Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2014, 05:44 AM   #1
ras100

Cougar Platinum vs. Memory Mattress

We are picking up a 2015 Cougar Xlite 33RES and trading in our 2011 Sprinter. My question concerns the mattress in the Cougar. It looks good with a pillowtop cover. We can't feel any springs sticking through like in our original Sprinter mattress that was just awful. Here's the question: we bought a new deluxe mattress made from memory foam from Overstock.com for about $350 for the Sprinter. Wondering if the we should trade mattresses or just go with the new Cougar mattress. We tried it out briefly and it felt good. Anyone have experience with the Cougar mattress? Thanks for your opinions. Also, what do forum members think of this model and buying from Camping World.
ras100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:55 AM   #2
Javi

The Cougar mattress in our new 333MKS is just fine, is it as good as the $1200 Memory Foam we have at home... NO

but I sleep just fine on it..

However, I have been known to sleep standing up so my opinion might not be applicable.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

We have allowed customers to swap out the mattress they bought for the factory one when trading in. Is that an option with your dealer?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Brantlaker

While the Mattress in the new RV feels good after about a year it will start to sag and the springs will start to come through. My feeling is you bought the Memory Mattress keep it have the dealer swap it out. The original mattress in my 5W felt good at first but went downhill fast. I am quit large in size and need my comfort. The one that you get from Keystone don't last. I love my Memory Foam Mattress.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
gepaine

Regarding buying from Camping World, you should ask about the specific Camping World you are thinking of buying from. I have had a great experience buying from Camping World in Burlington, WA - both sales and service; however, others have complained on the forum about "Camping World".

I believe Camping World stores are franchises, and they are not all run the same way. Even if they were "company stores" which I doubt they are, local management teams could make a big difference in your experience.

So, if you provide the Camping World location you are thinking of buying from, maybe someone else who has bought there will reply.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
GmaPaTime

Since receiving our coach in October, we've been out three times for a total of seven nights. Although I can sleep on a rock and the mattress feels fine to me, my DW wants a better mattress then the one that came in the coach. In her case, she thinks it's too hard. I think it's one of the better ones supplied in all the trailers we looked at though. Since these are platform beds, I don't think the level of confort at home can be achieved unless you have $1k or more to spend. IMO
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I think the mattress is a subjective thing that you'll probably have to decide on yourself. Some like them firm, some soft etc. Some like memory foam, some don't. Some models come with "upgraded" mattresses; I'm sure you have probably seen that in some of the ones you've looked at. I'm not sure exactly what you get for that but some of them we tried actually felt really good. The one in our 319RLS still feels good (8mos old) but who knows how long that will last.

As far as dealerships, I do believe that they are owned by Camping World and not franchises. The one I deal with was a private dealership and when the transition came the owner told me that Camping World had "bought him out". He stayed for 8-9 mos. for the transition then they brought in a new GM from another Camping World.

Your experience with them, from everything I can tell, will be dependent on the management team and staff at that particular Camping World. I would encourage you to get to know the folks you will be dealing with from the GM on down. It has made a world of difference for me and I've had a really good experience. It was a little rocky at first but that was because the entire staff was either new or being replaced. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
gepaine

Bought a Cougar at CW Burlington, WA 3 years ago and the contract was something like "Joe's RV's" (not really, but I can't remember the actual name) so clearly this one was not owned by CW. Maybe they aren't exactly franchises, but some are doing business under a different-than-CW legal name.

2007 Cadillac Escalade
Past Trailer:
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
Old 11-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
ras100

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm dealing with the Ft.Myers FL Camping World and so far they have been very professional and easy to work with. I think we're leaning towards keeping our memory foam mattress and swapping the new one back to our Sprinter. They said we could do that. The devil you know, etc.etc. Can't wait to pick it up on Tuesday. What a great set-up for two people. Hope my truck likes it!
Old 11-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

gepaine

Our deal was similar to what you are saying. Some of the paperwork had the other RV company name/logo and CW didn't even have the original spec sheets for the RVs that they had bought with the dealership - it was pretty unusual. Maybe the one you dealt with was in a similar acquisition phase?
Old 11-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #11
gepaine

sourdough

Found this on Wikipedia:

"Under the Freedom Roads brand, the company sells RVs through a network of about three dozen independent dealers. In 2007, the company opened the Camping World RV Sales dealership; formerly known as Stout's RV, it is located on Interstate 65 south of Indianapolis, Indiana, and is the company's only owned-and-operated RV dealership."

For more info, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camping_World

2007 Cadillac Escalade
Past Trailer:
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
Old 11-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
sourdough

Found this on Wikipedia:

"Under the Freedom Roads brand, the company sells RVs through a network of about three dozen independent dealers. In 2007, the company opened the Camping World RV Sales dealership; formerly known as Stout's RV, it is located on Interstate 65 south of Indianapolis, Indiana, and is the company's only owned-and-operated RV dealership."

That's changed a good bit since it was written.

Here is a link to another story.. I know they've been buying up dealerships for a good while. http://www.rvbusiness.com/2014/09/ca...tates-campers/
Old 11-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
sourdough

Found this on Wikipedia:

As Javi mentioned I believe Camping World went on a major buyout spree. When I bought my RV I communicated directly with Marcus Lemonis, the CEO of Camping World/Good Sam and he indicated to me that the Camping World I was dealing with was indeed "theirs". He put me in contact with his national VP of sales who then managed my deal through the dealership. The sales manager, which hasn't spoken to me since, and the GM both told me I had gotten them in hot water with the "new company". That, combined with the fact that after the acquisition CW sent the new sales manager from the Tallahasse Camping World and the new GM from the Camping World in Albuquerque, NM (if I recall correctly) makes me think they are corporate stores.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As Javi mentioned I believe Camping World went on a major buyout spree. When I bought my RV I communicated directly with Marcus Lemonis, the CEO of Camping World/Good Sam and he indicated to me that the Camping World I was dealing with was indeed "theirs". He put me in contact with his national VP of sales who then managed my deal through the dealership. The sales manager, which hasn't spoken to me since, and the GM both told me I had gotten them in hot water with the "new company". That, combined with the fact that after the acquisition CW sent the new sales manager from the Tallahasse Camping World and the new GM from the Camping World in Albuquerque, NM (if I recall correctly) makes me think they are corporate stores.
Yeah, I got the Lubbock store in trouble when I was trying to buy my Cougar, they had one but I never could get anyone over there to do more than email me a canned reply. A few days later I got an email from Marcus asking me if I was satisfied with the responses to my inquires. I replied truthfully that I was not and that I was disappointed in the whole deal..
Old 11-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Yeah, I got the Lubbock store in trouble when I was trying to buy my Cougar, they had one but I never could get anyone over there to do more than email me a canned reply. A few days later I got an email from Marcus asking me if I was satisfied with the responses to my inquires. I replied truthfully that I was not and that I was disappointed in the whole deal..
I think they are better now with the new GM...but the sales manager may have been the problem, and he may be gone. I haven't seen him the last two times I've been there and there's been someone else sitting in his "spot". My deal was very strange. After talking to Marcus a couple of times and him putting me in touch with the national VP of sales, I never talked to CW again until I went in to the finance manager and signed all the papers! I did communicate with the old GM (who had been the owner prior to the buyout) and forwarded him the emails/pricing I was getting. The VP was also sending that info to the sales manager. The VP gave me the discounts, adds (hitch, brake controller, 2nd a.c., etc) all by email...crazy.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:46 AM   #16
ras100

Just a follow-up to my mattress dilemma. We decided to keep our memory foam and switch mattresses. As we were transferring them we were glad we chose that coarse of action. The Cougar mattress was as light as a feather - I could have moved it over by myself. The memory foam needed two people to move. Got a great deal on it from Overstock.com. If anyone wants to know the model/order info, let me know.