Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
vegascouple

Wink Tv shopping

Thanks for all the input so far. What a great forum to hear from the pros and wannabe pros. I am still so new i have not yet bought our TT but have been doing my homework. Maxing out at a size appox GVWR 8000lbs but more likely 6200lbs,

Just my DW and I for our retirement travels. Please tell me your likes about your TV. Not really sold on any particular brand. Need more info on size 150 250 1500 2500 etc...
Can not wait to join all of you on the road
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
rjward

Just to clarify, you're looking at a TT with a GVWR of 8000lbs? If so then I think most people here will be recommending a truck in the 250/350-2500/3500 range. However, if you do some reading in the TV section of the forum you will see there is a wide range of opinions as to what an ideal TV is.
Also, since you say this is for retirement travels, can your TV be dedicated to towing or will it also be a daily driver?
Are you looking at a 5th wheel or a bumper pull trailer?
I think any make of truck will work for you as long as it has necessary payload to handle your trailer. So read up on how the payload capacity of your TV affects how heavy a trailer it can tow.
Then there is the whole gas verses diesel debate. Many threads here on this topic.

Let me congratulate you on one thing; you are coming at this the right direction. Pick your trailer then pick your TV to match. Most people have a TV and then try to pick a trailer, except the trailer you want is always too heavy for your existing TV.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
notanlines

What RJ said. If you buy the correct trailer THE FIRST TIME then you won't be looking for a new trailer AND a new TV in two years. In my opinion buy just a little more than you might like, just a couple feet longer, maybe a couple of options that you might be able to live without. Then when you head towards your TV you can rest assured that you won't be back on the dealer's lot in another year.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
therink

I recommend buying your second tow vehicle and trailer first if you know what I mean. The above poster is correct. If you are looking at a trailer with gvwr of 8,000, get at least a 2500. If you think that gvwr of 8,000 may ever be greater, then consider a 3500 single rear wheel (SRW) truck.
Nothing is a bigger bite on the wallet than having buyers remorse after the first year or two.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
GaryWT

I had a 150 which was good. The trailer was 6400/8000. I was at my limits but it worked. If I had an ecoboost 150 I would have had plenty of towing and payload capacity. After a life event I bought a 350 which I just love and it tows like nothing else I have had. Trading in a truck after a year costs thousands so plan carefully.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
vegascouple

Love all the help. Thank you.
Ram 2500 V8?????? Went thru some RV parks and seems like I saw more RAMS than anything else. What's your opinions of the 2500?
Thanks again
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:13 AM   #7
larry337

In my opinion a 2500 is pointless unless it just cost more money for plates and insurance where you live. There's very little difference in ride and price between a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton. Get a ton and be done with it, you won't be sorry.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:48 AM   #8
notanlines

I also agree with Larry up to a point. Keep in mind that for everyday driving the 1 ton is a little rough. But once you have it and get used to driving with that smile on your face.......
Also remember that Ford outsells all other brands, and in the 3/4 ton and 1-ton about doubles the sales of each of the others.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/04...s-in-2013.html
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 05-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Don't be mislead. A one ton truck for a trailer with a GVW of 8000lbs. is far more than overkill. It would be silly; unless you like gelled kidneys and bouncing down the road.

Make sure you get the trailer you want then back in the truck configuration. Up to 8000 lbs. many 1/2 tons say they will pull it (and even more) but that is really too heavy for them ideally. 3/4 tons will go up to 17k or so (off the top of my head but will be accurate) PLENTY of capacity for the trailer you describe. A one ton rides rougher, costs a bit more, depending on what configuration, is a little larger etc. than a 3/4 ton. My question would be why? Just in case? Again, why?

The Ram 2500 6.4L (gas) would be ideal for your situation if that is the truck you like. Many ascribe to a diesel, and they have their place, you just have to crunch the numbers and see if it would be a plus for you. When you buy a new truck and the premium for a diesel is 9-10k and fuel costs a buck more a gallon, you really NEED to have a reason to buy one other than to say you have one. Unless you keep the vehicle for a long, long time and put hundreds of thousands of miles on it you won't get your money back - even considering the higher trade in value - but, this is not a diesel vs gas thread. Do your homework on the engines, trucks, trailers etc. and see what you think. When you have questions post them.

The post about Fords selling so many trucks? I bought 37 new Ford vehicles including 17 new Ford trucks for personal use - then quit due to powertrains. A good truck? Yes. Better than Ram 15 years ago? Absolutely. Better than a current Ram? Not hardly. Ram, Ford, Chevy and GMC make great trucks; you won't go wrong with any of them; just get what looks good to you, fits your pocketbook, with the trimming you want and the towing ability you need. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:10 AM   #10
larry337

A one ton is the exact same size as a 3/4 ton of the same configuration. It doesn't ride any worse then a 3/4 ton. Basically it does everything a 3/4 ton does and more, and it does it better. I traded an F250 for my F350 dually and the ride may even be better. I have a friend who who just recently traded a Chevy 2500 for a Chevy 3500 dually and he says the same thing. If you want a half ton then fine , I just see no point to a 3/4 ton and I've had them all. The only reason to buy a 3/4 ton is the 10000 GVWR limit in states where the plates cost more. In my state it doesn't matter as long as it's registered non-commercial. The difference in price is next to nothing, fuel economy with same drivetrain is a negligible difference, and the ride difference is negligible. If you ever want a bigger trailer you won't have to buy a new truck. So to anyone thinking 3/4 ton I say get a one ton and be done with it. Been there done that. To say its silly is just, well...silly. The OP asked for opinions and that's mine. As for diesel vs gas, all I'll offer is this: if money is the only consideration then you will have a hard time justifying it. There's plenty of threads on the internet about diesel vs gas.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 05-08-2015, 04:58 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

I've driven half, 3/4, 1 ton and much larger trucks. IMO they get progressively harsher as the weight they are capable of gets higher. I will say that when you get to the "gelled kidneys" type of ride it is hard to discern "gelled" from "really gelled". Yes, a one ton body in the same configuration is the same as a 3/4 ton generally. My friend's one ton, exactly like my 3/4 ton (body wise) will not fit into my garage opening (height) - mine will, thus, slightly larger.

I think money is a consideration to most people. Nearly everything I do I base on bang for the buck. You have to keep that in mind when buying a trailer/truck combo unless you just want what you want irrespective of pros vs cons.

The OP said he had done his homework and the max trailer HE wanted was 8000lbs, more likely 6200. A one ton truck is overkill for that size trailer particularly when you factor in the discomfort of daily driving. I know some say their one tons "ride great", "ride like a car" etc.....sorry, even a HD 3/4 ton doesn't come close to those terms. At 80psi (factory recommended/programmed) my 2500 lets me feel EVERY pebble and seam. If you hit a pothole it will jar every bone in you - very unlike a Mercedes where the same pothole is just a "pa-whump" with very little interior movement. Just my2cents (maybe 4).
Old 05-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #12
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've driven half, 3/4, 1 ton and much larger trucks. IMO they get progressively harsher as the weight they are capable of gets higher. I will say that when you get to the "gelled kidneys" type of ride it is hard to discern "gelled" from "really gelled". Yes, a one ton body in the same configuration is the same as a 3/4 ton generally. My friend's one ton, exactly like my 3/4 ton (body wise) will not fit into my garage opening (height) - mine will, thus, slightly larger.

I think money is a consideration to most people. Nearly everything I do I base on bang for the buck. You have to keep that in mind when buying a trailer/truck combo unless you just want what you want irrespective of pros vs cons.

The OP said he had done his homework and the max trailer HE wanted was 8000lbs, more likely 6200. A one ton truck is overkill for that size trailer particularly when you factor in the discomfort of daily driving. I know some say their one tons "ride great", "ride like a car" etc.....sorry, even a HD 3/4 ton doesn't come close to those terms. At 80psi (factory recommended/programmed) my 2500 lets me feel EVERY pebble and seam. If you hit a pothole it will jar every bone in you - very unlike a Mercedes where the same pothole is just a "pa-whump" with very little interior movement. Just my2cents (maybe 4).
So you just said "my 2500 lets me feel EVERY pebble and seam. If you hit a pothole it will jar every bone in you"....? OK, so how's that different from a 350/3500? There's very little difference in ride, if any. Your point about your garage may be valid to you, in my case my dually fits with room to spare. As far as bang for the buck goes if there is less than 2% difference in cost, no difference in ride, no difference in fuel economy and one does more then the other then which one offers more bang for the buck? I know most people buy their first trailer and keep it for ten years (sarcasm) but what if this guy is different and decides he wants a bigger trailer, (unheard of I know). How much will it cost to upgrade? Understand that I'm not telling him what he should get. It's his money, not yours and not mine. We should be offering our thoughts and opinions and he will decide what things are important to him. For you it was apparently garage height, and that's your business. I agree a half ton might work for him, all I'm saying is once you mentally commit to a 3/4 ton you may as well get a one ton, there's very little discernible difference between them and it might save you from upgrading your truck. You're trying to discredit my opinion by using terms like silly or overkill and it's not fair to the OP or anyone else trying to make the same decision. I personally could care less what he or anyone else buys, it's not my money. It's not silly and why is overkill a bad thing when it doesn't cost any more and has no negative side effect.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 05-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Larry337 - you have your opinion, I have mine. You reposted everything I said so: "there's very little difference in ride" (your quote) which means there is a difference, and there is. and that's what I said and you confirmed that. If your dually fits in a standard garage....it doesn't. I've built multiple homes with standard garages and a dually won't get there....and in none of the new homes being built in my neighborhood - that would seem to be something to consider for someone not overcome with "one ton itus". If your premises are correct about one tons I'm astounded that any truck manufacturer continues making a 3/4 ton.

2% difference in cost...maybe, probably a tad more. Same ride - no. You don't go from a 3xxx payload to a 5xxx+ payload and it's "all the same". Fuel economy - probably close. I could go on, but, facts are facts.

I'm not trying to discredit you. In fact I think one tons have a place just like diesels. But, trying to paint a donkey into a horse isn't right for a person asking an objective question. A 3/4 ton and a one ton ARE NOT the same. Just ask the salesman at your nearest truck store. There are dividing lines. Advocating buying a one ton truck to pull a 6200lb trailer (or 8000) is......silly. As I pointed out in my earlier post the OP has picked his light choice, and maybe, his heavy choice. Why would anyone want to guide a person into something they don't need because.....what if? I'm all about bang for the buck, what fits, and if you like it....good for you. I'm about to embark on buying a plane and getting my flying license....I'm thinking a Piper, but following your thinking maybe I need a 727?

I understand what you are trying to say. I think you overlook the needs, possibly wants, of the OP. As you said, these are opinons...not trying to attack someone. Silly is a term; it fits for the situation described and has nothing to do with your post.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
Kickin It

I agree with Sourdough, my 2500 Ram rides nicer than the 3500 that I test drove before buying. It also pulls my 5th wheel very well with room to grow still before buying a 1 ton dually, and I paid a lot less than the 1 ton. The OP needs to go drive trucks that he likes and see which fits HIS needs, not everybody else's.

2015 Sprinter 304FWRKS, Reese Goose Box
2014 Ram 3500 CCLB dually 6.7L Cummins 4x4
Kickin It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:02 AM   #15
larry337

To be honest I didn't realize this was a debate. With a clear winner. I thought you post your opinion and I post mine. Of course he doesn't NEED a 350 / 3500. If you were to look around you would see that it's nothing uncommon to use a 1 ton for a travel trailer. I simply offer food for thought, and you pounced on my post as though you are the only one that matters. Who made you boss?

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 05-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #16
TomHaycraft

Vegascouple, if nothing else, you can see how passionate we are about our opinions! Let me take a different approach.

In the range you are looking for, you can "get by" with a 1/2-ton, biggest engine option and trailering package, but will have little room to spare in terms of extra horsepower for overcoming strong headwinds or long grades at altitude.

That said, you are in the 3/4 or 1-ton truck range. Quality of the ride is a matter of opinion. Drive one of each from each, RAM, Ford and Chevy. You've gotten this far in life, it will become clear the differences (or similarities?) in ride quality.

I just went from an '09 Chevy 1500, crew cab, short bed, 5.3L to a '13 Chevy 3500HD, long bed, single rear wheels, 2-wheel drive, diesel. The ride of this 3500HD is quite pleasant, yes, more firm than the 1500, maybe the long wheel base helps. I couldn't be happier. Current trailer is only 7,700 lbs so this 3500HD is overkill. In terms of next trailer? I don't anticipate full-timing, so I won't max this bad-boy out.

Have fun test driving them, long wheel base, short wheel base, gas and diesel. Towing capacities vary greatly as to configuration. In the end, buy more capacity then you anticipate needing, you won't regret it.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:03 AM   #17
notanlines

This is the reading I enjoy most on this forum. Ever notice that if a neighbor buys a new Ford Fusion he says "Hey, Fred! I bought a new Fusion!" That's it. He might tell you it's red, no more than that. Let the neighbor on the other side buy a new pickup and it is a ten minute conversation him telling you what it is all about......trucks are an important part of this RV'ing activity, and we may actually be more heated in our opinions concerning our TV's than the actual TT.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 05-09-2015, 04:19 AM   #18
larry337

Ya know sourdough, I think I owe you an apology, I think I took your first post too personal. I just re read the thread to see where this went sideways and 4 of the first 5 people to respond (including me) specifically mentioned the possibility of a 350/3500. So maybe you were speaking in general and not specifically to me. No hard feelings man! BTW you sure your from Texas? I never in my life heard a man cry about a truck as much as you. It's too big? It's too rough? Hurts your kidney's? Huh? If you whined like that in front of my friends you'd get laughed right out of the building!

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 05-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Born and bred Texan. I don't whine and cry; I make astute observations. I can also assure you that no one laughs when I speak; unless I make a joke.

I talk about the ride because as folks get older it makes a difference. Personally, I had a severe back injury when I was in my 30s. When I had recovered it still bothered me, now, 35 years later with arthritis in all the joints, it is much more painful. Comfort is important to folks when pulling for long distances and that's all I'm trying to point out. Towing ability also counts in the "comfort" category but once you get a big enough tow vehicle, it's big enough (big enough means comfortable towing capacity margins).

You did take my post personally and it wasn't meant that way. Everyone has their opinion, their entitled to them and I respect them. I understand someone really liking a one ton, a dually, a Vette, Ford, Chevy etc. We all have those opinions based on our personal experiences and that is what this forum is for....an exchange of knowledge based on our varied experiences. My daughter has a Keurig? coffee maker that uses the little packets. She loves them; I hate them and I told her they taste terrible. She just smiles and says "daddy, you just don't know good coffee". I don't take that personally or get upset. She has her opinion I have mine.....maybe I don't know "good" coffee but I know what I like. We're all like that.

Anyway, the OP was looking for TV suggestions and got some great reading material....and I hope some ideas as well. As was mentioned in a previous post they need to try the various vehicles out. As was also noted a long bed does improve the ride in my opinion. I think that's the reason mine is so harsh but I like the shorter bed (and so does my garage). Again, a trade off based on personal tastes - not saying it's the best; just what I wanted/needed.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #20
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Born and bred Texan. I don't whine and cry; I make astute observations. I can also assure you that no one laughs when I speak; unless I make a joke.

I talk about the ride because as folks get older it makes a difference. Personally, I had a severe back injury when I was in my 30s. When I had recovered it still bothered me, now, 35 years later with arthritis in all the joints, it is much more painful. Comfort is important to folks when pulling for long distances and that's all I'm trying to point out. Towing ability also counts in the "comfort" category but once you get a big enough tow vehicle, it's big enough (big enough means comfortable towing capacity margins).

You did take my post personally and it wasn't meant that way. Everyone has their opinion, their entitled to them and I respect them. I understand someone really liking a one ton, a dually, a Vette, Ford, Chevy etc. We all have those opinions based on our personal experiences and that is what this forum is for....an exchange of knowledge based on our varied experiences. My daughter has a Keurig? coffee maker that uses the little packets. She loves them; I hate them and I told her they taste terrible. She just smiles and says "daddy, you just don't know good coffee". I don't take that personally or get upset. She has her opinion I have mine.....maybe I don't know "good" coffee but I know what I like. We're all like that.

Anyway, the OP was looking for TV suggestions and got some great reading material....and I hope some ideas as well. As was mentioned in a previous post they need to try the various vehicles out. As was also noted a long bed does improve the ride in my opinion. I think that's the reason mine is so harsh but I like the shorter bed (and so does my garage). Again, a trade off based on personal tastes - not saying it's the best; just what I wanted/needed.
I'm so used to it the ride never bothered me. I've had a truck since I could drive and always will. My first was a 73 Chevy short bed. Paid $1000 for it when I was 16. What does bother me is being limited, either by a short bed or payload capacity. I'll put 4 wheelers, gravel, mulch, firewood and anything else that fits in the bed of my truck. Had 1/2 tons, 3/4, reg cab, ext cab, crew cab, short beds and long beds. Ultimately ended up with the current truck. Once you get into a 3/4 there's not enough difference in ride going to a 1 ton to worry about, at least not to me. I do have a standard 2 1/2 car attached garage but my truck stays in the pole barn with my other toys, and its not a daily driver. And your right a long bed will ride smoother. I see why you made your decision and I hope you see why I made mine. The OP doesn't know what he wants which is why he is asking. We don't know anything about him, his age, his back, his garage, or if he even has a garage lol. He got a lot of information but he needs to go out and look and drive for himself. Often times the first choice of truck or camper isn't the right one anyway. It's hard to know what you want until you actually get started and try something. Then go and buy something different the following year unfortunately.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS