Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2015, 06:11 AM   #41
jkohler70

If you are concerned, just avoid purchase from a private party. Many reputable RV dealers have a large inventory of used rigs. These get inspected and cleaned by the dealer before being offered for sale. You may even be able to get a warranty out of them.
If I was buying used, there are two things I would examine closely - the roof and floor. Check every square inch of the floor for softness and see if it appears to have been replaced. Check the roof for tears, and look closely at the end seams for broken caulk.
RV's depreciate quickly in the first couple of years. You can save a lot of money going that route.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:04 AM   #42
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
You make some very good points. Maybe I will start looking around for some used camper's
I looked at a bunch of used ones and never even considered buying any of them until I found the one that I eventually purchased. I had a couple of things going for me though; it was in the middle of nowhere so limited buyers and they had been trying to sell it for a while. I was willing to drive out to get it which wasn't that far from Dallas but still limited the potential buyers. They owed $10,000 more than I was willing to pay which is pretty common but I had no issues with the transaction. My bank wouldn't do anything until it was paid down to what I was paying them so my bank took care of everything and made it very painless. The people I bought from could not have been nicer and very upfront and honest.

I still would not buy one unless it's been stored inside. Protects the roof along with everything else and shows the owner takes care of it most likely. Most had not been stored inside and it instantly shows as soon as you look at it. Of course it's hard to go wrong with new and a warranty but at the right price you can get a great deal. I also looked at used ones at dealerships but I could buy new for not much more.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #43
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohler70 View Post
If you are concerned, just avoid purchase from a private party. Many reputable RV dealers have a large inventory of used rigs. These get inspected and cleaned by the dealer before being offered for sale. You may even be able to get a warranty out of them.
If I was buying used, there are two things I would examine closely - the roof and floor. Check every square inch of the floor for softness and see if it appears to have been replaced. Check the roof for tears, and look closely at the end seams for broken caulk.
RV's depreciate quickly in the first couple of years. You can save a lot of money going that route.
I hear ya on the roof, that's what I'm dealing with now. I'm paying the price for not doing what I wanted too do 9 years ago which is making a gravel parking spot and having a metal RV carport too store it under, in fact I've started the project just 9 years too late.

Thanks for the tips, you guys have been awesome which comments and idea's.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #44
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
Okay so I've read and done searches on pin weight's because in the future we (wifey and I ) plan on trading in a TT which has bunk beds for something more for just us. I want a 5th wheel but it seems like I don't think I can get much of a camper, now this is just guessing and I know I need too make a trip too the CAT scale's, but my old 2000 F-250 weighed in at 6560lbs (2WD) so now I have a 2001 F-250 7.3L 4X4 so I would guess it's over 7,000lbs easy. Now the door sticker has a 8800lb GVWR so if I understand correctly and the truck is 7000lbs I can add 1800lbs, take out me and dear wifey so know maybe 1450lbs.

So we have found a possible new camper, it's a Jayco (Sorry Don't hate us) but that is the one the camper dealer had that has the features we want, so here are the manufactures weight's

http://www.jayco.com/products/fifth-...le-ht/275rlts/

Jayco Eagle HT 37.5RLTS
Unloaded 7625lbs
Dry hitch 1260lbs
GVWR 9950lbs
Cargo cap. 2325

So when looking at these number's and I know that I can't really go by them, but even thou I think my truck can handle it, is my truck just not enough for a 5th wheel or should I just stick with a TT?????

Thanks guys, but I need some guidance
Will say this is not a recommendation just the situation I find myself and am comfortable.

TV is a 2001 Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4 with Camper Package, meaning it came with 3500 springs, larger tires, and rear sway bar. NONE of which is reflected on the VIN sticker. I have the build sheet with the Camper package and the larger 265/75-16 (3,415#) tires compared to the stock 245/75-16 (3,042#) tires.
When we went to buy the current 5er we knew we would be close or over GVWR, I required that we hook up the 5er before before signing the papers as we had a 250 mile tow home and wanted to be sure it sat some what level, and the TV didn't squat too much.
It fit great and the TV was still better than level. Signed the papers and paid for it and hit the road.

Well on the first trip stopped at the scales on the way home!

To say the least a good bit over GVWR, but well under all axle, and way way under tire ratings.
The 5er ratings are:
Dry weight 9,820#
GVWR 12,360#
Tows at just over 11,000#
Pin loaded 2,000#

Tows, handles, and stops like a dream.

Yes, likely in legal limbo, but don't see too much of an issue. If it didn't tow and handle the way it does, I would get a 3500 (not bigger just a different number on the side, and VIN).

No bags or Timbren's, just stock running gear.

To the OP, that Jayco, might come in just under your GVWR, some these weights for hitches these guys throw out, are a bit out of line. I am not weak, but I know my Reese twin jaw weighs nowhere near 200#, more like 100#.
Pin on that Jayco runs about 17% dry, and not too large of a basement so likely not going to change much.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #45
bsmith0404

Have you looked at the new Jayco's? I just pulled a 30' 5er, GVWR was just under 10k, when I pulled across the scales it only added 1900 lbs to my truck weight. It also had a standard receiver hitch which I thought was pretty cool. I didn't look at the load capacity of it, but it was nice to see the manufacturer add it, takes all of the debate of warranty concerns away.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote