Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #1
itsb

my search

morning all,I got a post started over on towin on TT vs 5W,not realy goin the direction I was hopin for.I will retire in about 5 yr.and might do some full timing.
I own a 5w now BUT I have had many TTs, 5Ws and I am never happy with 5Ws,so my question is why do most do there fulltining in 5Ws or MHs.
Many fulltimers do go BIG,like 38-40 fters,I don't think I would go that big maybe 32,but I do see the xtra room of bigger so I don't know,I just like everything on the same level.
Also I would like to hear about different types of sidewalls and upper level rigs,hard sides.
Like I stated on the other thread,I guess I need someone to talk me into buying a big 5w, but they do look afull fancy for this redneck from the Ozarks
itsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
GmaPaTime

From my perspective, I think it comes down to one question on how your going to be a full-timer. Do you plan on moving around often? Then I would think a 5er is better from a driving standpoint and stowage. If you're going to be staying put in one place for long durations, then maybe a travel trailer is better.

It does appear that the RV industry leans more to 5ers and Motorhomes for the full-timer but the bottom line though is what "YOU" would prefer and are comfortable with.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsb View Post
morning all,I got a post started over on towin on TT vs 5W,not realy goin the direction I was hopin for.I will retire in about 5 yr.and might do some full timing.
)
I'm not sure in what direction your thread in the other forum you want it to go. You asked for and received input from our members on a 5th wheel vs a trailer. You've given several reasons why you really don't like 5th wheels compared to a TT. You've had both and have been able to personally experience and compare the pros and cons of each and much prefer a TT so perhaps we are "preaching to the already converted".

In the other forum, several members have given their opinions about the advantages and disadvantages of each type and have given you their preference. Most of the replies seem to favor a 5th wheel over a TT.

While it may come down to a matter of personal preference, if I were full-timing I would look at a 5th wheel and/or a MH simply because I believe that these units are available in larger sizes, have more options, and can be more "luxurious" than a TT. Consequently, they are better suited for full-timing than a TT IMO.

If you don't like a 5th wheel for the reasons you gave and given that you are selling the one you have, why would you want us to convince you to live full time in something that you really don't like?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
itsb

If you don't like a 5th wheel for the reasons you gave and given that you are selling the one you have, why would you want us to convince you to live full time in something that you really don't like?
well Festis,thats a good question,the 5W I have (2005springdale Clearwater 26 ft) aint something that I would think about living in.I keep thinkin that I am missing something about 5ws cause that's what I see most.My 5w you cant stand up all the way in the bed room and not enough room,every time I hook up I hit my head under the hitch,ya got to crawl around to unpin the lower landing gear.Sorrie I sound whinney,but I think that I am missin something about 5ws. yall have a nice day bob
itsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Bob -
I don't think I'd want to live full time in a 26ft RV either and definitely not in one where you can't stand up in the bedroom.
Have you spent any time poking around RV lots and looking inside some of the bigger 5th wheels that would be better suited for full timing? If you haven't, perhaps you and your wife could spend some time doing just that and I think you would get a better idea of what you are considering.
Spending some time exploring various 5ers and what they have to offer - floor plans, features, options, etc., will provide you with a clearer and more realistic picture.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
hankaye

itsb, Howdy;

Each has it's own set of +'s and -'s. If you are seeking validation for a
decision that you apparently have made then ... I'm thinking you're not
going to find it here.
I've done both and I have what I have for my own reasons. That way if I
find it didn't work out (been 3 1/2 years so I reckon it has), I couldn't point
a finger at someone and say it 's your fault.
These are decisions we need to make for ourselves.
Looking forward to seeing what you choose.
Happy Holidays.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Having owned a Springdale 242FWSSRL and now a Cougar 27RKS, I can confirm that trying to "live" full time in a Springdale is going to be tough. It's not really laid out for full timing and is better equipped to be a "camping fifth wheel" moreso than a "full timing fifth wheel".

There's inadequate room (and inadequate headroom) in the bedroom, the bath is not large enough, the insulation is minimal as is the heating/air conditioning. Holding tanks are "barely adequate" for long trips without having to dump regularly, there's no "double gray tank" setup, and the underbelly is essentially "exposed" without protection in "very cold weather". The comfort level of the cushions and even the furniture is not "up to par" with full time use. (Maybe my butt is just too boney, but I couldn't sit in the Springdale chairs or on the sofa or at the dinette for any length of time and be comfortable).

The Cougar is significantly better equipped, has more (but still inadequate) headroom, a much larger bath, significantly more outside storage, significantly more closet space as well as pantry and cabinet space. The furniture is much more comfortable, insulation is improved, underbelly is better protected and the holding tank system is much more amenable to longer trips without having to dump regularly.

Looking at the Keystone "lineup", there are a number of larger fifth wheels that are "much better equipped than my Cougar. This includes the larger Cougar models as well as the competing brands produced by Keystone.

To "discount" a "full timing fifth wheel travel trailer" based on the impressions gained by owning a "camping fifth wheel" is like comparing "apples" to "oranges".

If you're going to make your decision based on your impression of a 2005 Springdale, then you're doing yourself a disservice. Look at the models that are not only "higher on the production scale" but also at those properly equipped to do what you're seeking.

Also, remember that just as there are people who refuse to wear suspenders, there are those who wouldn't be caught without them. There are those how successfully live full time in travel trailers and there are those who successfully live in fifth wheels. Ask the majority of either and they will probably tell you that they are satisfied with their choice. That doesn't mean the other half is "wrong", just that they prefer "suspenders over belts"

Then there are those few who can't manage to leave home without suspenders "AND" belts...... Hmmmmm yes, we do have a few members who own both a travel trailer and a fifth wheel.......

In the final analysis, it's what you're comfortable with, what you can afford and what fits your "idea" of full timing. Neither is wrong, neither is designed to "fit all situations".

Good Luck with your search for the one that's "right for you"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote