Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
hdrolling

Gas grills getting stolen?

We plan to keep our camper in a monthly spot and will have our Weber gas grill with us. Just wondering if anyone has ever had the grill stolen or if it's something I don't need to worry about? These things run just under $1000 so it's a bit of an investment for us and we don't want it to walk off while were away from the camping area.

Our camper does have a "toy lock", does anyone use this to lock up there grill and propane tank?

Thanks, were just camper noobs and I didn't see anything using the search feature .

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #2
Desert185

What kind of a camper-compatible Weber grill is $1000?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
{tpc}

I'm not sure what exactly a "toy lock" is. I will say that ours has underneath storage with the standard lock that seems to come with all campers. That said, if there was something I was truly worried about, I might not leave it in there. But thieves have no boundary and if they want it bad enough, they will get it.

I've thought of replacing this lock, but even with a replacement, the right tool could get past it anyways, likely with more damage to the trailer.

I don't have a weber grill however. Seems a pricey model to bring camping, but now I re-read that you have a monthly spot, so I understand. You may want to inquire with your neighbors first, prior to doing this. Most grills contain lots of metal, metal which can likely be scrapped. But i would guess your not the only one doing this, so asking others in the same CG would likely help.

For a grill as nice as that, if it were me, I'd find a nice spot to chain it to, and then some sort of cover that I could tie at the bottom and run some sort of cable through to chain that as well. You could still cut a cover open and run away with parts to scrap, but its more time consuming and may be just enough of a deterrent.

desert - I think OP is talking a full size model for his monthly spot.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #4
bmach

Seasonal site = full sized grill?

My guess it is not a table top model but a full size grill. I would at least chain it to something if concerned about it.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
GmaPaTime

I chain ours only when we leave for most of the day. We have not had any problems as most campers watch out for their neighbors. I do believe though that locks are only for the honest folks and crooks will do anything to get what they want no matter what you do.

So, do what can but don't let it destroy your camping.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
GaryWT

When we were seasonal we had a full size grill but not a Weber and never had an issue. Our smaller things we put away when we went home. We even left it out under a tarp for the winter. If you are worried as you will not know the campground at first, chain it to a tree or the camper and you should be fine. With it unlocked, the only issue you might have is bored kids at night or something but most likely there will not be any issues
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #7
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
What kind of a camper-compatible Weber grill is $1000?
We plan to spend the whole summer at the camp ground and will take our full size weber gas grill with us.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_333222-505-6...7C1&facetInfo=

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
I'm not sure what exactly a "toy lock" is. I will say that ours has underneath storage with the standard lock that seems to come with all campers. That said, if there was something I was truly worried about, I might not leave it in there. But thieves have no boundary and if they want it bad enough, they will get it.

I've thought of replacing this lock, but even with a replacement, the right tool could get past it anyways, likely with more damage to the trailer.

I don't have a weber grill however. Seems a pricey model to bring camping, but now I re-read that you have a monthly spot, so I understand. You may want to inquire with your neighbors first, prior to doing this. Most grills contain lots of metal, metal which can likely be scrapped. But i would guess your not the only one doing this, so asking others in the same CG would likely help.

For a grill as nice as that, if it were me, I'd find a nice spot to chain it to, and then some sort of cover that I could tie at the bottom and run some sort of cable through to chain that as well. You could still cut a cover open and run away with parts to scrap, but its more time consuming and may be just enough of a deterrent.

desert - I think OP is talking a full size model for his monthly spot.
These might be toy hauler specific?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22-15-forest-river-vengeance-39C14-exterior-toy-lock-3992-8695.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	8114  

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
hdrolling

This will be our first time trailer camping in 30 years, I use to all the time as a kid. We tent and use the cabins when we go on motorcycle road trips, but staying for more than a couple nights is new to us and I'm trying to avoid any mishaps. I'll secure it to the camper with the toylok and worse case might just end up getting a cheaper grill to keep at the camp ground.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #10
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
I'll secure it to the camper with the toylok and worse case might just end up getting a cheaper grill to keep at the camp ground.
I've been a Weber fan for a lot of years, but apparently never an aficionado with a $1000 grill.

If you go smaller, the Q is the ticket!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Depending on the rules at your site and the availability of space, you might want to consider a metal storage building to erect behind your trailer. It would give you a place to store not only the grill, but also chairs, cushions, and other items you wouldn't want to leave outside and that get too dirty or are too bulky to store in the trailer when you're not there.

Here's one example from Lowes that's less than $350: http://www.lowes.com/pd_274588-25-LW...3D1&facetInfo=

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #12
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I've been a Weber fan for a lot of years, but apparently never an aficionado with a $1000 grill.

If you go smaller, the Q is the ticket!
Damn, the weber Q 2 burner is $400! If we get a separate grill for the camp ground I'm thinking a $200 cheapo walmart grill that I won't have to worry if someone else wants it more than I do.

Our expensive one was a retirement gift from the inlaws, no way I was turning it down!

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

Anything can be stolen. Here's what I would rate the odds on of a theft. Is the park open to public. That will allow local crooks to drive thru and look for stuff to steal. If not that is better. Is that a toy hauler, if it is I would put it inside every time I left. If someone breaks in, more than the BBQ will be taken. A storage shed at the site would be helpful, not burglar proof but much better than leaving it out.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #14
Desert185

Quote:
Damn, the weber Q 2 burner is $400! If we get a separate grill for the camp ground I'm thinking a $200 cheapo walmart grill that I won't have to worry if someone else wants it more than I do.

Our expensive one was a retirement gift from the inlaws, no way I was turning it down!
The Weber Q 2200 is currently $250. My bro-in-law just bought one.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #15
bato3500

Gas grill $1,000.00. Four foot chain and a pad lock $19.00. You do the math. I usually do not worry about camping buddies. We all watch out for each other. Its the guests and once a year crowd I worry about.
bato3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #16
hankaye

hdrolling, Howdy;

Quote:
We plan to keep our camper in a monthly spot and will have our Weber gas grill with us. Just wondering if anyone has ever had the grill stolen or if it's something I don't need to worry about? These things run just under $1000 so it's a bit of an investment for us and we don't want it to walk off while were away from the camping area.

Our camper does have a "toy lock", does anyone use this to lock up there grill and propane tank?

Thanks, were just camper noobs and I didn't see anything using the search feature .
I noticed that in your signature you mention that you have a Toy Hauler,
a 2015 Raptor 332TS 38', why not roll it inside when you go back home ?
Outa sight, outa mind ... just a suggestion.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #17
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
hdrolling, Howdy;

I noticed that in your signature you mention that you have a Toy Hauler,
a 2015 Raptor 332TS 38', why not roll it inside when you go back home ?
Outa sight, outa mind ... just a suggestion.

hankaye
That's probably what would happen the first few weeks going back and forth, but from the sounds of it it's really not going to be an issue from most's experience. And for at least now the camper will be in the monthly area which is separate from the overnight weekly area, once I get a feel for my neighbors I bet I'll be more comfortable.

Until now I've only tent camped while on my motorcycle out on road trips or to bike rallies, and you have to secure everything at all times or it will be gone! Here's our typical site:
Spearfish SD

Lake Tahoe CA

Mt St Helens

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #18
Desert185

Quote:
That's probably what would happen the first few weeks going back and forth, but from the sounds of it it's really not going to be an issue from most's experience. And for at least now the camper will be in the monthly area which is separate from the overnight weekly area, once I get a feel for my neighbors I bet I'll be more comfortable.

Until now I've only tent camped while on my motorcycle out on road trips or to bike rallies, and you have to secure everything at all times or it will be gone! Here's our typical site:
Spearfish SD

Lake Tahoe CA

Mt St Helens
I remember camping like that. In fact, I'm doing more of it during a weekend in April even though I now much prefer the comfort of our SRX.

Ref loading the BBQ in the garage when you're gone, I've found some sites configured that didn't allow opening the garage ramp while parked in the site. Good suggestion, though, if the site allows it. I always try to get a pull through if available.

You're going to like the TH after tent camping.

Ex-Army myself, but not anything close to 22 years.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #19
Zapper

How about rolling the Weber in the garage?

2015 3500HD DRW LTZ Durmax/Allison
2015 Fuzion 325 Onyx with Monster Pack
Reese 20K slider
Zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #20
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapper View Post
How about rolling the Weber in the garage?
Zapper that is a thought but the garage has two beds with the bottom one being our dining room table as well, so my thing is after wheeling that heavy grill up and down the ramp every time we want to go into town or need to run back to the house would get old real quick. I'm really looking at getting a cheaper weber grill like mentioned by others and just leave the big one at home safe. I was thinking long term of all the company I might have to cook for and how nice it would be having the bigger grill but now thinking about it that might not happen as much as I envision. I grill 4 out of 7 days a week and any times twice a day.

Retired Army, 22yrs