Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
wesaysoracing

washing and waxing

I tried this and it worked great on my Bullet, it cleaned the dust , bird poop, black streaks, and what ever else was on it off and it left a brilliant shine behind,
This is a waterless product , spray on and wipe off , then buff with a micro fiber towel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wash and wax.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	8129  
wesaysoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
buzzcop63

Zip wax car wash by Turtle wax, use it on trailer, cars and our truck. Use past wax by Turtle on the above. Makes things easy to clean and wax last several months. Many good products out theier!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
wesaysoracing

I followed the cleaning with their ultimate wax and could not see a difference before or after it was applied,
wesaysoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
mamawildbear

Coincidentally, I was just researching waxes last night. I was going to get Poly Glow, which is a product the Keystone Manual recommended but it is super expensive and then it turns out it is only for restoring a damaged finish, not maintaining a new finish. I ended up deciding on getting the Meguiar's M5032 Marine/RV One Step Cleaner Wax but I haven't tried it yet.
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:16 AM   #5
{tpc}

When autorama was in town, I talked to the meguiars guys about what to use. They were uncommitted on their product based on what type of material the trailer was made of. I forget if it was fiberglass or gel coat they were concerned with but I was specifically asking about their marine/rv product.

They basically said I needed to be sure exactly what I was using it on, and then let them know and they could tell me if it was ok. Probably just trying to cover their own butts I guess.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
michael_h

the rain was coming to an end today and all the off season dirt was loosened, so I got out the bucket and wash to scrub the walls with my extended handled brush, thinking all along, "I was so happy this box was no longer than 20 feet"
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
Texascoastalfish

3M - Ultra Marine Performance is the ticket

I use this on my offshore boat and just waxed my new Cougar. Use a telescoping soft/med brush to soap , then rinse and towel dry, then hand wax.
Its a "wax on....wax off" workout, but it didnt want to use my orbital and possible get to agressive and mess up my decals. This wax job should last all summer at least . that 3M stuff is the best. There is cleaner wax or protecting.
I used protecting due to no oxidation since its brand new

Texascoastalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
OurLuckyPenny

Why Not Use the Car Wash?

Instead of going to the big expense and large amounts of elbow grease to care for your rv's outer surface, how about this:

1. use the regular car/truck wash to remove dirt and residue (soap down and rinse well)

2. put the thing on "wax" and give it a coat of wax right after the wash cycle

If the car wash is good enough for your $35,000 vehicle, why wouldn't it be good enough for your rv?

Might have to stand back a little to reduce the pressure and protect the decals, but, man, think of all the work and expense you could save???

Just thought I'd ask.....
OurLuckyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
jkohler70

One reason - caulk. Your vehicle doesn't have any caulked seams or windows. Your RV does. You probably won't hurt the skin, but the caulked areas would be my concern.
I have used my own pressure washer, but I use the widest (45 degree) tip, and stand back. I don't use the pressure to remove dirt. I have a rotating brush attachment that I use. I just don't have 2 hoses, so I use the 45 degree tip to rinse the soap.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
notanlines

Penny, for the vast majority of people the "wax" coming out of your typical car wash is minimal at best, close to zero wax left behind. I know of no one actually who depends on a car wash for any type wax at all.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #11
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurLuckyPenny View Post
Instead of going to the big expense and large amounts of elbow grease to care for your rv's outer surface, how about this:

1. use the regular car/truck wash to remove dirt and residue (soap down and rinse well)

2. put the thing on "wax" and give it a coat of wax right after the wash cycle

If the car wash is good enough for your $35,000 vehicle, why wouldn't it be good enough for your rv?

Might have to stand back a little to reduce the pressure and protect the decals, but, man, think of all the work and expense you could save???

Just thought I'd ask.....
That car wash soap & wax is not good enough for my vehicles. I will use it very carefully to wash salt water residue off my fishing boats and trailers.
I once asked a auto body paint shop the best thing I could do to prep my truck for a paint job...take it to a car wash. The water is frequently recycled and full of grit.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #12
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascoastalfish View Post
I use this on my offshore boat and just waxed my new Cougar. Use a telescoping soft/med brush to soap , then rinse and towel dry, then hand wax.
Its a "wax on....wax off" workout, but it didnt want to use my orbital and possible get to agressive and mess up my decals. This wax job should last all summer at least . that 3M stuff is the best. There is cleaner wax or protecting.
I used protecting due to no oxidation since its brand new
I waxed my bay boat with that last year. Good stuff. Then waxed the front cap of the Montana.
I just did the Montana with Meguiar's Flagship Marine liquid wax. Might hit the front cap with 3M again though.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:04 AM   #13
byrdr1

