Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
txbowhunter

2013 Hideout vs 2012 Passport

We are looking into our 1st trailer and are a little stuck between these 2 models. Our search has narrowed to a 2012 Passport Ultralite GT 3220BH and a 2013 Hideout 31RBDS.
http://www.unitedrv.com/rv/2012-KEYS...LITE-GT-3220BH
http://www.funtownrv.com/product/use...rbds-254707-29
Our tow vehicle will be a F-250 Diesel. The Hideout is 1500 lbs heavier, the truck can handle it, but that is still a lot of additional weight. I think we like the setup in the rear bedroom a touch better on the Hideout vs the Passport, due to extra storage space. Our only holdup on the Hideout id the additional weight and I've hear many opinions on Fiberglass vs Aluminum, but it doesn't seem there is a clear choice. The holdup on the passport is the rear bedroom storage/media shelf is much smaller than than in the hideout and the outdoor kitchen is smaller.

Our use will be deer lease weekends and occasional road trips. Our family consists of 2 adults, 4 yr old, 8 yr old. Being this is our first trailer, I'm just looking for any feedback in relation to our concerns from some experienced RV'rs.

Thanks and I look forward to your feedback
txbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I realize that this may not be of much help but ...
First, I'd make sure that your TV can safely tow both units. Once you have crunched the numbers and you are certain that it can, then I'd next look at the floor plan of each unit and compare the plusses and minuses. Floor plans are, for the most part, very "personal" and what one couple likes another dislikes so select the plan that suits both of you the best.

Same with other considerations : storage, outdoor kitchen , "creature comforts" and colour scheme. Having a lot of storage is a bonus and it seems that you can never have enough. It's amazing just how much "stuff" you can accumulate.

Getting input from children as to their preferences is another subject and depending upon their ages, you might want to ask what they think but that is your choice. I can't imagine what a 4 year might have in the way of helpful, constructive input but who knows?

Good luck with your deliberations!
Old 01-14-2015, 05:22 AM   #3
txbowhunter

Thanks for the input. With a weight distribution hitch, I can tow up to 12,500lbs. I should be good with the heavier trailer, but I hate to have additional weight if I can avoid it.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:36 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbowhunter View Post
Thanks for the input. With a weight distribution hitch, I can tow up to 12,500lbs. I should be good with the heavier trailer, but I hate to have additional weight if I can avoid it.
Y'all will be fine with either trailer, the F250 will handle more tongue weith than either can throw at it..

P.S. If you need a drop shank, hitch head, bars and sway control I've got a lightly used setup that'll work with either of those trailer and your F250
Old 01-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
KanTC

We live in southern NM, where large hail is also very common, so we prefer fiberglass over aluminum.
You might ask your insurance agent if there's any difference in coverage/repair costs between the
two exteriors.

The difference in weight is mostly due to the Passport's aluminum structure vs Hideout's wooden one.
And, as you said, the Hideout has more *built-in* cabinets & such, and a larger outdoor kitchen.
With either choice, invest in a quality Distribution Hitch (with anti-sway) - both are *very long*.

Weight difference aside, the units are fairly similar. Some differences in features may be due to
upgrades/options (if added) on the Hideout. Again, a personal choice based on which one better suits
your family's wants/needs.

Have you check for any recalls? http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s...-notifications

Some food for thought in reference to the deer lease property -- I assume there's no electricity
& you'll be boon-docking, correct? Will you tow the trailer back & forth (each trip)? What about
the terrain directly to/from the lease site? I believe the Hideout has 15" tires/wheels, which
should allow more ground clearance, if needed. Have you compared holding tank sizes between the
2 models? Larger tanks will be a benefit with a family of 4. You may already know the outdoor
refrigerators function only with electricity (not on LP, or 12v), but... you can use it as an ice
chest during deer season... just kidding about the ice chest part!

From the Keystone Archives:

2012 Passport Brochure
http://www.keystonerv.com/media/3245...ure2012web.pdf

2013 Hideout (East) Brochure
http://www.keystonerv.com/media/6988...chure_2013.pdf

Good luck with your decision & happy camping!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
audio1der

The 15" wheels would provide an extra 1/2" of ground clearance; that's negligeable. But, the 3220 sits very low to the ground; it has 1 less step to climb into than many trailer; that really could be a factor.
Also, the tank size was a great point. The 30 gallon tanks on the 3220 are a joke is you don't have hookups. Despite a couple small things we absolutely love our 3220. It is surprisingly well built and everything works as advertised.

Your truck is perfectly equipped to pull either unit, so have fun choosing, and enjoy!
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:40 AM   #7
txbowhunter

Hideout

Thanks for all the info. We are leaning towards the 2013 Hideout and have even looked at a '15 model.