Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2015, 04:14 AM   #21
bsmith0404

RG59 will work with a sat, it just doesn't have as much shielding so you can get more noise. RG6 also has a larger center conductor which carries a signal better. Most importantly, RG6 has a thicker dielectric which can help it avoid an electric current, makes it safer for electronics. With HD channels and high speed cable internet, RG6 is the standard now even for cable. IMO, if you're going to drop the bottom and run RG6 for your sat, replace the RG59 for the cable as well. But, if you want to use the existing RG59 for your sat, it'll work.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #22
flubyu

Thanks everyone.

2011 Bullet Premier 31BHPR
flubyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:03 AM   #23
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1013 View Post
Here is a link on how to modify the TV/Antenna Booster Switch to allow use of your satellite through the outside antenna connector.

http://www.tv4rv.com/wiring.pdf

I have never had any problems using RG-59 with my Winegard Carryout setup. Even when using a 25-30ft extension cable.
Thank you for this link! I haven't actually taken the chloroplast down, but I'm fairly confident there isn't a splitter in there because of the single tv hookup. Its such a short run I don't know why you would bother with one but time will tell I guess. I was able to identify the antenna cable and the one running to the back. Made this mod and verified that the antenna still worked same as before.

Have yet to try the setup for the sat, ran out of time with everything I did all weekend.

Just a question for any dish users out there if you read this. Does the remote work off RF? Or is it IR only? Reason I ask is I didn't realize the box would be so big, and would like to mount it hidden away in the cabinet below the TV. None of the shelves or cabinets fit the box so I either hide it or store it while traveling.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:18 AM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

I know the newer direct tv receivers can be either way, just not positive how to do it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #25
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I know the newer direct tv receivers can be either way, just not positive how to do it.
Thank you! I'll have to look into it further. For the record I should have been more clear, this is a DISH box, not a directv. It's not a deal breaker if it can't be done, just would be a cleaner look.

The DW is already suggesting mounting it in other areas...but it is not worth the hassle of longer wire and hdmi cables and figuring out how to do it lol.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #26
tgpilot

Last week I was staying in Kalispell, MT where I once lived, but found their cable channels lacking. So, I broke down and bought the King Quest portable dish for Direct TV, though I still had a portable dish that I had from ten years ago. I just decided that I did not want to play chase the signal game any more.

I had seen these dishes going at Camping World for more than $500.00 and else where. I got online and found them for as little as $375.00. I approached a dealer in Kalispell and told him what I could get one for, he came down to$422.00, so I bought it.

First time I tried to hook it up, I had a tree in the way and had to move the dish. Then, it took me another hour and a half to get her up and running. All because of the screwy wiring in my rig. I had to fall back on my old training when, I once ran a cable TV company and reduced everything to the basics. After getting signal, I started making my changes to my connection and then the programming popped in. I brought along a receiver from home that I used in the bedroom. Fortunately, it was compatible with the dish. Make sure that it is before you buy. No extra cost to programming this way.

this evening I pulled into a small park here in Browning, MT for the Blackfeet days. No TV, NO Wi-Fi. I walked out, set the dish behind the coach, plugged in the cable, went inside and plugged in the POWER INJECTOR that comes with it, and in five minutes I had full programming.

As they say, the second time is easier, love it, glad I bought it. I tried Dish once, hated dealing with them. My Track phone Wi-Fi hot spotter is barely getting signal, but here I am lol.
tgpilot is offline   Reply With Quote