I use Protect-All on my RV. Works well and leaves a nice shine when finished buffing it out.
I spent the better part of Sunday afternoon waxing on mine. I got the whole back side and about as high as I could reach on the door/curb side and the front cap as high as I could reach on an 6' ladder. Got the decal good and noticed a little peel on one spot. I think I might get some of that magic glue and work those edges a little. I'll have to get my 8' ladder out to do anything higher than my reach. need a 12 footer really, be nice to have two and walk board. So the project this week is get the drive side cleaned good and work the Protect-All on that side and then get the high stuff.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:37 AM   #14
Texascoastalfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I waxed my bay boat with that last year. Good stuff. Then waxed the front cap of the Montana.
I just did the Montana with Meguiar's Flagship Marine liquid wax. Might hit the front cap with 3M again though.
Gearhead,
How is your cap holding out. I used the 3-M on my traded in 2007 Outback TT, the front was all faded an no decals. I bought an Outback Mountain decal (big) and an OUTBACK logo then waxed the whole rig with 3-M , especially the cap and new decals. Sat out at the lease for 2 years and still looked good. No fading or anything. I have heard complaints on this forum about fading caps, I think a quality protecting wax should stop this ?

Where in SE Texas ?

Texascoastalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #15
NotyetMHCowner

What exactly is the 3M wax you all are using? We are picking up our new fifth wheel next week. Since it is new I wont have oxidation so I don't want a cleaner wax. I hate waxing anything, so I want the best so I wont have to do it as often.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:26 AM   #16
LaTundra

meguiar yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawildbear View Post
Coincidentally, I was just researching waxes last night. I was going to get Poly Glow, which is a product the Keystone Manual recommended but it is super expensive and then it turns out it is only for restoring a damaged finish, not maintaining a new finish. I ended up deciding on getting the Meguiar's M5032 Marine/RV One Step Cleaner Wax but I haven't tried it yet.
This is what I used on my preloved Laredo. Used a buffer to apply/buff off. Looked brand new.
Tip: on the side facing the sun, apply 4 foot section at a time, then buff off.
Previous owner was quite impressed.
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #17
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascoastalfish View Post
Gearhead,
How is your cap holding out. I used the 3-M on my traded in 2007 Outback TT, the front was all faded an no decals. I bought an Outback Mountain decal (big) and an OUTBACK logo then waxed the whole rig with 3-M , especially the cap and new decals. Sat out at the lease for 2 years and still looked good. No fading or anything. I have heard complaints on this forum about fading caps, I think a quality protecting wax should stop this ?

Where in SE Texas ?
The cap looks pretty good. I waxed the cap last year with 3M. We bought the 5th new last July, so I probably waxed it when the weather allowed...Oct/Nov. The trailer sits out in my backyard facing east. The cap still sheeted water well this spring. I waxed the entire trailer with the Meguairs Flagship Marine a few weeks ago. I'll rinse all the yellow/green pollen off next week before we head out for Bristol. Might wax just the cap again with 3M again before the summer heat.
We're right up 146 from you...Liberty.
I saw that cat boat in your avatar. How you like it? We're running a 21 NauticStar ShallowBay. You think the lower bay is getting salty again?
Old 04-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #18
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
I use Protect-All on my RV. Works well and leaves a nice shine when finished buffing it out.
I spent the better part of Sunday afternoon waxing on mine. I got the whole back side and about as high as I could reach on the door/curb side and the front cap as high as I could reach on an 6' ladder. Got the decal good and noticed a little peel on one spot. I think I might get some of that magic glue and work those edges a little. I'll have to get my 8' ladder out to do anything higher than my reach. need a 12 footer really, be nice to have two and walk board. So the project this week is get the drive side cleaned good and work the Protect-All on that side and then get the high stuff.
randy
I've been thinking about finding some used scaffolding myself.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #19
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyetMHCowner View Post
What exactly is the 3M wax you all are using? We are picking up our new fifth wheel next week. Since it is new I wont have oxidation so I don't want a cleaner wax. I hate waxing anything, so I want the best so I wont have to do it as often.
I used 3M Ultra Performance Marine paste wax. Not sure if it comes in liquid. I probably got it at Academy Sports & Outdoors. Most likely could get it on Amazon. The 3M and the Meguairs Flagship are good stuff.
I use Klasse from Autogeek on the hotrod.

After I waxed the entire 5th, that $300 quote from the detail shop sounded pretty good. I might take them up on it next time. I'll have to sit there all day and watch them though. I obviously have trust issues! LOL
Old 04-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #20
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post

After I waxed the entire 5th, that $300 quote from the detail shop sounded pretty good. I might take them up on it next time. I'll have to sit there all day and watch them though. I obviously have trust issues! LOL
I had the same thought and had mine washed and detailed in a park by a local outfit with a good reputation when I was in Palm Springs last January. At $220 I thought it was a good deal. They even painted both fold out steps. When I finally arrived home after two months on the road I knew I made the right decision after considering the road grime I would have to remove.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote