older one is not perfect, but it gives a good idea.

From the view point of a dealership, they can get money back from the manufacturer on the sale of new vehicles, in addition to rebates, and finance incentives that allow them to sell them well below MSRP. On slightly used vehicles, you can find a good deal from time to time, but for the most part they are going to hold pretty close to suggested retail price. Used car sales is where the profit is. It's a pretty normal to lose money on the sale of a new vehicle, it's also pretty normal to make $4-5k on the sale of a used.

So from my point of view, I would never buy used, but I would also never buy new close to MSRP. Buy during special sales events, get special financing offers and save big on a new truck. Maybe my perspective is tainted a bit, but I can look at the invoice on a new car and know what kind of a deal I got, I can't on a used car. I don't like the idea of a dealership making $5k profit off a sale to me, but it happens to people every single day.

Oh, and yes we sell used ones too and I would much rather get my 18% commission off a $5k profit used car sale than the $150 I get for selling a new one at a loss or minimal profit, so come on down.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #23
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
You say that like I'm going to sell a truck to anyone on this forum.

No, I was simply bringing up the other point of view. I wasn't arguing your position, I was offering mine.

I like owning things. Outright. I own my house, and five vehicles outright and I didn't do that by paying interest to anyone that I didn't have to, for any longer than I had to, or buying new vehicles.

If you buy loans, you own loans. If you buy trucks, you have the title. That's all I'm saying.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post

"A. Buy a new or slightly used truck about 6 months before you start fulltiming. Pay cash at time of purchase.

-OR-

B. Buy a brand new truck about 4 or 5 years before you plan to fulltime. Finance it like normal, aiming to have it paid off when you start fulltiming. Drive it sparingly in those 4 or 5 years, aiming to have a minimal-mileage vehicle when you start fulltiming."
Driving a new diesel minimally for five year is not the best plan either!
DRIVE IT, tow a lot with it, work it, so it has 50 to 60K on it when you retire, you put the 50 to 60K on it and know how they went on. New diesels should go an easy 300,000 miles with normal maintenance.

If you want a slightly used TV, buy CaptnJohn's two year old or less TV.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #25
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I buy a new Ford diesel every 2 years or less.

I buy every three years or 36,000 miles which ever come first. Last time Ford now I have GMC but less than 3 years this time. I trade my paid off truck in and difference comes between 10,000 and 20,000 and since I don't have house payment i just pay it off in 12 months - 2 years without payments - then time for new truck. Works for me..... Besides I feed the used market, if wasn't for people like me and CaptJohn there won't be those good diesels on the used market.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:07 PM   #26
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
if wasn't for people like me and CaptJohn there won't be those good diesels on the used market.
The RV community I'm sure appreciates it!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #27
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
The RV community I'm sure appreciates it!
You're welcome
Old 12-08-2016, 05:02 AM   #28
bsmith0404

Quote:
I buy every three years or 36,000 miles which ever come first. Last time Ford now I have GMC but less than 3 years this time. I trade my paid off truck in and difference comes between 10,000 and 20,000 and since I don't have house payment i just pay it off in 12 months - 2 years without payments - then time for new truck. Works for me..... Besides I feed the used market, if wasn't for people like me and CaptJohn there won't be those good diesels on the used market.
Just curious why you trade in at 3 years/36,000 miles? It sounds like a warranty thing. I understand that with a car, but diesel trucks carry a 5 yr/100k mile powertrain warranty for Ram and GM and 5 yr/50k mile warranty for Ford. Yes the bumper to bumper is 3 yr/36k, but the powertrain is the expensive parts on these trucks. Just curious if there is another reason/incentive for your timing. I'll admit I'm now up to 6 yrs and 145k miles on my dmax.

I typically trade in around the 50-70k mile point, but didn't this time around due to the amount of miles I was putting on the truck. I've been eyeing the new trucks, but this one is still running so good and I've done so much to it that the thought of starting over scares me away. I don't want to deal with installing new differential covers, deep trans pan, FASS system, auxiliary fuel tank....I don't necessarily need to put all of that on a new truck, but I do like the benefits I get from each so I'd probably go through it all again. Everything in the truck still works like the day I bought it, so until I start having problems I'll probably just stick with what I have. Maybe spend the $8k for an engine refresh around 300-400k miles, maybe....

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 12-08-2016, 07:02 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Just curious why you trade in at 3 years/36,000 miles? ...and 5 yr/50k mile warranty for Ford. Yes the bumper to bumper is 3 yr/36k, but the powertrain is the expensive parts on these trucks. ....
Just a note to clarify Ford's vehicle warranty:

3 year/36000 miles Bumper to Bumper
5 year/50000 miles Powertrain
5 year/60000 miles Safety Restraint System
5 year/Unlimited Corrosion Perforation
5 year/100000 miles Diesel Engine

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #30
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just a note to clarify Ford's vehicle warranty:

3 year/36000 miles Bumper to Bumper
5 year/50000 miles Powertrain
5 year/60000 miles Safety Restraint System
5 year/Unlimited Corrosion Perforation
5 year/100000 miles Diesel Engine
Man, leave it to Ford to add so many different warranty levels and make it really confusing. I guess they aren't confident enough with the rest of the powertrain to match their engine warranty yet.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 12-09-2016, 07:37 AM   #31
CWSWine

Quote:
Just curious why you trade in at 3 years/36,000 miles? It sounds like a warranty thing. I understand that with a car, but diesel trucks carry a 5 yr/100k mile powertrain warranty for Ram and GM and 5 yr/50k mile warranty for Ford. Yes the bumper to bumper is 3 yr/36k, but the powertrain is the expensive parts on these trucks. Just curious if there is another reason/incentive for your timing. I'll admit I'm now up to 6 yrs and 145k miles on my dmax.
Not to sound arrogant but because I can. I retired a few years ago and turned over the last of my business to the kids to run and they have grown them and have done very well. I'm going to enjoy life and reap the benefits of my hard work and the many years of 60 hours week running my small business.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Not to sound arrogant but because I can. I retired a few years ago and turned over the last of my business to the kids to run and they have grown them and have done very well. I'm going to enjoy life and reap the benefits of my hard work and the many years of 60 hours week running my small business.
Good for you !!!! Probably, like you, at the "stage of life" that I'm in, I've developed the attitude of, "If I want it, I'm going to get it (or within reason, do it).... Years of "doing without" to save for children's college, "not taking vacations" so I'd have those hours to take off (with pay) if a kid was sick, "saving for a rainy day" not knowing if I'd need it, and generally "ignoring my wants" while I worked harder than the rest to earn that promotion...... Those days have paid off for me, so I'm going to "reap my rewards".....

For me, it's not about whether it's a "smart investment" as much as it is, "Can't take it with you".... So, "to heck with it, let's go!!!!!"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Good for you !!!! Probably, like you, at the "stage of life" that I'm in, I've developed the attitude of, "If I want it, I'm going to get it (or within reason, do it).... Years of "doing without" to save for children's college, "not taking vacations" so I'd have those hours to take off (with pay) if a kid was sick, "saving for a rainy day" not knowing if I'd need it, and generally "ignoring my wants" while I worked harder than the rest to earn that promotion...... Those days have paid off for me, so I'm going to "reap my rewards".....

For me, it's not about whether it's a "smart investment" as much as it is, "Can't take it with you".... So, "to heck with it, let's go!!!!!"
^^^x2 Took 40 years but we got to "that" place by the grace of God.

My investment guy told me "you need to think about what you want to do with your money when you are gone. What kind of legacy do you want to leave?" I told him..."legacy?" "Trust for the kids?" I told him "my parents left me nothing and I have no concern about leaving anything when I'm gone unless I can't find a way to spend it." So I'm like the above; if I see it and want it I get it. If I want to jump up and spend a month across the country I do it. If I want a new truck - get it. The only things I won't do is travel abroad (I like my country), go on a cruise (I don't like being a sardine) or buy a plane (don't like flying). You only go round once and I see no point in continuing to live in retirement the way I did when I was working "trying to make it". I wish everyone success in finding "that place" in life that makes you happy.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #34
Javi

I been broke all my life and I intend to slide into the grave feet first, broke, hollering hold my beer and watch this.... My kids know this as does my wife... sell whatever I got left, cremate me and flush my ashes in the nearest toilet
Old 12-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #35
Desert185

Retirement for me is enjoying the present, missing the past (I loved my career) and wondering about the future. I just hope the luck of the past continues with health in the future for the two of us to enjoy the benefits of our earned retirement.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #36
chuckster57
Site Team

Brand new truck or 5yr old truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I been broke all my life and I intend to slide into the grave feet first, broke, hollering hold my beer and watch this.... My kids know this as does my wife... sell whatever I got left, cremate me and flush my ashes in the nearest toilet

BAM!!! working on my second million....gave up on the first.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #37
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
BAM!!! working on my second million....gave up on the first.
I hear you Chuckster! Doing the same with Canadian dollars (takes longer).
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #38
kimbashaw

I bought a new 2013 Chevrolet Dually Diesel in June of that year. I retired last month with it paid off. I made a concerted effort to not drive during the winter months. I think I did right. Truck prices went up considerably in 2014, I have a diesel just "loosening up" with 36000 miles. I am happy with my decision.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #39
chuckster57
Site Team

36K miles. It's still but a puppy that needs weaning!!!
My '94 only has 75,XXX miles on it

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #40
bsmith0404

My 2011 has 148k on it, should be broke in pretty soon 😁. I love these trucks, not a worry in the world hooking up the 5er and running half way across the country. I will say I've added a FASS system too it which give me a little more piece of mind for the injectors and fuel pump. Also the Allison got a deep pan and some Transynd fluid which those things love. I'm about to the half way point of when I intend to replace the truck. I may not even do it then, I don't want to start all over adding the auxiliary tank, and the other goodies I mentioned. I guess the next 150k miles will determine how I feel about it at that point.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE