Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
BlueThunder34

Too long of a trip???

So we bought our new 2015 Springdale and have quite a few trips planned, but one recent addition is a trip to San Diego (SeaWorld) with some friends of ours. They are flying, renting a car, hotel, etc. We are at the very least driving down (I hate flying) and we are contemplating taking the trailer or renting a hotel. We would be coming from Washington state and plan on being in San Diego Mon-Fri. total miles round trip would be about 2,500. We have gone on several 400-500 mile trips in the past with a trailer but this would by far be the longest. Would those of you experienced with these distances recommend this with a trailer or just stay at a resort hotel? Our kids are 1,4,6 and do fairly well when we travel in the van (we travel to Santa Cruz, CA each year to stay with family 800 miles). Just don't want to get in over our heads, sometimes what you think is doable is different than reality. Thanks for any advice/thoughts!
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I think a trip with your TT is certainly doable. While it might take a bit more planning and preparation than taking your van, it is a trip that I don't think will "get you in over your head".
I'm not sure of your driving habits or how far south in WA you are located, setting aside 3-4 days to get to San Diego would allow you to put in a fairly short day on the road, and time to relax along the way. Taking your van might cut down on the driving time somewhat but not by that much I would think.
Instead of planning ahead to reserve or find motels, you would use that same time to look for campgrounds along the way.

Perhaps one disadvantage of taking the TT is that your tow vehicle may not be as convenient as a van for you and your family to get around while in San Diego.

I think as along as you set aside enough time to get there and back, the trip will not seem so stressful or overwhelming.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Desert185

My concern with San Diego would be the traffic/streets if you made a wrong turn and park availability, plus the roundtrip tow time. I might not want to tow every day. That's a lot of towing for five days in San Diego. If you have time to see places along the way, it could be great trip in the trailer. That's how I would do it. Plus, you'll be sleeping in your own bed. I hoteled it enough during my career. Take the trailer!

Be sure to see the zoo, the Wild Animal Park and the USS Midway. If you fly (I know, you hate flying), and want to fly one of the Hornet simulators in the hangar deck, pick the one on the right. The one on the left has a bad visual.

Oh...and if the tech tells you to fly 175 Kts on final to trap onboard, that's much too fast. 138 Kts is good. Things go fast enough as it is without adding to the experience.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
GaryWT

Anything is doable depending on how much time you have. Travelling without the trailer will be quicker as you can probably stay on the road longer each day and hotels along the route will be easier to find. Towing will be slower and probably take at least 1 extra day each way. You will have some set up but will not have to lug things in and out of a hotel. With the kids, it might be easier to pull into a campground and everything you need is right there ready for you. Take it slow and have fun.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
BirchyBoy

I think it depends on what the focus of your trip is. If you're focused on the kids having the most fun with the other families that are going, then I think you should stay near where they are.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

How you do the trip all depends on how much time you have and what you want to do while there.

The distance isn't a problem. Just take your time. I would take about 4 days for a 1250 mile trip (one way). You can do it quicker but I like to take my time; leave after breakfast and stop while it's still early enough to take it easy for the remainder of the day; drive about 7 hours max a day.

Your route can be an issue if you get into a large city in a congested setting - avoid if you can. Your friends will probably be in town and close to the things you want to do. In all likelihood you won't be in the RV. You will spend a lot of time trying to "connect" if you're in the RV and they are downtown.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #7
{tpc}

This thread made me revisit an upcoming (possible) trip to Bar Harbor. It just about doubles the longest trip we took already, and runs us through canada part of the way. Our previous long trip was made in a day, and that was leaving in the early am and arriving in the evening I believe, so it will take some planning.

Should be an interesting summer lol.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #8
koko

When our adult children were young we'd take our trailer to St. Louis to visit family. It was 2600 miles round trip. We would have such a great time along the way. We just needed to make sure that travel time didn't make it impossible for us to spend adequate time at our destination. Also, although you may not need to make advanced reservations along the way, you definitely want to make sure you have a really good campground once you get to San Diego. Probably also depends on the time of year you plan to go (weather, etc.). It will definitely make lasting memories.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
Voyager

That's a long way to tow for 5 or 6 days , slower probably by a day each way, towing is restricted to 55mph in California, you will burn almost twice as much fuel and with RV park costs, wear and tear on equipment you won't save any money. I would get hotels and stop often at rest stops to let the kids burn off some energy, but if you do tow look at couple of RV parks at Mission Beach. Have Fun
2 Champion 2000's
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #10
BlueThunder34

Thanks all for the advice, as much I want to get this new trailer out there it is pretty apparent that for this particular trip the van and hotel are going to win out. Oh well we have lots of other camping trips planned for this year
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote