Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #41
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post
Yea it seems simpler than the chain style we had on our old trailer years ago. One question that I have you might be able to help with....where the "L" bracket attaches to the bracket on the tounge of the trailer I notice the top bolt is behind the "L" bracket and not through it like the directions I found for the hitch states. Is that top bolt supposed to go through the L first and then the frame mounted bracket or is it correct at is with the bolt behind the L and then the L bracket just attached to the 2 extending bolts from the frame mount?
I posted a few minutes ago and then looked at your picture again. I then looked for a picture of mine, attached. Its funny the way I remember mine is not the way I see it in the picture. I'll have to go over to storage and check it.

If anyone else has any info or ideas on the L brackets for his hitch please chime in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post
Yea it seems simpler than the chain style we had on our old trailer years ago. One question that I have you might be able to help with....where the "L" bracket attaches to the bracket on the tounge of the trailer I notice the top bolt is behind the "L" bracket and not through it like the directions I found for the hitch states. Is that top bolt supposed to go through the L first and then the frame mounted bracket or is it correct at is with the bolt behind the L and then the L bracket just attached to the 2 extending bolts from the frame mount?
I posted a few minutes ago and then looked at your picture again. I then looked for a picture of mine, attached. Its funny the way I remember mine is not the way I see it in the picture. I'll have to go over to storage and check it.

If anyone else has any info or ideas on the L brackets for his hitch please chime in.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #42
Tbos

Sorry about the duplication. Sometimes I'm technology challenged!
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #43
BlueThunder34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post

That's how mine is set up as well, I found a video online as well for setting up the hitch and they also have it set this way. Thanks for taking the time to look at your setup!!
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:19 AM   #44
bsmith0404

Reading through these posts has brought back some great memories/thoughts. A couple things that came to mind...my youngest daughter WILL NOT eat a hot dog, unless we are camping and she can roast it over the fire, then she eats them (and smores) almost every meal.

The one thing that amazes me, we have taken our kids to Disney (land and World), Yellowstone, Redwood Forest, San Francisco, Rushmore etc. The one trip they keep asking to do again, a fishing trip to Canada. Guess I'll be dragging the camper from NM to WI to get together with family and then to Canada again this year. I do have to admit, it is definitely the prettiest scenery of any place we've been.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #45
mespro

Thats cause it reminds them so much of Southern New Mexico (not).
mespro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #46
340_Formula_S

I have gotten a lot of use out of my RV. In the past two years I have towed over 22,000 miles. What I have found out and has been my experience, is that you will find the time and make the time to use it.
340_Formula_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #47
64tbolt

Now that I am retired I run the wheels off the thing. When I was working I used it a lot but now a lot more. memories with kids & grandkids are what it's about. I have been single for many yrs. I started taking my grand daughter camping when she was 2. Taught her to shoot @ 8 and she had her own rifle and was hunting @ 10. Many yrs later she is a week away from delivering my G grand daughter. But if you ask her the fondest memories she has was camping & hunting with Grandpa. Worth every penny I spent on the truck & trailer. I was single when I started taking her, diaper bag & all. J/K about the diaper bag lol. My point is instead of playing video games she learned about nature, wildlife, wildlife management, gun safety, hunting & survival skills. What else could you do for your family. She has 4 Championship buckles for bull riding. She recently hit a deer. Crippled beyond saving she put it down, called the sheriff and got a tag & sent me pics of it hanging in the barn. it is now in the freezer. She will carry her childhood experiences throughout her life and will be a survivor. OK that is the end of my novel.
64tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:08 AM   #48
C130

I, along with most others I think, had the same thoughts about buying an RV. Financially, it'll probably never make sense and I could care less what a financial planner says about it. There's more to life than always worrying about saving money, at least to me there is.

Anyways, my wife and I had the same discussions and our kids are currently 10 and 13. We've had the 5th wheel for about 3 years now and I don't regret it one bit. We both said if we were going to do it we'd better do it now while the kids are young enough to really enjoy it and before they got older and in to other things. I wish we got to use it more but we've had some great times and hopefully great memories for the kids. I never got to experience this growing up but I loved to camp in a tent but my parents did not camp at all. Our kids love it and we take it out at least every 3-4 months. We've taken some of our kids friends that have never, ever been in the outdoors and it's actually kinda sad to see that they've never been outdoors.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:50 AM   #49
64tbolt

write it off as a second home unless the irs has stopped that
64tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:30 AM   #50
GmaPaTime

For us its all about making memories with our grandkids now. Our two kids enjoy the outdoors growing up and we want to make sure that our grandkids experience the true treasures of life also. Camping has been our way of pulling the kids away from TV and games and since doing so, they can't wait till the next time we go. My oldest, 9, I think could setup the camper by himself, he's so into it. Funny story about him.... we were talking one day and he asked if when I can't drive the truck/camper anymore, could he, so we can still go.
Based on that, we've got one down and three to go.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #51
mikell

This will be the first weekend at home in over a month but -5 tonight with 40mph winds and lots of snow it's probably the smart thing to do.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #52
jbrad01q

I have to agree to all these post. We have been taking grandkids with us camping for 7 years. Really wished we had started earlier. We rarely do a trip without some grandkids/or their parents also. We also do a long trip every summer with my sisters and brother. We live in NW Arkansas and last year we went to Yellowstone, Sibley Lake Montana, Glacier and Mount Rushmore. While we were at Sibley Lake we had 6 rv's with family. We took 3 grandsons age 7-16 with us. The 7 year old has been going camping with us since he was 1. They all love it! The only problem is that all the grandkids want to go but unfortunately our TV will only carry 3. We try to alternate years on who goes with us. We bought a Montana Mountaineer bunkhouse last year which sleeps 10 if needed. This year my family will be going to St. George Island in Florida. There will be around 20 of us there. The grandkids will have wonderful memories of camping with Nana and Poppy!
jbrad01q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #53
rschad

Well what does make financial sense? taking a fly away holiday? having any kind of vacation? the only person that perhaps owning and using an rv doesn't make financial sense for is the person who will inherit your estate and even then they are going to get a free rv.
we use ours about 60 nights a year and I mentally use it many more sitting around during the winter planning another trip or thinking about a gadget to make things better in the trailer or just reading this forum. All of that is RV use as well if you ask me.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #54
koko

rschad - isn't that the truth. Worth every penny.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #55
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschad View Post
Well what does make financial sense? taking a fly away holiday? having any kind of vacation? the only person that perhaps owning and using an rv doesn't make financial sense for is the person who will inherit your estate and even then they are going to get a free rv.
we use ours about 60 nights a year and I mentally use it many more sitting around during the winter planning another trip or thinking about a gadget to make things better in the trailer or just reading this forum. All of that is RV use as well if you ask me.
AMEN! I go an sit in mine (with the heat on) take a nap, poke, prod and dream about warmer weather and where to go next.

Been doing a bunch of mods to my Coleman 16FBS to get it ready for a 4 day 3 night boondocking trip coming up in May. I have updated all the lights to LED, adding a 12v port for a fan and working on my solar panel hookups.

Hope to get our first trip of the season in starting in two weeks. Then at least once a month until December. More if the work schedule and momma allows.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #56
BlueThunder34

We took our new Springdale out for the first time last weekend and it reinforced that we made the right decision! Great family time (minus finding a mouse in our brand new trailer!), kids had a blast on the Oregon coast. Caught the mouse and will now have the pleasure of trying to prevent further visitors.
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:14 PM   #57
ColoradoSooner

I know I'm a little late to the party but I just wanted to say I'm so glad you decided to go for it, BlueThunder.

I don't have kids but some of my best memories as a kid are of camping with my grandparents and dad (parents were divorced). When I think of happy childhood moments, it involves being in a campground, swimming in a lake, running through the trees.

What a gift you're giving your kids!

And of course, that's why I still love to camp to this day. We were tent campers for years, then moved to an A-frame pop-up. Getting ready to take possession of a Passport Elite 23RB. I have not regretted a single day I've spent camping. I doubt you will either.

Cheers and happy trails!
ColoradoSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:25 PM   #58
340_Formula_S

I don't regret buying my camper one bit. I've owned it just over two years and have logged over 23,000 miles on it and am currently on the road 1350 miles from home. I've enjoyed every minute.
340_Formula_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:29 AM   #59
Pmedic4

Thumbs up Enjoying the RV

My DW and I really enjoy the RV living. We are on our seventh or eighth different RV, and have never regretted the purchases, as they permit a pastime we enjoy doing.

If anything, we regret we don't get to go more often, as I'm still working, and we also travel by other means, so that takes away from RV time. Once retired, perhaps you won't find me at home!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #60
murphysranch

We used to go tent camping 2 - 3 times a year when the kids were young. Now that we're empty nesters, we bought a trailer and last summer used it alot with the grandkids. So far this year, we've been out once and will be in and out of it all summer again with the grands.

We love it especially when the gas prices dropped recently.
murphysranch is offline   Reply With Quote